Author Topic: PEDLOW family of Counties Armagh, Antrim & Down and abroad  (Read 7456 times)

gwp

PEDLOW family of Counties Armagh, Antrim & Down and abroad
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:44:10 AM »
I have just run across this very useful website and used one of the many interesting links (to the National Archives of the UK) to find an 18th-century family member I had not know about before.  So thanks to all you posters for some great information.

For the past 38 years I have been working on a history of all Pedlows everywhere in the world and have collected a lot of data that I am happy to share with other researchers.  The Ulster origins of the family seem to be in the area between Portadown and Tandragee in County Armagh, with subsequent expansion into Antrim and Down, and of course lots moving to Belfast in the 19th century as well as to Canada, the US, England, Scotland, Australia and New Zealand.  If you have Pedlow (Pedloe, Pedlo, sometimes misspelled Padlow in the US, perhaps because of the accent) ancestors, please let me know.  I am particularly interested in finding copies of old family bibles.

The Pedlow surname itself is a very old one, with the first recorded use in 1188, when Richard and Roger Pedelow were witnesses to an Irish land grant (at a time when most families did not yet have fixed surnames).  The name was originally French, with the original "Pied de Loup" (wolf's paw) changing presumably to Ped de Lowe, then Pedelow/Pedelowe and finally Pedlow.  The Pedelowes/Pedelows appear in a number of medieval records in Ireland (all in the Anglo-Norman "Pale" around Dublin) and London until the late 14th century and then show up again in Ulster as Pedlows in the early 18th century.  I have also found some Pedlows in England in the mid-17th century, so it is quite possible that the family had continued on in England and then returned to Ireland - this time to Ulster - with Cromwell or soon afterward.

Greg Pedlow
Mons, Belgium (but originally from Pennsylvania, USA)

Christopher

Re: PEDLOW family of Counties Armagh, Antrim & Down and abroad
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:48:16 AM »
Hello Greg,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've no Pedlow connection in my tree but have heard much about the Pedlows of Lurgan. Cliff Morgan mentioned Cecil Pedlow (Queen's University RFC, Ireland and the British Lions) in My favourite tries www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2394909/My-favourite-tries.html

The Archives section of the Lurgan Rugby Club includes two or three Pedlows.
www.lurganrugbyclub.com/archive.html

Christopher

jp08

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »
For the past 38 years I have been working on a history of all Pedlows everywhere in the world and have collected a lot of data that I am happy to share with other researchers.  The Ulster origins of the family seem to be in the area between Portadown and Tandragee in County Armagh, with subsequent expansion into Antrim and Down, and of course lots moving to Belfast in the 19th century as well as to Canada, the US, England, Scotland, Australia and New Zealand.  If you have Pedlow (Pedloe, Pedlo, sometimes misspelled Padlow in the US, perhaps because of the accent) ancestors, please let me know. 

That's a "One Name Study" in the vernacular.

http://www.one-name.org/

Are you involved with a Y-DNA surname project? You should create one or persuade people to join an existing one - the information is very useful for a deeper historical perspective.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ihdp/ihdp/index.htm

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
1963 J. C. Pedlow's Ballycarnamaghery - published in Belfast by Wm Mullan & Son Ltd.

larryp

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Hi Greg,
My name is Laurence Pedlow, yes some of us are still living in and around Lurgan, be happy to share help you if I can.

laurence

leemagowan

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
My great Grandad was a Patrick Pedlow married to a Florence(Nee Daniels)

Patrick DOB - 24/01/1894 - Born in the Belfast Union workhouse
Florence DOB - 15/7/1898 - Co. Louth
Married 7 nov 1915 - Star of the sea(Whitehouse)
Both Buried in St Marys Acre/Longlands Graveyard/Ballgolan cemetary.

Patricks Father was John Pedlow and Mother Anne (nee Davey)

Patricks grandfather was I believe called Robert, wife not known,

I have exhaused all avenues of research, can you please help me with John and Robert Pedlow, where did they come from, family rumour is abroad somewhere like france or spain, even scotland???

also if you have anything on the Wives/mothers florence or anne that would be great too.

