Author Topic: Browsing in Belfast's bookshops  (Read 2796 times)

Christopher

Browsing in Belfast's bookshops
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
Erskine Mayne's in Donegall Square, West and William Mullan & Son in Donegall Place were Belfast's popular book shops at one time. The University Book Shop on University Road would have been of a similar standard to Maynes and Mullans. There were Bible shops, Gospel book shops and book shops connected with Missions scattered all round the place ... One of the better known ones was the A. P. C. K. in Donegall Square, West.

The Lounge Lizard

Re: Browsing in Belfast's bookshops
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
I enjoyed browsing in Mullan &Sons, great bookshop. I remember in the summer they pulling out this great awnling so you could window shop in the shade. If I remember correctly all the shops in Donegall Place had them.....much classier times.
Memories they can't be bought,they cant be won at carnivals for free,it took me years to get those souvenirs and I don't know how they slipped away fr

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
Have we any members from the Lisburn Road area ??? The 1960 directory lists Hasluck's Library which was located at 633, Lisburn Road. The directory doesn't include a family named Hasluck.

bglunney

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »
i worked in both erskine maynes and the university bookshop in the seventies.i enjoyed my time there  .i still have a few books from that time as to this day i hate getting rid of books ;)

harrydunn

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
I Lived in Charleville Ave, Lisburn Rd from 1962 to1967 just below Haslucks Library i just about remember a bookshop here there were some terrace houses with little window box gardens then a few houses with large bay windows i think the Library/bookshop was in one of these, the block of houses was from the garage at Mowhan St ( next st to Charleville ) to Capstone st, The Public Library was in a big house farther up the Lisburn Rd on opposite side.  

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
There was also Harry Hall's Bookshop in Smithfield.  Brilliant.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:46:09 PM »
i worked in both erskine maynes and the university bookshop in the seventies.i enjoyed my time there  .i still have a few books from that time as to this day i hate getting rid of books ;)

Did Denis and Terence both work in the bookshop or was Terence in their educational section? 

bglunney

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
at that time there was four shops in erskine mayne group. the bookshop, education/ pen shop in donegall square west and one shop on donegall sq east and lastly a newsagents in queens arcade which i happened to be in when a guy walked in pulled a gun on myself and the two girls who worked there and planted a bomb which blew the place to bits .and yes denis run the bookshop.i had forgot about all this until a seen this thread.

slan

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
Spent many a happy hour browsing through both of Harry Hall's shops in the mid 70's. It was our version of the internet. I was a comic buff and it seemed to be the only place that got the American black and whites in on time.

tandemclaire

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
Hi, does anyone have any images of Mullan & sons in belfast??