Author Topic: All time favourite pub?  (Read 12795 times)

AL CAPONE

Re: All time favourite pub?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
I'll see you there next friday Moon?

MOONDOG

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »
ILL  B  THE  ONE  IN THE  BERMUDAS BUT  2  FRIDAYS AWAY

honestmay

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
HI TUCKERMAN I REMEMBER THE WHEATFIELD AT CORNER OF LEOPOLD STREET AND CRUMLIN ROAD THERE WAS A FEW BARS QUITE CLOSE AT THAT TIME AND ALL PRETTY GD NO TROUBLE OR U GOT PUT OUT ON UR EAR ,THERE WAS LOUGHS AT CORNER OF DISRAIL ,,,KILPATRICKS ,AT CORNER OF HOOKER ,,ON DOWN AT GEFFORY ST/WAS DAN BOYLES  ;DI ONLY NO CAUSE MY PARENTS DRANK IN THEM  ;)

teragram

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »
Nobody mentioned the Spanish rooms,  great bar.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

giannineo

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2008, 10:32:28 PM »
hmmmm, probably the Pound for entertainment, The Botanic Inn  for finding out about parties,The Big House  and The Morning Star for a pub feeling and the Four winds...there ..Five favourites of which I would only visit the Morning Star nowadays.
       My two favourites were out of town. .72-75 was big bad bomb time for pubs and we went out of town taking turns to drive...so, Grace Neills where we sang out hearts out and got free beer for it and The White Horse in Saintfield for chat.....The Lakeside Inn near Shrigley was great.
  Ach, in its best days the Harbour Bar in Newcastle was  unbeatable O0

Mageeka

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »
G Man
Where exactly is the Morning Star?  There is a bar I called  into one night alone and I felt a bit uncomfortable in it. It may have been that bar. :-\ :-\  But the Deers Head also rings a bell.  This was about ten years ago  I know it was in the vicinity of Lower North Street

EllCee

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2008, 10:49:53 PM »
M, see Les's post with websites....Pottinger's Entry and as good a pub lunch as you will get anywhere  imho....decent pint of the black stuff also O0

Christopher

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »

sat/afternoons  downstairs in the elbow room, sat/nights in the lounge,

Downtown, mostly the Capstan on ann st and the fountain.

A group of us regularly called into the Capstan for soup, sandwiches and liquid refreshment in the early sixties. They were a mixture of people who worked in town and students at Queens. A number were keen sailors ... some sailed on the Belfast Lough and others on the Strangford Lough.

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2008, 11:02:01 PM »
Nobody mentioned the Spanish rooms,  great bar.

That's because very few people who drank there can recall the experience   ;D ;D. I remember Scrumpy at 1s 2d per pint, and not much else  8) ;D ;D ;D ;D

giannineo

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2008, 11:35:11 PM »
aye Bam , and then the inst Dance if you could find it....ye wud think ye were in Barbados when you came out of the Spanish Rooms. .Divis Street looked like a beach and King street like  the sea...if you could swim up College Square East and in to Inst. you could collapse in safety  ::)you certainly looked as if you had a sun tan glow after thon Gayheart stuff ::)If you remember being in the Spanish Rooms ye weren't there ;)

Belfast Dave

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
all I remember is sliding through the seas of boke outside - nice thought for a Sunday night!  ;D :D ;D
Family Names: Wright, Bowden, Dickson, McIlveen, Pollock

Mageeka

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:40 AM »
M, see Les's post with websites....Pottinger's Entry and as good a pub lunch as you will get anywhere  imho....decent pint of the black stuff also O0

Looking at the pic G.  That does not seem like the same bar I am speaking of.  I must give that one a try O0

Mageeka

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »
Anyone know of a new wine bar towards the rear of the city hall ?

Christopher

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2008, 02:07:36 AM »
Anyone know of a new wine bar towards the rear of the city hall ?

I wonder if that would be Ten Square Boutique Hotel also known as Bar Red Bar and Grill.