Kind regards

Lee Magowan

PS. Patricks daughter Martha is my Grandmother.

Thank you

Lee

m.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »

Irish Ancestry Search                                       
Entry Details

Record TypeCivil MarriageDate of Marriage22 Oct 1890Groom Namejohn PEDLOWBride Nameann DAVEYChurchBelfast Roman Catholic ChurchParishBelfast Urban 2Civil DistrictBelfastCountyAntrim

District

Streets

Belfast  Urban 1       Duncrue    Street, Fleet Street, Jennymount Street, Little Patrick Street, Pilot Street  (1867), York  Dock         Belfast  Urban 2       Gainsborough    Drive (1907), Limestone Road, Newlodge, Roden Street  (1899), Seaview Street  (1919)Shore Road         Belfast  Urban 3       Agnes Street, Clifton Park Avenue, Duncairn Avenue, Joseph  Street (1940), Liffey Street (1895), Upper Malvern Street (1902), Upper  Meenan Street, Oldlodge Road, Oldpark Road (Lower), Sancroft Street,  Shankill, Shannon Street (1929), Suir Street, Weir Street         Belfast  Urban 4       Balaclava Street (1882), Balkan Street, City Hospital, Fox  Row (1895), Grosvenor Street (1880), Lisburn Road, Botanic, Ton Street  (1889), Ulsterville         Belfast  Urban 5       Argyle Street, Divis Street (1871), Falls Road (Lower),  Millfield, Norfolk Street, Townsend Street, Urney Street (1884)         Belfast  Urban 6       Eglantine Avenue, Etterick Street (1904-05), Rugby Road,  University Street, Wansbeck Street (1900), Wellington Park
         Belfast  Urban 7       Greencastle (1893), Whitehouse, Whiteabbey (1885),  Jordanstown         Belfast  Urban 8       Alliance    Street, Ballygomartin Road, Ballysillan,  Ballyveasey aka Ballyvesey (1874), Ligoniel    Road, Oldpark    Road (Upper), Woodvale Avenue         Belfast  Urban 9       Broadway, Cupar    Street (1905), Falls Road, Limestone Road, Royal Victoria   Hospital         Belfast  Urban 10       Baden Powell Street, Bourton Street, Brookmount, Cambrai  Road, Druse Street, Enniskillen Street, Hillview Street, Linwood Street,  Louisa Street, Mayo Street, Springfield Road         Belfast  Urban 11       Bangor Street (1900-25), Belmont Street, Castlereagh Road,  Castlereagh Street, Donegore Street, Hamburg Street (1903), Mountpottinger  Road (1900), Mountpottinger Street, Ormeau Road, Ravenhill Road, Seaforde  Street (1929), Third Avenue, Woodstock Road         Belfast  Urban 12       Albertbridge Road (1917), Beersbridge Road, Connswater,  Chadolly Street, Cluan Place, Crossley Street, Josephine Street, Roundhill  Street (1902), Susan Street, Trillick Street, Ulster Hospital, Westbourne  Street         Belfast  Urban 13       Belmont    Church Road, Bloomfield  Avenue, Connsbrook, Third Avenue  (1906-07), Knock   Village         Belfast  Urban 14       Belmont Road,  Ballygomartin         Belfast  Urban 15       Divis Street,  May Street, Joy Street, Bosnia Street         Belfast  Urban 16       Albertbridge    Road, Mountpottinger    Road, Seaforde    Street (1939), Thistle Street, Queens Island          Belfast  Rural 1       Whiteabbey   Hospital, Greencastle,  Whitehouse, Cloughfern         Belfast  Rural 2       Cavehill Road,  Upper Ballysillan, Glencairn Road         Belfast  Rural 3       Musgrave   Park Hospital,  Finaghy         Belfast  Rural 4       Glengormley, Carnmoney, Ballyhenry, Whitewell         Castlereagh 1       Albertbridge    Road (1885), Douglas Street (1898), Dundonald, Gilnahirk Road, Roundhill Street  (1899)         Castlereagh 2       Hollywood,  Ballyrobert         Castlereagh 3       Cregagh Road,  Ladas Drive,  Ballygowan Road          Castlereagh 4             

m.

