Author Topic: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900  (Read 11918 times)

cazste

Re: Whitehouse Mill/ Erskine Terrace Whitehouse c1900
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
yes, I remember him. He was called Arthur. He lived a few doors up from us

liz b

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
thanks to you both for those interesting snippets of info!! I suppose I will never know where Erskine Terrace was for sure until I manage to get my hands on this map from Proni!

Hi Gingercat, to throw another Erskine Terrace into the conversation, opposite the bleach green on the mill road was a row of houses and at the top of those going up mill road was a terrace with about 2 cottages I think was Erskine terrace, behind that was a large field where an uncle of mine lived and that field is now the Abbey Centre shopping complex

hilaryc

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Would anyone have any information about a Nellie Erdis who worked at this mill? Real name Mary Ellen. She live in Eden village, Leopoldo St ( when she had my late mother in law in 1922, and gave her up) then Barbour St and Bells Yard , she was born in 1891 and died about 1973, thanks in anticipation!

valkerr

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »
Would anyone have any information about a Nellie Erdis who worked at this mill? Real name Mary Ellen. She live in Eden village, Leopoldo St ( when she had my late mother in law in 1922, and gave her up) then Barbour St and Bells Yard , she was born in 1891 and died about 1973, thanks in anticipation!

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/North_East_Division/992371/
Census Years1901AntrimCarrickfergus RuralNorth East DivisionResidents of a house
Residents of a house 54 in North East Division (Carrickfergus Rural, Antrim)
Show all information
Surname   Forename   Age   Sex   Relation to head   Religion
Erdis   Martha   32   Female   Daughter   Independant
Bell   Maggie   12   Female   Daughter   Independant
Erdis   Nellia   9   Female   Daughter   Independant
Robinson   Andrew   6   Male   Grand Son   Independant
Robinson   Samuel   66   Male   Head of Family   Independant
Robinson   Mary   65   Female   Wife   Independant

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Eden/North_East_Division/193345/
Census Years1911AntrimEdenNorth East DivisionResidents of a house
Residents of a house 203 in North East Division (Eden, Antrim)
Show all information
Surname   Forename   Age   Sex   Relation to head   Religion Birthplace   Occupation   Literacy   Irish Language   Marital

Status   Specified Illnesses   Years Married   Children Born   Children Living
Robinson Mary   75   Female   Head of Family   Congregationalis Co Antrim Irish   Widow   -   50   11   -
Erdis   Martha   44   Female   Daughter   Congregationalis Co Antrim   Flax Preparer   Read   Irish   Widow   2   2   2
Robinson Maggie Bell   22   Female   Grand Daughter   Congregationalis Co Antrim   Reeler   
Erdis   Mary Ellen   19   Female   Grand Daughter   Congregationalis Co Antrim

Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   6 Sep 1892
Groom Name   Thomas ERDIS
Bride Name   Martha  ROBINSON
Church   Carrickfergus Congregational Church
Parish   Carrickfergus
Civil District   Larne
County   Antrim

Civil Birth
Date of Birth   15 May 1868
Name   Thomas ERDIS
Gender   M
Mothers Forenames   Nancy
Mothers Maiden Name   ERDIS
Civil District   Larne
Sub District   Larne
County   Antrim

Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   7 Jul 1856
Groom Name   Samuel ROBINSON
Bride Name   Mary  MCCALMONT
Church   Islandmagee Second Presbyterian Church
Parish   Islandmagee
Civil District   Larne
County   Antrim

hilaryc

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Thank you for this . I have most of this info. And am looking for Thomas"s father and what happened to Nellie after 1922 ! Her two children were to an Alex. Hall from RJ Hall and sons . A daughter in 1922 , and a son in 1925 , Eric. They didn't marry . Alex. Married an Annie S ? And both are buried in the City cemetery. Although they lived in Bangor.

