Author Topic: Loyalists in the movies.  (Read 13148 times)

Montrose

• Account Closed
Re: Loyalists in the movies.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
Al,

I have watched that Movie, 50 Dead men walking, I also found it interesting, but I wondered about his logic. His reason according to him for informing on other members of his organization. Was that he saved 50 lives by doing that...he doesn't seem to make a big deal about the money he received for his treachery.  Also how of many of his own comrades died because of the information we give to MI5. I have no time for any terrorist organization, but the integrity of this man leaves a bad feeling in my mind... Al some days ago i tried to start a discussion on the " Hunger" story about Bobby Sands...and the discussion thread got locked. I hope this does not suffer the same fate. The Forum is supposed to be about the happenings of things concerning Belfast,... past and present, we are all Adults with opinions and should be allowed to voice those opinions. If the discussions get heated so be it. The past 30 or 40 years were a turbulent time in the History of Northern Ireland... and anything  that happened during that time should be able to be discussed on the  Belfast Forum...this off course is only my opinion   :-\   ....Montrose
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

Mageeka

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 06:10:16 PM »
Monty
Having not read the book, or watched the movie I cannot really comment on the on the top issues  Having said that, I do wish to express a logical guess that money could be involved to a degree, or that possibly there  great amount of pressure piled upon this individual and  he turned to save himself rather than others .  I cannot see any man turn against his comrades just on a whim and state afterwards that he did it to save lives.  It just does not fit the picture IMO. 
Just a thought

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »
M

I have read the book, and seen the movie. But I understand your point and the logic in what you are saying, but this guy  give's an impression he was some sort of hero. And he was doing everybody a favour, my own  personal opinion was that he was a headcase...had to be to survive in the organization he was in and be an informer...he either had to be a very brave man or mental ,maybe he was both. But whatever his reason I don't admire anyone with his morals., but there again what right have I to judge him. I  did not lived in Belfast at that time, a lot of terrible things happened during those years. I really have no right discussing any of these things. I just find it hard not to be concerned, and try to understand what made the people of Belfast get to that stage. I think not discussing the Tragedy of Bobby Sands, and other such things is like ignoring a part of our History. As I said before this is only my opinion... :)     
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

desi

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »
montrose your right everything should be disgust ,as you say it is all part of our history.bobby and the other nine ,it took dedication to do that ,they believed in what they were doing,i know a lot of people will say other but it takes guts ,you may not agree with there political views but you have to admire anyone who would die for something they believe in.as for informers irish history has had them down the years,money is the biggest factor why they turn,look at stakeknife he is the classic example ,there have many on the loyalist side too.
JUSTICE FOR THE BALLYMURPHY 11.

Mageeka

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
I can agree with you Monty  There are very few movies here or books for that matter about the troubles and those that are here are Hollywood made which says it all  ::). The Hollywood portryal or versions of the trobles is totally based on the thoughts of the  money making moguls and they do not stand any scrutiny against the true history.

Eleanor

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
M

I have read the book, and seen the movie. But I understand your point and the logic in what you are saying, but this guy  give's an impression he was some sort of hero. And he was doing everybody a favour, my own  personal opinion was that he was a headcase...had to be to survive in the organization he was in and be an informer...he either had to be a very brave man or mental ,maybe he was both. But whatever his reason I don't admire anyone with his morals., but there again what right have I to judge him. I  did not lived in Belfast at that time, a lot of terrible things happened during those years. I really have no right discussing any of these things. I just find it hard not to be concerned, and try to understand what made the people of Belfast get to that stage. I think not discussing the Tragedy of Bobby Sands, and other such things is like ignoring a part of our History. As I said before this is only my opinion... :) 

When I left Northern Ireland in 1982 I didn't want to think about The Troubles so I just blocked it out. In the past few years I have become more interested in recent history and especially strories about the fabulous people of NI who suffered so much. The reason I started this thread is that people outside NI tend to believe everything they see in the movies, and the stories don't reflect a lot of what happened in the Protestant community. I am Catholic, but I want to hear both sides of the story.  :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

EllCee

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »
"  but you have to admire anyone who would die for something they believe in  "

So you admire the suicide bombers of the World Trade Centre?  And you admire the suicide bombers who kill and maim men, women and children in Iraq?

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

carbolicsoap

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 09:12:24 PM »
Here we go again,more moaning about what we can and cannot talk about.
 When I joined this forum,I read the rules.Some subjects are out of bounds it is made quite clear.Northern Ireland politics are nasty and so was our past,why do some folk have to keep digging it up?I`ve read some posts on this forum and it reminds me that some people are very bitter and twisted.I personally do not wish to read about YOUR politicial viewpoints.I want a bit of craic and a laugh.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »
"  but you have to admire anyone who would die for something they believe in  "

So you admire the suicide bombers of the World Trade Centre?  And you admire the suicide bombers who kill and maim men, women and children in Iraq?

WELL SAID.

EllCee

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
"I personally do not wish to read about YOUR politicial viewpoints"

Don't read them then, Carbo  ;)   It's that easy.  O0  :)

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

carbolicsoap

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
"I personally do not wish to read about YOUR politicial viewpoints"

Don't read them then, Carbo  ;)   It's that easy.  O0  :)

Les,my post was not aimed at you. O0
The rules of this forum tell us that certain subjects are out of bounds,thats why I joined. Yet certain members continue to post thier politicial veiws.I have no choice weather I wish to read them or not,they are in front of me without warning. ;)

EllCee

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »
"Les,my post was not aimed at you."

I didn't say it was. I said that if political posts annoy you, ignore them, don't read them, look at something else, take up knitting.   ;)  :)

carbolicsoap

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »
Desi,

its not usual for us to agree on many things. But I watched the Booby Sands DVD last night and I don't think anyone from any walk of life will not be moved by it. I felt so much for his mother and father as they claimed his body at the end, they were portrayed as what the were.  A Mother And Father ordinary people, in extraordinary circumstances who acted with dignity as they looked at the body of there son. The rights and wrongs of why he died are clear enough he died for a cause he believed in, we cant say he was wrong it was what he believed in. I think it was a shame him, and the other nine brave young men died. Thatcher should have shown she was worthy enough to be leader of a country she didn't, after all they were only asking to be treated as Political Prisoners, they were not demanding a surrender, she was wrong and history will prove she was wrong. Unfortunately that is no consolation to those young men or their families. As regards the Informers history is full of them going back Judas... I just wish this guy was not making so much money out of other people misery. >:( ...anyway Desi until we get back to normal and start arguing again...all the best...lol O0 
Montrose

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

Bobby Sands...stupid mistake ...sorry
Montrose