Author Topic: Winter in Belfast  (Read 6789 times)

109er

Re: Winter in Belfast
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
Hi Jan your story brought back sweet menories

Chicago

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »
Hi Jan your story brought back sweet menories

Those are the best memories of all.  O0
We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN

ELEANOR

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
What I always remember, it was an endurance test to go to bed. Sometimes you ended up with more clothes on to go to bed, than you had on before you started.
I hope that makes sense. :D
We couldn't afford proper water bottles going to bed, so we would fill up a lemonade bottle and wrap a cloth around it to warm your feet on. :)

My father was always up early and the fire lit for us coming down in the mornings,  of course, that's when he could get me out of bed. He always said, 'I didn't want to go to my bed at night and I didn't want to get out of it in the morning.' I think I am still the same way. :-[ 
We moved to a brand new bungalow in 1963. It had no central heating, so my parents bought a couple of portable two0bar electric fires and a Dimplex oil-filled radiator. My Mum switched them on in our bedrooms half an hour before we went to bed and again before we got up in the mornings. We had flannelete sheets and pillowcases and us girls all wore vests and flannelete nighties. We, luckily, did have hot water bottles, and loads of blankets. My Mum knitted lovely jumpers. I never remember being cold. :)

burnsy1

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 10:18:54 PM »
  a couple of portable two0bar electric fires. :)

Aye, we used to make toast on the fires as well    O0

Cometh the hour cometh the    DUFF MAN...         OH YEAY !!!!!!!!

Beers all round

maryde

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »
  I remember walking back home from the town with the wind and rain cutting the face of us as we passed the mill on the falls, it was a terrible cold spot. We used to stop and get a cup of hot peas with vinegar to warm us as we walked home.
Not Old... just Older

Chicago

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 10:54:50 PM »
We used to buy our hot peas and vinegar from the ice-cream shop on the Newtownards Rd.
We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN

teragram

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »
I loved them myself, but I never liked mushy peas.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Val

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »
I can't stand mushy peas and my husband has to have them when we are having a dinner, like Thanksgiving our Christmas.

Val  :idiot2:

Jeannie

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »
Val - hubby likes Mushy Peas too at Christmas, well -  dried peas soaked overnight, half times I forget to soak them and end up with the two hour soaked ones (same difference eh)

Winter in Belfast - Bleak.   ??? ???

Spent a few Christmases and New Years in Canada in the 80's and loved every minute of it.  Our friends thought we were mad wanting to walk home in the snow whilst they all got into their trucks to go a few streets down!!??

deke

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
Aye, we used to make toast on the fires as well    O0

burnsy that reminded me of my Granny who used to sit in front of the coal fire with a long fork and make toast, that has to be healthy   ;D  but we all survived.    God bless her.
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 01:18:29 AM »

Jen,

was that Fuscos Or Desanos...My older sister worked in Fuscos, your story brings back a lot of memories, but I have to tell you the short trousers with sometimes no [censored] in them were cold too. :-\...lol
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

Mageeka

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 01:37:03 AM »
Val - hubby likes Mushy Peas too at Christmas, well -  dried peas soaked overnight, half times I forget to soak them and end up with the two hour soaked ones (same difference eh)

Winter in Belfast - Bleak.   ??? ???

Spent a few Christmases and New Years in Canada in the 80's and loved every minute of it.  Our friends thought we were mad wanting to walk home in the snow whilst they all got into their trucks to go a few streets down!!??

Jeannoe
I just made pea soup today with the ham, carrots, onions, mushy peas and lentils  I always make two large pots of it and one is split between my two daughters and their husbands  We cannot get them in the USA except at import shops, whose prices are like alligator's jaws.

Chicago

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 02:25:41 AM »
was that Fuscos Or Desanos

I wish I could remember Montrose. It was the one on the opposite side of the chapel.
It had booths were you could sit and have your ice-cream.  :smitten:

Granny who used to sit in front of the coal fire with a long fork and make toast

Did that many a time myself deke, with a short fork as well as a long fork. nearly burnt the fingers of my self a few times.  ;)

- Jen

Val

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 03:34:40 AM »

Jeannoe
I just made pea soup today with the ham, carrots, onions, mushy peas and lentils  I always make two large pots of it and one is split between my two daughters and their husbands  We cannot get them in the USA except at import shops, whose prices are like alligator's jaws.

M,

you can't get dried peas to soak overnight? I can send you some if you would like, no problem.
I make all those soups in the winter and then I freeze them in containers for a really cold winter's night when you want something to fill you and warm you up quick.
My husbands favourite is Vegetable soup (Broth as my Dad called it)and Lentil soup, nice and thick.

Val   :P :P :P ;)

fred g

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Montrose, Fusco's was the place a bowl of hot peas with plenty of vinegar and Desano's for a cup of oxo and cream cracker on coming home from the dance on a cold saturday night