Author Topic: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900  (Read 11932 times)

gingercat

Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
Hello, am new to this forum but it looks like a fantastic place! O0

I am really hoping that someone on this forum knows a bit about the Whitehouse mill, Newtownabbey and the surrounding area? My great great grandparents Benjamin and Eliza Jane Magee apparently worked there c1900.

Does anyone know if PRONI hold records of the mill employees?

Also, does anyone know whereabouts Erskine Terrace, Mill Road was situated as this is where they lived?
My dad mentioned that there was a felt works near the mill founded by someone called Erskine and I would just love to know if anyone has heard of this place and knows where it was, - I dont think it exists now, and dont know when it would have been demolished.

Ive been trying to get a map of the area c1900 but just cant get one!

Would be very grateful if anyone could help
Thanks everyone!! :) :)

Anthony

Re: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 10:35:30 PM »
Hi

Whitehouse 1911

Northern Counties Ashphalt Company, John Erskine, Proorietor.

Anthony

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »
John Erskine Ltd., 135, Shore Road, Whitehouse, Newtownabbey BT37 9SX
Erection of roof covering and frames

I think the company is still trading but if it closed it was within the past few years.

See this link for the company's e-mail address as well as fax and phone numbers
www.4ni.co.uk/31774x242x11_john-erskine-ltd-newtownabbey.htm

I think there's a photo of the Whitehouse Mill in a book called  

The Industrial Archaeology of Northern Ireland: Ill ... by William Alan McCutcheon
Northern Ireland Dept. of the Environment pub. by Fairleigh Dickinson University Press 1984 http://tinyurl.com/5aaf4n

pentio

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »
Hi gingercat

This article about Whitehouse Cotton Mill should interest you.

www.grimshaworigin.org/WebPages/NichIre.htm

The photo shows a group of workers from Whitehouse Cotton Mill during the early 1900's.

MelonsMum

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »
Hi Gingercat,

Do you know what number the house was?  My G Grandparents lived on the Mill Road.  The House that my G Grandparents lived in is still there and there is a Terrace of houses next door.  My Mum thinks that there may still be a sign on the Terrace with the name on it.  I'll check for you next time I'm passing.

My Mum also told me that there was a Chip shop on the Shore Road, (at the Bottom of Dandy Street) which was owned by Frankie Magee (1940's).  Maybe a relative.

Can you get to PRONI?  they have a map of the area circa 1900.

Melonsmum
Scott, McLean, Crooks, Warnock, Gordon, Nesbitt, Green, Spratt, Davis, McCartney, Millar, Smith, Connor, (Thompson, Lister,  Dodds - England), Simpson

gingercat

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 03:27:11 PM »
wow thank you Antony, Christopher, Pentio and Melonsmum for your replies!!! :) :)

Thanks for all the links and info, definetly something to work on! And the photo is great- I bet my gg grandmother is one of those ladies!!

Melons mum, their address was 6 Erskine Terrace. I will definetly try to get to PRONI but I'll have to take a day off especially for that. Thanks for offering to check out the street name near your mum!

The frankie Magee one is interesting, I'll have to check that one out too. The mystery deepens.. ;D

Again thanks to all for your replies, really appreciate your help!
Ginger

MelonsMum

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi Gingercat,

Just to let you know that PRONI is open late on Thursday evenings (until 8.45 pm).  The Reference for that map is OS6/1/57/1.  PRONI will do a copy for you for about 6.00.  You may even be able to purchase it over the phone if you are having difficulty getting there.

My G Grandparents lived on the right hand side of Mill Road (going up from the Shore Road) and their house was odd numbered.  I don't think that there are any houses from the period you are looking at, still standing on the left hand side of the road, but I could be wrong.  Have you tried looking at Google maps?  You can choose a satelite view which is interesting.

Good luck

Melonsmum

Scott, McLean, Crooks, Warnock, Gordon, Nesbitt, Green, Spratt, Davis, McCartney, Millar, Smith, Connor, (Thompson, Lister,  Dodds - England), Simpson

gingercat

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »
Hi Melonsmum
Thanks so much for that info- I will definetly get my paws on that map somehow!!

I did have a peek at the maps on line and I had narrowed it down to the area where your gg grandparents lived... but now knowing that the side your folks lived on was odd numbered leads me to think that they lived on the opposite side- ie where Toys R us is now situated.

Anyway hopefully the map will solve the mystery!

Thanks again for your help
Gingercat :)

Willie

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
Hi Gingercat,
                   I couldn't believe the coincidence when I read your posting.My father lived on Mill Road as a boy just before WW11. Just last week we were talking and he was telling me that
his father ( my grandfather ) worked in Erskine's Felt Works. He told me that the Felt works had built two houses on Mill Road one for the company engineer and the other for the carpenter. My grandfather was working as an engineer for the Works at that time. I'm trying to find more information myself, but can tell you that Erskine Felt Works was still there last week when I drove past

gingercat

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
Hi Willie

Thanks for your posting- I wonder did the felt works also construct the houses that were Erskine Terrace?

Anyway, I am very interested in the area. If I come across anything that might be of interest to you, I'll definetly let you know

Good Luck
Gingercat

Headline boat man

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 05:37:34 AM »
Regarding Erskine's Terrace.  There was two rows of terraced houses beside the Felt Works.  Today it is occupied by Patton Hire,could this be the original houses.

gingercat

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 09:15:57 AM »
Thanks for that!  Im still looking in to it - have to get that map from Proni but I believe they are currently closed for stocktaking or something!  ::)

jcassells76

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 08:37:50 PM »
 Hi  I lived in Whitehouse as until 1956  Erskines Felt Mill owned by John Erskine and his family who lived in a large estate now occupied by Abbey Shopping
centre  The Feltworks were across the road near Whitehouse Pres Churchwas Erskine Terrace where
a lane went down to Greencastle beach via a Rail archway About halfway down this lane on left was Feltworks  Two  mills in Area one called Barbours at corner of MILL RD/Shore Rd now large DIY centre and other Whitehouse Mill was
150 yds up Mill Rd on right  Please contact and will try to research more
        JIM  jcassells76

Headline boat man

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:11:29 AM »
Just a little way out.  John Erskine's felt works was at the entrance to what was known as the GUT it led to the tide at Upper Whitehouse and not Greencastle.  Down the Gut there was a boatyard with access to the sea,this was filled in when the M2 was built and many of the boats (small motor boats) where land locked,they had to be lifted out by crane.  This laneway which is still there had no houses.
The location of the mills where.  Shore Road at Mill Road, Right hand side Mill Road facing Bawnmore.
Left hand side at Bawnmore Bleaching and dying mill, And Whitehouse Mill the top of the Mill Road B&Q carpark.  Hope this clears it up a little. HBM

gingercat

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
thanks to you both for those interesting snippets of info!! I suppose I will never know where Erskine Terrace was for sure until I manage to get my hands on this map from Proni!