Author Topic: Old Carrick Hill photos  (Read 86421 times)

Tara Og

Re: Old Carrick Hill photos
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
Obviously not very good at this  ???

boxer1949

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »
Obviously not very good at this  ???
i was the same Tara OG keep trying you will do it PS i think i have photos of peter and your grandma ill post them on

lilybo

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »
, IMG]http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/lilybo04/05-10-2008181540.jpg[/IMG]

Morning All, I think this photo needs to be on this thread, all the women are from Carrickhill and worked in the  old Campbells Mill, my Grannie Holden nee Lizzie O'Hara is the third one in seated in the middle row and was somewhre between 16 -18 at the time, her sister Maggie is the young girl on the end of the middle row also seated.  Perhaps some of you know others in the photograph as it is a little bit of the Hill's history, Lizzie lived in California Street as agirl and in her early married live then moved to Upton Street where she lived next door to the Irvines, they later moved to Turf Lodge and live in the same street as Honeycombe (Monaghan) who lived across the road.
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

lilybo

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
i was the same Tara OG keep trying you will do it PS i think i have photos of peter and your grandma ill post them on

Forgot to say she was third in from the left this photo is of my daddy Freddie Holden

lilybo

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
                  AgHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH what did I do wrong it is clearly not my daddy but Lizzie and Maggie  LOL

Grannylil

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Hi to all!
I loved the photo of Stanhope Street. My grandparents owned a shop at the corner of Old Lodge Road & Stanhope St. Is the photo of the lower half - looking towards Lime Street? I think it is (from my memory).  The tall building (bottom right) was a pawnshop. I vaguely remember the Holden family being mentioned by them  in Upton St.  Were they someway friends of the Reillys? I lived at Wall St and later with my Aunt & Uncle (RIP) in California St. I also recall the name Lizzie O'Hara mentioned by them many years ago.  I am also anxious to trace the 1980's calendar photo named the "Marley bunkers", taken at the bottom of Unity Street. If anyone out there has it I would be most grateful for a copy. The photo of the Mill girls is a cracker! It reminds me of the song "You might easy know a doffer,when she comes in to town with her long yellow hair and her pickers hanging down!" O0

St.Anthony

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 05:16:50 PM »
I remember my ma sending me for milk and bread in big Isaac Nolan's shop, usually last thing at night.  I think Nolan's and Lizzie Loughran's in California Street were the last 2 shops in Carrick Hill.

lilybo

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 06:12:02 PM »
Hi to all! ;D
I loved the photo of Stanhope Street. My grandparents owned a shop at the corner of Old Lodge Road & Stanhope St. Is the photo of the lower half - looking towards Lime Street? I think it is (from my memory).  The tall building (bottom right) was a pawnshop. I vaguely remember the Holden family being mentioned by them  in Upton St.  Were they someway friends of the Reillys? I lived at Wall St and later with my Aunt & Uncle (RIP) in California St. I also recall the name Lizzie O'Hara mentioned by them many years ago.  I am also anxious to trace the 1980's calendar photo named the "Marley bunkers", taken at the bottom of Unity Street. If anyone out there has it I would be most grateful for a copy. The photo of the Mill girls is a cracker! It reminds me of the song "You might easy know a doffer,when she comes in to town with her long yellow hair and her pickers hanging down!" O0
  Yes you'll easy know a doffer for she always gets her man ;D ;D O0  Friendly with the Reilys as far as I know, you might find the photo you are looking for in a book called Green Peas and ~Barley O which is all about Carrickhill

lilybo

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »
I remember my ma sending me for milk and bread in big Isaac Nolan's shop, usually last thing at night.  I think Nolan's and Lizzie Loughran's in California Street were the last 2 shops in Carrick Hill.
Don't remember Issac but definitely remember Lizzie and her brother who was a miserable old so and so, when they left the Hill they opened a shop on North Queen Street but don't know much about them after that

St.Anthony

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 06:26:47 PM »
I think Lizzie's brother was misrable Jim. :idiot2:

lilybo

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »
Thats him he charged for a smile lol  complete opposite of auld Lizzie O0

boxer1949

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »

lilybo

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »
when was this taek boxer and can uname them all  O0

boxer1949

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »
november 6 1981

ollie

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »

heres one i hope its clear enough it of granny Malachie Rooney Nee Flanigan and her sister in law Annie and her friend  i think was mary Elen Macquire or O Neill, granny is on right and her neice Mary Armstrong frm Ardoyne
you only live once but if you live right once is enough