Author Topic: Belfast's Menagerie Bar  (Read 5274 times)

Christopher

Re: Belfast's Menagerie Bar
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
I'Ve been away now for 35 years....where the devil is the menagerie bar?
Iremember the Talk of the Town,Trocadero Abercorn etc.anyone out there
who might remember the great 'cabaret' days in Belfast?

Hi our gerry,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Menagerie Bar at 130, University Street, is an amazing place. I understand it was an old paint warehouse at one stage. I've made a note to drop in there for a pint in the near future. It's a bar where you're likely to meet some great musicians or DJs who do sets when the drink has got the better of them. I can't tell you too much about the cabaret clubs as Gary Law's Historic Pubs of Belfast doesn't mention them although there's a reference to the Abercorn in the book. However there's no mention of Dermot and Don O'Donnell who ran it in the 1960s and 1970s. 
www.ship-of-fools.com/mystery/2004/855.html

Christopher

our gerry

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
christopher,
thanks for the info. back in the 60/70s i played music in the abercorn for dermot and also in the troc. for gerry rice
and a whole host of other places from shebeens to the opera house.it was a great era in belfast (apart from the troubles...thats a great word ,isnt it...covers a multitude of sins)
i wish someone would write more about the musicians and the clubs of the time

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »
our gerry,

It might be possible to get permission from the holders of the copyright of CityWeek / City Beat to produce a compilation of the articles about the club and music scene in Belfast during the time that paper was published. I'm certain there'd be a demand for such a book ... it's a pity that at the moment those articles are read mainly by people who visit the Central Library and look at the old copies of CityWeek / City Beat.

I see from an article by Stuart Bailie that when Sam Mahood retired from The Soul Truth Foy Vance took over as the lead singer. 
www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radioulster/2008/01/sam_the_man.shtml

Christopher

machinehead

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
|My son was in The Menagerie on Saturday night. He says it's small and cosy, good bands but the Guiness was too warm (I like it warm ) and the lager was also too warm. (Probably a bad thing for lager although I hate lager and rarely drink it)

Overall, the bar sounds good and I'll be trying it soon.
 O0