Author Topic: Belfast - so many foreigners???Why?  (Read 29249 times)

charlize

Belfast - so many foreigners???Why?
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:32:34 PM »
Why is that?

arkie

Re: Belfast - so many foreigners???Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
SURE THEYVE BEEN HERE FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. 8) 8)

craigyroo

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 03:21:27 PM »
 in my opinion Since the ceasefires NI is no longer seen as a no go region for immigrants not an altogether bad thing in some ways, when considering the stsate of our hospitals foreign doctors and nurses are much needed.

On the other hand hate the thought of people comming here to srounge we have enough home grown gangsters to do that.

charlize

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »
so, what nationalities, you don't like in Belfast???

craigyroo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
you cant tar a whole nationality with the same brush there is good and bad everywhere.

heather1

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:51:05 PM »
I love the fact that Belfast has a multi-cultural society now.  Nothing nicer than to walk around the City Centre and see people from all walks of life, different nationalities and different colours. .the way it should be everywhere.

neil20

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
Whats the good of this?? I live in an area where there are loads of forgieners,i try to speak to them and dont understand a word they say,they dont all work in hospitals  or even any other work so their not all hear to work. i just dont see the point in it i used to know the people in my area well now the large number of forginers has just [censored] the community up,we are not as close as we used to be  :'(

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:05:09 AM »
I think there are 2 types of immigrants.

Those seeking a better life for themselves, are prepared to uproot and take a risk, and work bloody hard to acheive their goals. For example I know there are a lot of eastern europeans coming in as builders etc. They work very hard, their work is good and they don't charge much. These people should be welcomed with open arms. It was this calibre of immigrant that started the United States and, with that kind of entreprenerial spirit in their blood, helped make the USA the wealthy country it is today.

Then there are the criminally minded immigrants. Those who falsely claim asylum, claim legal aim to fight their case, then when ordered to be deported disappear into the community.
Then there are those that feed off us tax-payers by coming over with no intension of working, claiming unemployment and housing benefit. And not least those who come over for a more sinister reason - to mame and kill.

Sadly the good immigrants get tarred with the same brush that the bad ones deserve.

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 05:47:51 AM »
I found one or two of the comments in messages on this thread slightly offensive. I am not sure what you mean by foreigners Charlize. Neil, if you are still here reading these threads believe me it is very good when we have people of other nationalities amongst us. There are so many good points. You admit you do not understand the language of your neighbours. I presume you do know how to smile and shake hands.  maybe say "Hello" ..how to open the door of a shop if you are both there and they are leaving with a heavy parcel. Try doing some of these things Neil ... very soon you will find you are beginning to communicate with them and maybe even learning a few words of their language.

When my sister and I were little I asked my mother to tell us a little bit about the history of our family. She did not know all that much so she generalised. She expressed it exceptionally well by saying we probably had distant relatives in most of the countries in Europe be it eastern Europe or Western Europe. If you allow for the possibility of a quadroon or octroon here or there then what is a foreigner?   

Belfast was at one time a  thriving industrial city with a busy seaport. Its industries included large breweries, distilleries, linen mills, the largest ropeworks in the world, tobacco manufacturers and shipbuilders. Many Italians settled in Belfast at one time and an area of the City is known as Little Italy. The Huguenots, those lucky enough to have escaped from religious persecution in France, helped establish the linen industry. Many people from overseas have been educated at the fine grammar schools in Belfast and at Queens University. 
I looked at a BBC site about Faith and Belief in Northern Ireland and learnt the following There were Jews in Belfast in 1652, but the present community emerged in the middle of the 19th century. Its numbers increased after 1881 when a large number of Jews from Russia, who were escaping religious persecution, settled in the north of Ireland.

There is a Chinese community in Belfast, indeed many of them speak much better English than Belfast people.

If more Belfast people would spend some time learning about the development and history of the City in which they live, along with its place in Irish History, they would realise that they should be grateful that people from overseas want to come here and spend some time living and working here. Why should we complain .. there are people from Belfast living and working in most parts of the world.  You cannot expect Belfast people to have a free choice of countries where they want to live and work and then complain when other people do the same thing.

Christopher

Twocoats

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 03:26:54 AM »
Folks. Remember the words Global Village. When I emigrated to Canada in 75 it was a big deal. Vancouver was a long way off and we didn't see our families for a few years because of the cost. Now I can fly directly to Belfast on Zoom Airlines for $800 (Approx 400 pounds). The world has become a much smaller place and what you are experiencing in Belfast now that is a more acceptable place for foreigners to move to has been going on around the world for years. Accept people for what they are regardless of color or creed and you will live in a much better world.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
Hiya Twocoats. What the heck do you mean by Global Village ??? You have been in Canada too long man :D
Northern Ireland people moving to live in a new area of the Province, despite being born and having lived in the Province all their lives, are regarded as a "blow in" unless they have lived in that particular area for centuries :D

Taggart 009

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 01:10:39 AM »
Why is that?

Because England is getting too full. L.O.L. 

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »
Why is that?

Hjya Charlize,

On the Belfast Chat board there is a thread titled "All About Me!!!"
Tell us all about yourself. For all we know you are one of those
foreigners you are asking about. My grandmother was Norwegian.
Does that make me a foreigner? I have lived in Belfast for the
greater part of my life.

All the Best, Christopher

Addy

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 12:44:57 PM »
 Because they are good Plumbers !!!  :D
Cheer up !! It could be better  !!!

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 01:04:15 PM »
Welcome to Belfast Forum Addy,

Good on you. We'd be up to our oxters in water if it were not for foreign plumbers. Never mind the plumbers...what about doctors, nurses, staff in restaurants, owners of restauants in fact in
most trades and professions.

Quite a large number of foreigners gave their lives fighting in the Army in two World Wars and Wars
in the nineteenth century so that we have the freedom to ask such questions.