old wallion

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:45:12 PM »
An Anthony Pedlow was in my class in Primary School. He lives in Glengormley

sherrysmithnoble

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Hello,
My paternal Great Grandfather was Robert Pedlow Reavey, born circa 1865 in New Zealand.  His parents, John Reavey and Ann Pedlow Reavey, immigrated there from Ireland -- not sure of the year, but heard they lived there for about ten years before moving to the United States in 1871. 
I have no other information to provide at this time.  I'm just starting to search the many branches of my family tree, but it appears that I fit into yours.
Sincerely,
Sherry Smith-Noble

Whirly

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
My great Grandad was a Patrick Pedlow married to a Florence(Nee Daniels)

Patrick DOB - 24/01/1894 - Born in the Belfast Union workhouse
Florence DOB - 15/7/1898 - Co. Louth
Married 7 nov 1915 - Star of the sea(Whitehouse)
Both Buried in St Marys Acre/Longlands Graveyard/Ballgolan cemetary.

Patricks Father was John Pedlow and Mother Anne (nee Davey)

Patricks grandfather was I believe called Robert, wife not known,

I have exhaused all avenues of research, can you please help me with John and Robert Pedlow, where did they come from, family rumour is abroad somewhere like france or spain, even scotland???

also if you have anything on the Wives/mothers florence or anne that would be great too.

Kind regards

Lee Magowan

PS. Patricks daughter Martha is my Grandmother.

Patrick Pedlow was my grandfather, my father's name was Desmond Pedlow. My dad never talked about his family so I know very little - I don't even know all the names of my aunts and uncles! The only one I really know is Joe Pedlow.

So, Lee, I suppose that makes Martha my aunt, and you my second cousin :)

Familial regards
Jason Pedlow

leemagowan

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
Jason,

I have much information on the family history dating back to mid 1800s.  I have all the names and most of your cousins names on record.

Your father Desmond I believe was in the Royal Marines, is that correct?
If so.. you were one that was not on my radar.  I have been digging into our family history for nearly a year now and have dispelled many myths and stories, to some peoples dismay.

I have managed to gain my grandfathers military war records and medals, it has been very informative and worthwhile.

I now live in the south of England near Salisbury, I think my mother had been close to your father and had visited Desmond in Portsmouth when she was a child (Dont quote me.. I will check with her)

Thank you for contacting me and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Lee
Thank you

Lee

Whirly

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
Hi Lee,

Yes, my dad was in the Marines and lived in Portsmouth until he died. I had not heard of any relatives visiting except for Joe but then it might have happened before I was born or when I was young.

Obviously it would be great if we could exchange info (though I know I will get far more than you from the deal!) so I'll PM you with my email address. I'll also ask my mum if she remembers the visit of your mother but I'll need a name...

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jason

Dip

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:44:34 PM »
Pedlow - Todd connection:
I was was wondering if anyone has found any TODDs in their PEDLOW family tree?
I have a William PEDLOW Todd in my family and I am surmising that PEDLOW was his mother's, (or other relative's,) Surname. William TODD would have been born prior to 1835. William also named one of his sons "William PEDLOW Todd ". I have been unable to make any connections so far. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful!!

tboy

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »
Pedlows used to be the main Crittall window people in Belfast, everyone thought that they were of Italian descent :)

lindasturgeon

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »
My grandmother was Rachel Pedlow (b 1854) from Cordrain.  Her brother Edward emigrated to the US, lived in new Jersey, married Margaret ? and retired and died in New Orleans - no children.  Her other brother William stayed in Cordrain, was married twice (Rachel ? and Annie Vance), but don't know of any children.
Her father was Edward married to Rachel Hammill, and her Grandfather was Thomas.  I presume they were all from Cordrain, but possibly not.  Has any one any info or connections with them?