ann ferris

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
Frankie's chip shop was at the bottom of dandy street  frank Magee owned it then. He lived in mount street.it was taken overby the guy who worked in it then and was in it untill it closed can't remember his name

beresford

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
Hi

can I please ask how big would Whitehouse of been in 1879 , on my Grandfathers birth certificate all it says for his place of birth/ dwelling place of father is Whitehouse

Thomas Alexander Beresford born 24th Jan 1879 Whitehouse - father John Beresford mother Mary (Moore ) Beresford .

valkerr

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »

I can't say for sure how big Whitehouse would have been back then, but it was just 1 of 7 villages that made up Newtownabbey, so, pretty small.
"Newtownabbey was formed by the merging of seven villages; Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whiteabbey, Whitehouse and Whitewell."

liz b

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Just a little way out.  John Erskine's felt works was at the entrance to what was known as the GUT it led to the tide at Upper Whitehouse and not Greencastle.  Down the Gut there was a boatyard with access to the sea,this was filled in when the M2 was built and many of the boats (small motor boats) where land locked,they had to be lifted out by crane.  This laneway which is still there had no houses.
The location of the mills where.  Shore Road at Mill Road, Right hand side Mill Road facing Bawnmore.
Left hand side at Bawnmore Bleaching and dying mill, And Whitehouse Mill the top of the Mill Road B&Q carpark.  Hope this clears it up a little. HBM

You are right HBM about the gut etc. the Mill on the Shore rd was Barbours but the main mill was on the shore Rd and the part on Mill Rd opposite Bawnmore was Barbours canteen ( I used to play in there).  Also the Bleach Green with the second mill opposite but there was also another mill on Church Rd. the Upper Mill which the Abbey Centre and all the other shopping areas including carparks have taken over the area's covering the three mills.  Garden Square was on the corner of shore Rd and Mill Rd which separated the Mill and the canteen, both my grandparent's lived there and I was born in Low Square which backed onto the gut.

liz b

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 08:45:30 AM »

Thanks for that do you remember the name of the grocer shop at the top of Low Square very dark inside as far as I can remember. Thanks again,Floral

Yes, the owners of the little grocers were the Conolly's and then the Jacksons. Take care.
There was also the chip shop on the corner I think it was called Little's but not sure

Paddymy

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2020, 11:10:41 PM »
hello, my grandmother's family were Stanton who lived on Shore Road . My grandmother was Ellen  and her sister was Mary who worked in Barbers Mill I believe
Did you know any of  the family? there was also Michael and John . My name is Patricia and I live in London.My grandmother married and lived in Scotland  but I know Mary , known as Minnie, lived in the area for a long time.

ann ferris

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2021, 06:28:30 PM »
Sjohnnie Stanton was our coal man when I was young I am 81 now so it was a long time ago but I remember he was very cheery I lived in mount street shore road

Roadracer

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2021, 06:47:30 PM »
Frankie's chip shop was at the bottom of dandy street  frank Magee owned it then. He lived in mount street.it was taken overby the guy who worked in it then and was in it untill it closed can't remember his name

Billy Tecey! I notice the name "Little" mentioned.

Paddymy

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
thank you Ann. you have a good memory.  I only recently leared he was a coal merchant.Wonderful you remember him. Michael had a wife called Emma Stanton . And two other brothers went to USA I believe. I visited the house on the SHore Road opposite the mill many years  ago. I remember Johnny had horses - and my father talked about the horses. I presume they pulled the coal,  do you remmeber that ? My great aunt Minnie ( Mary) lived there too and took me to her mother's graveside. My great grandmother's maiden name was Storey. What was it like living there?

Paddymy

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »
Hi, I was born in Low Square which would be just opposite the bottom of the Mill Road if you know what I mean. I recall the name McTernaghan. I am sure that  my Granny's coal man lived in one of those houses I think his name was Staunton.
Hello Floral ,  that was my  great uncle was Johnny Stanton the coal merchant  who lived on shore road. Hi sister Ellen was my grandmother. Do you remmebr Mary (Minnie) or any of the other Stanton family  I live in London  my name is Patricia. My father used to stay at Shore Road when my grandmother brought him over in the school holidays.