Author Topic: John Milligen & Co.Ltd, Coal Merchants  (Read 2237 times)

RTB

John Milligen & Co.Ltd, Coal Merchants
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
Milligan's the coal merchants.

Would anyone have any old pictures of the yards and staff, around the 1890-1920 time. My great-grandfather Alexander Moore was the Clerk there.  Would love to find a picture of him. I would also welcome any other information on the company

Alex was also noted for his Caligraphy and Script, he made certificates for various people, when they retired, that sort of thing, would love to find one of those, but some how I don't think so after all this time.

Regards

RTB

sj

Re: John Milligen & Co.Ltd, Coal Merchants
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
Was Milligan's from Ardglass :D O0.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

RTB

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Hello SJ

I don't beleive so. Family story is that Alexander was at the same school as Milligan's son, so it was either Belfast or Co.Antrim. but, we all know about family stories don't we. 

I am still trying to verify Alexander's birth, again family story is that his parents died when he was a youngster, and went to live with relatives in Troon, Ayrshire. On his marriage certificate and census, he has a Patrick Moore down as his Father, there he would, if he had been taken in and treated as one of the family. Alexander returned to Belfast between 1871 (census)-1875 (cert) and married Maria Ann McCaughan at St.Anne's, Belfast in 1875 and stayed put in Belfast until his death in 1923.

Thank you for the interest.

RTB

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:00:42 AM »
John Milligen & Co. Ltd., steamship owners and coal merchants are listed in the 1960 directory. Their office was located at 12, Bedford Street and the company's depot
was at Abercorn Basin. 

RTB

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
Hi Christopher

Thank you for the info, their name is still in the mosaic of the door way at Bedford street.

Richard

sj

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »
Hello Richard,
It can be a real problem when the old customs come into being...my grandfather went to live with neighbours who didn't have any children whilst his own family was quite large .  We can't ascertain if the name that he ended up with was his family name. ::)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...