Author Topic: Moreland's Antrim Belfast  (Read 1350 times)

moreland

Moreland's Antrim Belfast
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:51:46 PM »
Hi,
I am researching my family tree and would like any one information on Moreland's from Belfast Co. Antrim to contact me. The information i have all be it limited is:-
Albert Moreland (born around 1895 ish) married Annie ???????(unsure of maiden name) they had several children as they did in those days!!!
Albert, Jack(ie) Unsure if his actual name was Jackie or if it was just a nick name, William (my grandad), Bertha and May. My Grandad William was born in march 1930 in Belfast i don't know the birth dates of the other children.
My Grandad married Anna Brown (also born in march 1930, although she was adopted and i don't know her actual birth maiden name) they had 4 children, Karen Andrea(my mother) Rodney and Gloria (Joy). I have looked at various differeny sites and haven't found much, i have found a Albert Moreland son of Robert Moreland on a census from 1901 and 1911, they lived in sydney street in 1901 and moved to another house in sydney street between 1901 and 1911, i have also found a record of Albert Marrying in 1917 and 1918 so they are obviously 2 different Albert's. It seems quite easy to trace people before 1901 as my wife has got back to 1600's so far with her side of the family but i am stuck as my grand parents were born in 1930 and i don't know the dates of birth for my great grand parents so i need to get those before i can go any further. If any one can help in any way i would appreciate it greatly.

tiglet

Re: Moreland's Antrim Belfast
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »
Hi, if you can get to an LDS (Mormon ) family history centre that has BMD Index, you can find the Volume , page number and district  for your Williams birth.
Either using this information you can send for the certificate, I'm told if you provide the above details and apply by post to GRONI its 5.50 instead of 11,
OR
some kind person who is going to the LDS Family History Centre in Belfast may offer to look up the birth entry in the Register for you if you post the details. (There are copies of the GRO entries for the years 1900-1930 apparently there)
This will give you mothers maiden name so aid your search for the marriage.

Teresa

moreland

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »
Thanks Teresa,
It's good to finally get some info on how to move forward, i have been trying for weeks with no joy at all. My wife is searching for her ancestors and she is back to the 1600's as there are people that have researched her tree and given her all the info (lucky person) so i am playing catch up ( i hate losing lol).
I have quite a few work coleagues working in Ireland so i will see if one would be so kind as to pay a visit to the Records library for me!!
Thanks again.

Stuart Moreland

tiglet

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »
The address and opening times are on the site www.familysearch.org, the centres are run by VOLUNTEER church members and its always best to phone and book a film reader, my local one sometimes is fully booked, sometimes there are only a couple of people there. As it takes an hour and a quarter round trip in the car it would be very frustrating for me to just to turn up.

They will generally take  your phone number and let you know if for any reason they won't be open on the day you've booked as they can't always get another volunteer to cover for them.

Teresa

moreland

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »
Hi Teresa,
I will see if i can get one of our lads in Ireland to call in for me if not i was wondering if (as it sounds like your not too far away) you might be able to have a look for me if you need to go for any of your research, in return i promise not to tell your husband that you have spent money researching your family tree!! LOL only joking, i have the same problem with my wife although on genesreunited it costs 5.00 for 50 credits which gets you 50 birth records if you know the dates so i will probably spend more than Mel has by the time i've finished.
Let me know if you plan on calling in over the next few weeks and i will give you the info required and if you have a paypal account i will gladly pay your petrol!!
P.S are you in Ireland??? or are there centres in the UK?
Thanks again Teresa

Wendl

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »
Hi There...

Try looking for a John Moreland....Jack is commonly used as a "familiar" form  of John in Ireland.

All the Best
Wendy
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

tiglet

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:16:38 PM »
Hi Moreland,
I live on the Wirral and  the one I go to is  in Wales unfortunately they haven't got the Irish BMD, the one that has got it  is in Liverpool but it takes an  hour bus/train to get to which is possible during school hours but I've no plans to go at the moment as I have builders doing an extension and a conservatory plus the added joy of two more wholes in the ground due to a gas leak.  :( and no gas for the central heating or hot water.

There are several LDS family history centres in England that have the Irish Indexes, these are the ones that I know of

Lancashire ~ Ashton Under Lyne
                     Chorley near Preston
London ~ Kensington
Nottinghamshire ~ Nottingham
Merseyside ~West Derby,Liverpool.
Middlesex ~ Staines (up to 1920)
West Midlands ~ Coventry

but as far as I know only the one that has selected register entries is in Belfast .

Your wife would be better of getting a subscription for Ancestry for a year. I used to use 1837 for BMD but having to trawl through finding index entries it was expensive. Also useful is FREEBMD ~ not complete but very helpful. Ancestry  have all the census from 1801 to 1901 for England, Wales, I think the Channel Islands and 1841 Scotland plus free access to the BMD Index for England and Wales.

Teresa

moreland

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 12:16:54 PM »
Just a quick update on my research.
i have found a marriage record for Albert Moreland to Anne Carmichael 26/11/1917 i got the details from ancestryireland.com.
It' agreat site but be careful when you buy credits as it is a bit tricky, you can purchase 5 search credits for 6.00 but you can only use them for one type of search i.e i searched for marriage records of Albert Moreland and it only brought up 2 records, i used 2 of my credits to view and print the marriage records and now i have 3 credits to look at marriages of Albert Moreland!!!! it's a bit of a con but if you have lots of results to view then it's not that bad really.
Any how i have found at last my great grand parents and there fathers, unfortunately it's not a full record so it doesn't show the details of the mothers, however after no luck searching the 1901 and 1911 cnsus for the details i now have i called the national archive office in Ireland and a gentleman there has offered to look up all the information that i have and family members for me free of charge and is going to send it to me shortly so in a few weeks i should be well on my way to building my family tree!!!
Thanks to everyone who gave me info on sites and agencies to search for information and all those who gave me advise on what best to do next e.t.c
Regards
Stuart Moreland
 ;) :D :)