Author Topic: The International Hotel..Donegal Square  (Read 10029 times)

Macca

The International Hotel..Donegal Square
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:27:32 AM »
Would any readers have any informatin on The International Hotel that was situated at 5/6 Donegal Square South in the 60's & 70's.
Was the hotel converted from the old original terraces that stood on this site or was it a more recent building? Was it demolished after being bombed or just due to development?
I haven't been able to find any photo's or info on the web, so if anyone has any links, it would be much appreciated.

eastender

Re: The International Hotel..Donegal Square
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:11:18 AM »
Hello Macca,

Welcome to the Belfast Forum.

I was able to discover this from the Linenhall Tours site. Hope this helps.

Walk back to the rear of City Hall, to find 5-6 Donegall Square South. This is now a bank but is the former site of the International Hotel, which hosted the formation of the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association in January 1967, on the cusp of 'the troubles.' Glenn Patterson, one of Ireland's most renowned novelists, and a resident of Belfast, captured this era and the atmosphere of the old hotel in his novel The International, which recalls life in the city through the eyes of the teenage hotel barman, Danny Hamilton.

People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

eastender

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 07:16:40 AM »
Macca,

Here's some more about the novel mentioned in the last post.

Set with extraordinary precision on the last Saturday of January 1967, The International(1999) is an account of a day in the life of a leading Belfast hotel, seen from the viewpoint of its barman, Danny. Again, the ordinary leads us to the extraordinary, as the various characters who work and meet in the hotel - including the founding members of the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association - become implicitly connected to the processes of history itself, and to the long violent fall-out of the Troubles which would ensue. The novel is brilliantly conceived and technically perfect, but it is its historical exactitude, which impresses most. Patterson painstakingly recaptures every nuance, every colloquialism, every snatch of conversation and even every fashion detail necessary to the authentic recreation of Belfast 'as it was then, before it was brought shaking, quaking, and laying about it with batons and stones on to the world's small screens...'

The International is an extraordinarily moving yet poignantly arbitrary snapshot of a community framed in its last moments of anonymity and normality. The novel as a whole functions as a validation of Patterson's consistent aim to recuperate - imaginatively - the multiple stories and memories of individuals, and to endorse these as the basis of identity, regardless of political teleologies. It is an approach that defines him as a quintessentially democratic novelist, subtly defying a context that threatens the very basis of democracy.

giannineo

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 07:18:40 AM »
I saw 'Lulu' all alone in a luxury coach outside the International.She was wearing a white fur coat and waved and smiled to me.Managed to wangle my way in to a 'do' with free drink there one Saturday evening in July 1974.I was on anitbiotics for a burst eardrum .and the free booze and tablets left me rather ill on Sunday morning.Nice hotel.There,superfluous info which is of no use to the thread.

eastender

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 07:27:32 AM »
Hey giannineo,

I love human intrist stories! :D Did ye spend Sunday on the white telephone?  ;D

Does anybody know what bank is on the site today?

quarefella

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 11:44:01 AM »
The original building, 2 private houses, went up in 1808 & became the Union Hotel around 1900 & the International Hotel in the 1960s. It was demolished in 1992, the new building on the site is the offices of the General Accident Insurance.

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 03:00:54 PM »
Eastender, I spent the Sunday on the white bowl.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
A really historical Belfast moment then, giannineo.
That's what I like about writing our own history.
We didn't learn such interesting details in History class at school. 

giannineo

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »
Christopher,I took my kids to the Jorvik Centre the year it opened.They could not tell you anything of Viking History but were highly amused by the man having a poo in the village midden.

giannineo

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 05:01:40 PM »
Christopher,I took my kids to the Jorvik Centre the year it opened.They could not tell you anything of Viking History but were highly amused by the man having a poo in the village midden.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »
I'm seeing double on my monitor, giannineo :D BTW I thought there was a thread for Vikings :D

eastender

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the information Quarefella.

I checked all my old books for photos of the hotel; but to no avail.

giannineo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 10:00:13 PM »
Yes Christopher,there was indeed a thread for the Vikings.Yes Christopher,there was indeed a thread for the Vikings.

Macca

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »
Thank you for the information Eastender and Quarefella, it is appreciated.
I will keep an eye open for the book. It is a shame the old Georgian building made it to 1990 only to be torn down. I guess you can't stop progress....or developers. I read No 4 was demolished after being bombed about 1970, I wasn't sure if the other two went at the same time. I have an old aerial shot of the south square and the buildings can be seen. I am not sure of the date, possibly 30s or 40s. It won't upload at the moment but I will try again.

Macca

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
Maybe this time :-\