Author Topic: Irish Census missing records HELP!!!!  (Read 2968 times)

moreland

Irish Census missing records HELP!!!!
« on: October 10, 2006, 11:34:46 AM »
Hi,
as some of you are aware i am researching my family tree ( to not much avail)
i have the following info.
My grandparents are William Moreland Born 1930 Belfast Antrim whom married Anna Brown Born 1930 Belfast Antrim (unsure of the year they married)
My Garandad's parents were Albert Moreland and Annie ?????? (unsure of maiden name)
I have looked at the 1901 census for details of Albert Moreland as my grandparents weren't born then, i found only one record on the last census 1911 for Albert Moreland who lived at sidney street west son of Robert and Mary Moreland!!
However i have also searched for marriage records on Ancestryireland.com and found 2 records for Albert Moreland 1 marrying in 1917 the other in 1918, i have looked at both of these and only one of them married a lady called Anne in 1917. Sounds ok doesn't it? Well the problem i have is that it's not the Albert on the census although according to the age of Albert son of Robert he would have been born in 1895, the 2nd Albert i have found was 22 when he got married in 1917 so he also could have been born in 1895?
This present a huge problem as i have the records of both Alberts and there Fathers details and Wife's details but only one appears on the census? How could this happen??
Can anyone tell me how i can go about find the details of Albert Moreland born 1894/95 Married to Anne Carmichael in 1917???
Please help as this is starting to get frustrating!!!
P.S i have also looked up the details of Albert Morelands father David George Moreland Adnt Anne Carmichaels father Joseph Carmichael and both the addresses given on the marriage certificate and they aren't on the census either!!!!!
Please can anyone shed some light?
Thankyou.
Stuart Moreland

Rosemary Joan

Re: Irish Census missing records HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »
Just to throw another spanner in the works, in the Ulster Covenant signed in 1912,  at 34 Sydney West there lived, one Sarah, 1 Mary, 2 Roberts and 2 Agnes.  The Roberts and Agnes' signed at different locations!  The Roberts could have been father and son.  Their signatures are very different I think.  Rosemary
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

moreland

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
Hi Rosemary,
yes i have seen the covenant but it doesn't really make anything worse as the people recorded on the list are the family from sidney street west which show up on the census in 1911, all the names are the same so i assume it's the same family. I'm not sure if they all moved between the 1901 and the 1911 census or if more houses were built around them and the house numbers changed??( a bit of a long shot) but regardless the names i am looking for are Albert and David George Moreland which don't appear on the census other than Albert who lived with his father Robert so there should be another Albert Moreland on the census. He could have moved from anther part of Ireland to Antrim and then married or even from another country!!
Thanks for your reply
Stuart Moreland

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »
Have you looked at the English 1911 census?  I found some of my lost relatives working in Lancaster.  My husband's family moved back and forward to and from England for work. 
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

moreland

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:05:37 PM »
Thanks rosemary,
i will check the census tonight and see if it brings anything up, it may show Albert's Dad but i don't think it will show Albert him self as he would have been 15/16 in 1911.

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 03:09:13 PM »
Stuart... Just as an aside... it would have been relatively common for families to move from one house in a street to another or another street altogether.  I have a family that lived in at least five different houses in that time.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

moreland

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »
Hi eddiec,
i found a marriage record with details of my great grand parents and there fathers but they aren't on the census, i have looked at the 1911 west Belfast census and searched every street on there and the Moreland's i am looking for don't appear nor do the streets given at the marriage!!
I have spoken to the national archives office in Ireland and some one has offered to look all the info up for me so hopefully i should get some results from there!
I relaise that people do seem to move alot as there are families on the 1901 census that have moved by the time the 1911 census was completed and then moved again before the 1912 covenant!!

eddiec

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 03:46:15 PM »
What are the names of the Streets??
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

moreland

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »
Hi eddiec,
The street given on the marriage certificate in 1917 for Albert was 6 Walton street and for Anne 69 Herbert Street. I have been told that those streets are in the Clifton Ward??

eddiec

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »
I think it might have been me... on a different thread...

From Jean McCArthys site the Microfilm numbers are

1901 Census
Herbert Street CROMAC Ward  PRONI film no MIC 354/1/114  LDS film no: 0807900
Herbert Street WOODVALE Ward    PRONI film no  N/K LDS film no: 0807900
Walton Street CROMAC Ward  PRONI film no MIC 354/1/70

Dont know why Herbert Street is showing twice

moreland

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 04:30:11 PM »
Thanks for that info.
Can i view those microfilms online? if so where and how.
Sorry to be a pain!

eddiec

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
The PRONI films can be viewed at the Publioc Records Office in Belfast.

There would also be a set of the films in the National Archives in Dublin.

The other film refers to copies made by the Mormon Church. These can be ordered and viewed at a local Family History Centre.

You should be able to find your nearest one hear http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp