Author Topic: WW1 and WW2  (Read 209555 times)

MaryLennon

WW1 and WW2
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:26:35 PM »
Anyone who has an Ancestor or friend from Northern or Southern Ireland and who served in the first or second wars and would like to add their name to a database I'm creating on my site, please email me
[email protected]

sample:-
WW1  http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ww1soldiers.database.htm
WW2  http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ww2soldiers.database.htm

I MODIFIED THE LINKS FOR THE WW1 AND WW2 DATABASE AND ONLY REALISED THE LINKS POSTED DIDN'T WORK WHEN SOMEONE EMAILED ME, I'VE CHANGED THEM IN THESE POSTS BUT IF ANYONE HAS POSTED THE LINKS ELSEWHERE COULD THEY PLEASE EITHER MODIFY THEM OR POST THE NEW LINKS. ...SORRY FOR THE BOTHER  Mary

ulsterstan

Re: WW1 and WW2
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:37:36 PM »
Brilliant site ,wish i could help  iwas born in 1938 but had plenty of  kin who served but they're gone now.   
Stan Sloan.

MaryLennon

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:42:20 PM »
Hi Stan, If you have their army details and maybe a picture, you can still add them :)
doesn't have to be an army picture, I'm sure many people don't have those, as long as they were born in Ireland, they qualify.

its looking a big scarce so far  ::) I need more hours in the day

ulsterstan

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:56:27 PM »
Sorry Mary I wouldn't have a clue as I've been in California 48 years.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:38:13 AM »
Hiya Mary, I've just returned from a couple of hours in a local pub where I had a couple of glasses of wine.
A friend, Susan, is working there now. She is related to an interesting family. John Counsell was connected with the Theatre Royal at Windsor. He joined the army and was there when the Germans put their signatures to the truce at the end of World War II. An uncle of Susan's, in his eighties, living in the north of Ireland, was as far as I know in the army.

MaryLennon

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 12:46:55 AM »
That's pretty neat  :)
I just found some stuff of my Granda's and apparently he was a bit of an entertainer himself  ::)
Wylie & Black, Coloured Comedy Entertainers, as booked by the Belfast Corporation at Bellevue, not very pc now but hey, its the only claim to fame I can find in my history lol
Not even related to John Lennon

Hope ya had 1 for me...cheers

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 01:03:07 AM »
I had one for you Mary. We must meet and have one together some of these days ;)

MaryLennon

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 10:16:37 PM »
you buyin' ?  :-\

Stan. .I can think of worse places to be for 48 years  ;D

orangelil

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
Hi Mary
I don't have a photo of him but my great uncle Tommy died in WW1 if you would like his details for your site?
Karen
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

MaryLennon

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 12:20:04 AM »
Hi Karen, absolutely, send me what you have, if you ever get a photo, doesn't have to be a war picture, can be a more recent one if you like. .
see the type of info I need and if you have a website, add that too or any other links relevant (having problems spelling that lol ) to your Great Uncle, send those also

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ww1soldiers.database.htm

Mary
and welcome, you're my first addition not of my family :)

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 02:28:06 AM »
Mary, I can offer an ARP Warden in the Ardmillan/Ballydorn/Killinchy locality but I'm not sure if I can find a picture of him in his uniform. Will you be doing a special website for ARP Wardens. What about members of the RAF and the Royal Navy? (They're not soldiers though). The father (a Lieutenant Commander) of a guy at school with me went down with HMS Hood (my sister has the address of the guy who was at school with me). A brother of the sailor on HMS Hood was in the RAF and died at age eighteen .. he lied about his age when he enlisted. There was a third brother but I'm not certain which service he was in. The brother in law of the guy on HMS Hood was my godfather .. he served in the army and ended up with the rank of Major. He was later a member of the Alliance Party and a High Sheriff of the City of Belfast. I've lost touch with his two children. They used to live at Holland Park on the Sandown Road.

MaryLennon

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 11:11:39 AM »
yes That's where it gets confusing, I thought I'd just start with soldiers from Ireland, North and South and maybe expand to the UK, I'm not sure if I can handle what 'may' come in if I do all of 'The British Isles'

If you check out what details I need here,  http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ww1soldiers.database.htm   you can give me as much as I can get in the space allocated or can give links to personal sites with further details, really just a summary and the photo doesn't have to be in uniform, not everyone is lucky enough to have those.

If I get as many soldiers as I think I will, I could really do with someone to keep an eye on me to make sure I don't do double listings, that's why it would be advisable to check with relatives of soldiers who are not related to you if you are listing them, incase they have already done so or are planning to.

I can see this is going to get confusing, I'm afraid incase it gets too big for the space I have available, I will list everyone who wants and if it gets to big, well, I'll deal with it then.

Mary :)

brian

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 07:48:03 PM »
Mary,
I have picked up a few photocopies from the Belfast Telegraph which showed photos of soldiers etc. If you're interested, I can send some to you for your site?
I have also a couple of relatives in the army durring the war , and will post you detail soon.

MaryLennon

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 07:52:14 PM »
Brain, Yes please, send them to [email protected] and your relatives' information also, and if sending a picture, scan it high quality so I can get the best image possible.
Mary :)

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 08:20:47 PM »
I'm confused already Mary.

Your first message says anyone who served but your website specifically refers to soldiers. Soldiers are slightly different to members of the RAF and RN. If the website had said "Armed Forces" rather than "Soldiers" the matter would be perfectly clear.

Anyone who has an Ancestor or friend from Northern or Southern Ireland and who served in the first or second wars

Chris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy