Author Topic: Death record index help!!  (Read 2187 times)

moreland

Death record index help!!
« on: October 08, 2006, 10:39:53 PM »
Hi can anyone tell me how you read the information on a record of deaths index??
I have found indexes which have details of my Grandad's death and the it has a column for date of birth which lists my grandad's as 09 fe 1930 which i assume is 09/02/1930 but my granddad was born at the end of Feb 1930, it also list's my uncle as 05 ja 1962 but his d.o.b was 21/02/1962 is the number at prefixing the initials of the month born the actual date they were born or not??
I am a little confused as my granddad died in 1983 his name was William moreland born in 1930 and there is only one death that matches on the index but the d.o.b listed is wrong, it's also the same for my uncle's details??
Can anyone help!!

eddiec

Re: Death record index help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
Can you tell us what kind of index you looked at and where you looked at it? It dosent sound like any index that I have seen here.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

moreland

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:04:02 PM »
hi eddiec,
i looked up uk death records on ancestry.com, i put the details of my granddad in and it brought up the registered deaths for that quarter, when i viewed it it showed a column with d.o.b and it had my grandad's as 09 fe 1930 which is wrong, it has to be my granddad listed as it's the only william moreland listed for the quarter!!
Thanks for replying and i hope this new info might help you to help me resolve as to why they have the date wrong.

tiglet

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:14:03 PM »
Hi Moreland,
Whoever registered the death gave the wrong date of birth from what you have.
The details on the certificate can be wrong. My Dad was registered as Derek but was named after his maternal grandparents surname ~Derrick, he married as Derrick but registered my birth as Derek. Human error!!

Teresa

independentsoul

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 04:34:40 AM »
Dear Moreland,

I have the same issue. I live in the United States, so when I see DOB listings I have to reverse the date and month number to see what matches.  My maternal grand mother was born in Belfast, but died in Philadelphia, Pa, USA. It was overnight and because of this the death index shows the date as the day before.  But I have her social security number and that matches.     

My family also has some glitches.   I have names changes and dates changes.   Some of my family did the name change/ spellings to sound more American.  My grandmomther's date of birth was  "lost" for years because it was a family secret that she was conceived before her parents were married.   We never knew until years later when my uncle found the original records on a trip to Ireland.
Searching Surnames: Maternal side: Agnew, Campbell, Taylor, Thompson, Hutchinson, O'Neill.    Paternal side: Muller, Engelmann, Marshall, Corkran, Rev

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:42:16 AM »
I am confused as to where they got the Date of Birth??

A death entry usually asks for these details
(2) Date and Place of Death    
(3) Name and Surname    
(4) Sex    
(5) Condition    
(6) Age last Birthday    
(7) Rank, Profession, or Occupation
(8) Certified Cause of Death and Duration of Illness
(9) Signature, Qualification, and Residence of Informant    
(10) When Registered    
(11) Signature of Registrar
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

tiglet

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »
I think Moreland has got it from the Ancestry death index 1984 -2004 so its an English certificate, is the above from an Irish death certificate?

This is an English one
1 date and place of death
2 name and surname
3 sex
4 maiden name of woman who has married
***5 date and place of birth**
6 occupation and usual address
7a name and surname of informant
  b qualification (neice, son etc)
  c usual address of informant
8 cause of death
9 signature of informant
10 date of registration
11signature of registrar

Teresa

eddiec

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 03:05:21 PM »
is the above from an Irish death certificate?

Yes! It asks for age last birthday rather than date of Birth.

Age last birthday causes as many problems as a womans age in the census!!

moreland

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »
I have spoken to the head office of BMD in the UK and been informed that occasionally they do come across records with the wrong dates or even names, some times the dates of birth can get mixed with the dates of death and middle names can be entered instead of the christian name

Wendl

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 02:56:23 PM »
Moreland....

I have my grt grt grandfather's death entry from 1889....his sister in law was the informant....says he was 39 yrs at the time of his death....but his marriage registration has him listed as 22 yrs in 1866.  so he would have been born 1844....which would make him 45 at the time of his death.   Seems to be a common thing that the ages can be off.
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

eddiec

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »
The age at death is wrong a lot of times because it is "guessed" by the informant. What makes it worse on many occassions is that women invariably lied about their ages - for a variety of reaasons and not just vanity ;D