Author Topic: Gillespie family,  (Read 2979 times)

independentsoul

Gillespie family,
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
Looking for any Gillespie. I do not have much to go on.   It is Isabella Agnew married a Gillespie.  I have not confirmed this information.
I have her death date as 1940.  I
I also have a photo of a grave that has Gillespie on it and notes mention  "bella's grave at...D____r"  I can't decipher the rest.   Isabella would have been born approximately from 1890-1910.

Any idea?  Picture is not clear, but will post.
Dawn
Searching Surnames: Maternal side: Agnew, Campbell, Taylor, Thompson, Hutchinson, O'Neill.    Paternal side: Muller, Engelmann, Marshall, Corkran, Rev

tiglet

Re: Gillespie family,
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »
Hi I've got an Albert Gillespie who I think was born around 1895-1900. He married my great aunt Margaret George of Larne. I'm told he came from Belfast and that it was his second marriage and that he was in associated with WW1, the RUC possibly in the French Foreign legion and had at some stage been a tram driver in Belfast.

independentsoul

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
Hi Tiglet,

I am not sure.  I found a picture of the grave last night and scanned it, but have to fix it before I post it.  It says she died in 1940. 

Dawn
Searching Surnames: Maternal side: Agnew, Campbell, Taylor, Thompson, Hutchinson, O'Neill.    Paternal side: Muller, Engelmann, Marshall, Corkran, Rev

independentsoul

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:52:29 PM »
Tiglet,
Here is the photo:

independentsoul

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
Does anyone have a clue about the back of the picture?  I can't make out past "Bellas's grave at.....D  "    Also, can anyone tell by the picture. 

dawn

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:18:32 PM »
Looks like Dundonald.

on the surround at the right hand side is the maakers name and should be plot no.

If you give the Cemetery a call with the name and date they can give you the rest of the info
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

EllCee

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »
I agree with Dundonald.  You can almost see Stormont on the top of the hill over the house on the left.  That house may have been where the tower block now stands.

The name on the right of the grave stonework is Kirkwood, and the number is one of 136, 138, 139, 156, 158, 159, 166, 168, 169   or any other combination thereof!
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

eddiec

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:55:27 PM »
The problem with the number les is the section prefix is missing. It should have been on it as well.

It looks far enough in to be section D and far enough towards the bottom to be 2.

That would make it D2-136

It will be interesting to find out!
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 12:03:07 AM »
Even zooming in there's no sign of any prefix, or remains of one.

There can't be too many Gillespie graves with that background.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

weedotty

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 04:25:42 AM »
Wasn't Kirkwood the stone mason firm near the cemetery close to Reaville Park ????.  Maybe Les will know if I  have the correct  name and if they are still there. If so, maybe Dawn could call contact them to see if they  too kept  records...just a thought.

eddiec

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 07:58:35 AM »
If I get a chance Ill give Dundonald a ring later.

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
Wasn't Kirkwood the stone mason firm near the cemetery close to Reaville Park ????.  Maybe Les will know if I  have the correct  name and if they are still there. If so, maybe Dawn could call contact them to see if they  too kept  records...just a thought.

Kirkwoods are beside the cemetary, opposite the entrance to Knock Golf Club, beside the "high rise" apartments.

eddiec

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »
Gave Dundonald a call his morning but they couldnt give me any info as apparently their books are at the City Hall and wont be back till Monday.

independentsoul

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 04:44:56 PM »
Eddiec, Weedot, Lesclarke,

Thank you so much. That is so much more than I ever expected to find out.  You called? Thank you. I am in Pennsylvania, USA so that would be quite a call for me.

Dawn

weedotty

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
Hi Dawn,
PA is a big place, are you anywhere near Chambersburg?

The name Gillespie is not  that uncommon In N.Ireland. I went to school with a gal called Iris Gillespie, tall for her age and we went to Orangefield primary School, Off Castlereagh Road, east Belfast.  We were in the same class for two  years, around 11-13 yrs old..  ( 1956-8)  So she'd be in her early 60's now...sorry Dawn, that is all I can remember.  If she is "one of your clan" I'll try to find a school photo that I think she is in and can get a copy for you and mail it from here (Vancouver, Canada)