Author Topic: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900  (Read 11917 times)

MelonsMum

Re: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 11:48:34 PM »
Hi Gingercat,

Just to let you know that I drove down the Mill Road tonight and there doesn't appear to be any plaques on the terrace that I mentioned to you before.

Have you had a look in any of the street directories?

Melonsmum
Scott, McLean, Crooks, Warnock, Gordon, Nesbitt, Green, Spratt, Davis, McCartney, Millar, Smith, Connor, (Thompson, Lister,  Dodds - England), Simpson

gingercat

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Thank you Melonsmum for doing that- I appreciate it! Unfortunately I still havent got that map yet- PRONI have been closed for stocktaking-though I believe they open again tomorrow- so I'll give them a call then and see if I can get it. Hopefully the mystery will be solved then! :)

cazste

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
Regarding Erskine's Terrace.  There was two rows of terraced houses beside the Felt Works.  Today it is occupied by Patton Hire,could this be the original houses.
Hi, I was born in 1959 in 125 Shore Road, which is the first row of houses joined onto the Felt Works. My family lived there for years. My name was McTernaghan and we lived with my grandmother Catherine (Cassie) Mehaffy (nee Boyd)

floral

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Hi, I was born in 1959 in 125 Shore Road, which is the first row of houses joined onto the Felt Works. My family lived there for years. My name was McTernaghan and we lived with my grandmother Catherine (Cassie) Mehaffy (nee Boyd)

Hi, I was born in Low Square which would be just opposite the bottom of the Mill Road if you know what I mean. I recall the name McTernaghan. I am sure that  my Granny's coal man lived in one of those houses I think his name was Staunton.

agideo

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 11:26:37 PM »
Hi gingercat

This article about Whitehouse Cotton Mill should interest you.

www.grimshaworigin.org/WebPages/NichIre.htm

The photo shows a group of workers from Whitehouse Cotton Mill during the early 1900's.

Happiness is not getting what you want it's wanting what you have.

agideo

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Hi gingercat

This article about Whitehouse Cotton Mill should interest you.

www.grimshaworigin.org/WebPages/NichIre.htm

The photo shows a group of workers from Whitehouse Cotton Mill during the early 1900's.

Hi just wondered where I could view the photo from Whitehouse Cotton Mill

gingercat

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
Hi

Whoever posted the photos on the forum has now removed them from their photobucket album and as a result they have disappeared from the forum.  If you PM  the person they often put the photo back (as sometimes they arent aware that messing with photobucket also affects forums they have posted their photos in)

Ginger

pentio

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »
Hi agideo

Here is the photo you are looking for, I had removed it from my photobucket album, forgot I had posted it on the Forum some time ago, sorry about that.

gingercat

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:24 PM »
Thanks Pentio!!  :)

agideo

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »
Thank you gingercat for your help and thank you pentio very much for taking the trouble to repost the photo.My grandmother worked there about the time the photo was taken and I wondered if she is there.I'll let you know if I can find her.
    Thanks again
                   Pat

fionalorraine

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 11:37:51 AM »
Hi I posted the orginal photo of the whitehouse workers.  My granny Elizabeth/Lizzie Palmer nee Tranior [linked to McAleaveys and Finnegans] and Aunt Nellie Byrne nee Trainor are in the photo.  I have the original - does anyone know of the names of people in the photo - it would be nice to have feedback.  I'll ask my dad about the Mill and see if he knows the family names.

Fiona

cazste

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Hi I remember Low Square, and the coal man did live there. His first name was Johnny
Hi, I was born in Low Square which would be just opposite the bottom of the Mill Road if you know what I mean. I recall the name McTernaghan. I am sure that  my Granny's coal man lived in one of those houses I think his name was Staunton.

floral

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »
Hi I remember Low Square, and the coal man did live there. His first name was Johnny

Thanks for that do you remember the name of the grocer shop at the top of Low Square very dark inside as far as I can remember. Thanks again,Floral

cazste

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »

Thanks for that do you remember the name of the grocer shop at the top of Low Square very dark inside as far as I can remember. Thanks again,Floral

Yes, the owners of the little grocers were the Conolly's and then the Jacksons. Take care.

floral

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »

Yes, the owners of the little grocers were the Conolly's and then the Jacksons. Take care.

Thanks for that yes it was the Jacksons I remember, made my day.