Author Topic: Belfast - so many foreigners???Why?  (Read 29251 times)

Addy

Re: Belfast - so many foreigners???Why?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 01:09:30 PM »
A better life. Haveing been born and Bred in Ireland ( the black North ) We live in a constant state of fear due to indoctrinated imported cultures that have created a Tribal Mentality. We have have torn each others throats out of each other for generations,it has become an attitude to life. Sad but there you are !!! We now look upon any new culture or peopl as different , a threat and to be treated with suspicion.Why they would want to come here with our History amazes me. Maybe their attitude is , " they are that busy hating each other,they will leave us alone " !!! I believe it is a good thing providing they integrate and join in our culture and lifestyle. Fear of change and new experiences is a sure indicater to lack of confidence within ourselves and is the root cause of our Tribal attitudes.
Cheer up !! It could be better  !!!

Addy

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »
A better life. Haveing been born and Bred in Ireland ( the black North ) We live in a constant state of fear due indoctrinated imported cultures that have created a Tribal Mentality. We have have torn each others throats out of each other for generations,it has become an attitude to life. Sad but there you are !!! We now look upon any new culture or peopl as different , a threat and to be treated with suspicion.Why they would want to come here with our History amazes me. Maybe their attitude is , " they are that busy hating each other,they will leave us alone " !!! I believe it is a good thing providing they integrate and join in our culture and lifestyle. Fear of change and new experiences is a sure indicater to lack of confidence within ourselves and is the root cause of our Tribal attitudes.

Addy

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »
Because they are good Plumbers !!!  :D

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »
Addy, there is a possibility that many people came to this country for the excellent Educational system that we have in this part of the world. One of the best exports from Ireland .. both North and South .. is well educated people. I am not certain but think that is about to be wrecked by politicians from England .. are they foreigners? I understand though that many of our top Grammar schools may find it necessary to opt out of the State System.

beegee

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 08:10:32 AM »
the mix of differnt cultures is not only happening in Belfast. Its------ world wide   part of ---Globalisation?

Addy

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 11:32:57 PM »
Ah but !! Are we ready for it ?? That is the question. Insular protective herd behaviour is the norm for the Island !! This is our History,manipulated by others for their own interests. I doubt if we can lift our heads from out of the trough of our own manipulated sectarianism to look around at the changing World. Globalisation !! ?? Is this some sort of International plot against our comfortable generational conflict that is our reason for liveing ??? 8) 8)

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
Addy we are OK. We are more than ready for globalisation. I discussed the matter with an aquaintance the other day .. let's call him "A. Taxi Driver" He told me there are a couple of Egyptians in your part of Belfast. Now if Belfast is ready for people from Egypt Belfast is ready for people from anywhere.

There are a few rogues in that herd you mentioned. Sure now they'll be no trouble at all. We just need to borrow Dotty from the Princess. Dotty will sort them. I hope she's still about. She wan't put down for eating Corgi's for lunch was she?

beegee

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:05 AM »
I doubt if we can lift our heads from out of the trough of our own manipulated sectarianism

with the help of other cultures,, we may be able to see the stupidity of our own failings

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 01:28:47 AM »
beegee

with the help of other cultures,, we may be able to see the stupidity of our own failings

If it is anything like Canada's experience, you will only gain more "manipulated sectarianism" from the immigrants, the Irish do not have a monoply on that. ::)

In one way a Multi Cultural society is a nice thing, as you meet new people, eat new foods, etc .,  But, the new people bring their problems (cultural and religious ) with them, which not everyone will tolerate.
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

beegee

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 03:23:27 AM »
i agree that differnt cultures do bring religous and to a certain point also political problems-----and that will always seem to be...until maybe a generation or even two has been absorbed into the midst. I happen to live in a very multi cultured city, the largest multi cultured in Australisia. Auckland.and up till now there has been no significant problems.but then      maybe the Kiwis are more------ tolerant!!

We have even absorbed a South African  of a few years into the country into the All Blacks!!!another South African into the  N Z Netball Team A Chinese into the national Table Tennis and Ive lost count of the U K guys who have played for the National      Soccer team!

Perhaps therein lies the answer for Belfast

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »
beegee

maybe the Kiwis are more------ tolerant!!

I don't think so. :)

http://www.nzfirst.org.nz/content/display_item.php?t=0&i=2256

Apparently there are some reservations about immigration.

A Populus poll for The Times newspaper and ITV news suggests 13% of UK Muslims believe the 7/7 bombers should be regarded as martyrs, with the other 87% disagreeing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5144438.stm

This is indicative of the cultural problems that have also "Immigrated into" Canada.

Why can't immigrants leave their problems behind when they choose to live in another Country?

beegee

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 05:31:17 AM »
Why can't immigrants leave their problems behind when they choose to live in another Country?

The obvious people to answer that question are the immigrants themselves-try asking some American Irish!

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 05:43:16 AM »
Most of the so - called Irish Americans have never set foot in Ireland. ;D

I am Canadian (born in, and spent the first 29 of my years in Belfast), I never had trouble in Ireland, so I never brought it with me.

beegee

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »
the point I am making is that a lot of Irish take their political culture with them to their adopted country,,,,,,,,,,,, and make no bones about it either! even to a second and third generation

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »
beegee

As you said :-

i agree that differnt cultures do bring religous and to a certain point also political problems-----and that will always seem to be...until maybe a generation or even two has been absorbed into the midst.

Do you not think it is time that the ex- pat Irish "got over it " and put their energy into their new "adopted country"

That is why I said that I am Canadian. Not Irish Canadian or Canadian Irish, but Canadian, it's called integration, but then again that is a "dirty word " to some people.

Not that I am ashamed to be known as Irish, But Canada is now my home, therefor I am Canadian.

If other Immigrants adopted this attitude there would be less trouble in many countries.