Author Topic: UDR thread  (Read 6231 times)

Chris

• Administrator
UDR thread
« on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:21 PM »
Folks,

UDR thread is deleted. Once again we have a republican v unionist slanging match that gives the Forum a bad image.

Please do not post topics that are likely to start a sectarian argument. If you wish to discuss Irish politics please go to forums such as this.

Let's remember the rules:
No sectarianism. - no advocating or criticising either side.
No flaming. - please keep it friendly.

Thanks.

teap

Re: UDR thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
well said  :)

colette

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 10:06:04 PM »
Chris
It is all well and good stating what not to do or speak about on the Forum
I feel  the need to clarify what constitutes sectarianism , criticizing etc?
Are we going to allow topics that MAY inflame either side.?
If there is no definitve clarification then   this crap will crap arise again and again

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:35 PM »
On a BBS that sometimes deals with enquiries about genealogy and associated matters, it would be very strange not to find the topics of OO, AOH, "Troubles (tm)", catholic, protestant, RIC, RUC, UDR, UDA, IRA, PIRA etc etc etc being mentioned at some time or another.

If any poster went into the Linenhall Library and asked about so and so who was killed by so and so in 1912, would there be a problem?
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
Les, it really depends not  only on the presentation, but the posts that follow.
It can happen with only one or two words  in each post pushing in the wrong direction. or going off the topic in a slight tangent

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:48:43 PM »
Can we let this particular thread go now.  
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

pentio

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:55:51 PM »
Chris

well done on removing the thread. ..

pentio.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 11:02:05 PM »
If anyone does not like the content of any post, DON'T READ ON.

It is just like the TV, if you don't like what is on , change channel.

Each " side " ( for want of a better word ), has their own version of what happened / happens, but some people seem to think that " their side did nothing wrong ".

Other reasonable people, can admit, the problems on both sides, and if one is not willing to do that, just keep your head in the sand and start reading other posts that do not offend your sensibilities.

When the sensible majority of people, silence the ones who can only see thru "GREEN" or "ORANGE" glasses, maybe the healing in Ireland will begin.

It is / was only a small minority of people who keeps forementing the problems.

To sweep it under the rug and not discuss it, IS CONDONING IT
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:09:56 PM »
Les, it really depends not  only on the presentation, but the posts that follow.
It can happen with only one or two words  in each post pushing in the wrong direction. or going off the topic in a slight tangent

Of course M.  We are very practised at steering the topic of conversation.  It's due to this sort of thing, that I think it will take a generation or two to get a "united" island.

However, this forum cannot have a blanket ban on discussing "The Troubles (tm)" because so many families lives have been affected one way or another over so many years, and not just the past 35.

How it can be dealt with and yet provide historic and personal information to others, I don't know.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »
Les I am not asking for a blanket ban, nor did I suggest it.   However when one topic gets discussed it seems immediate whataboutery.
Obviosly we are from a town of strife and these offenses will arise.but how is it supposed to stay on topic for one to opine only ?

EllCee

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:45:17 PM »
Les I am not asking for a blanket ban, nor did I suggest it.   However when one topic gets discussed it seems immediate whataboutery.
Obviosly we are from a town of strife and these offenses will arise.but how is it supposed to stay on topic for one to opine only ?

I didn't say you did ask for or suggest a blanket ban M.  Nor can I say what the solution is, other than to suggest that tolerance and common sense work wonders.

eastender

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:50:38 PM »
Which part of the first post of this thread is difficult to understand? It's pretty clear to me.

Sectarian means narrow minded.

Flaming is the act of sending or posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting, usually in the social context of a discussion board on the Internet. Such messages are called flames, and are sometimes posted in response to flamebait.

Flamebait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the troll often has no real interest in. (This is not to be confused with tweaking someone.)

There are various motives or explanations for this behavior. The most popular is the desire for attention and the desire for entertainment at the expense of others. Posted flamebait can provide the posting party with a controlled trigger-and-response setting in which to engage in conflicts and indulge aggressive behavior anonymously, without facing the consequences those behaviors would certainly bring to bear in real life. In other instances, flamebait may be used to reduce a forum's use by angering forum users.

It is often hard to determine who is really responsible for the degradation of a reasonable discussion into a flamewar. Someone who posts a contrary opinion in a strongly focused discussion forum may be easily labeled a "baiter", "flamer" or "troll". Therefore, it seems especially important to make the rules and focus of a discussion forum public to avoid misconceptions about its accepted use.

Taking the bait refers to someone who responds to the original message regardless of whether they are aware the original message was intended to provoke a response. Often when someone takes the bait, others will point out to them YHBT for "You have been trolled".

Friendly means kind and favourable.

People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Mageeka

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 12:16:43 AM »
Well I tell you this Les
As to my outlook and background in  the whole of N.Ireland affairs I would definately be considered the enemy of "certain" Loyalist and Nationalist folks on this forum,  So for me it may be better to stay away from any of these topics.
Yes, that will somewhat smother my posts, but if that is what it takes so be it I  Believe me, this decision is not taken out of fear of confrontation
Which reminds me .  There is one of our fellow posters whom to-day I promised to E. Mail on something related to his post

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 12:36:05 AM »
Och you know Les
Upon second thoughts and in order to protect myself.
I feel the need to take leave from the forum
will miss most, of you and some of the chat
Take care guys and be good
M

EllCee

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 10:23:55 AM »
Och you know Les
Upon second thoughts and in order to protect myself.
I feel the need to take leave from the forum
will miss most, of you and some of the chat
Take care guys and be good
M

You'll be missed M.  Take care.