Author Topic: foundry street  (Read 25285 times)

Yourman

Re: foundry street
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 05:44:46 AM »
My brother and his family lived in Fraser Street...up util about 1970...Name of Gray lived at 12 Newtownards Road end.
I lived in No 7 second door down from Newtownards Rd end Knew Jim,Ann& Maureen Gray. But i moved away in 1958 to beersbrige Rd before emigrating to Aussie

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »

Yourman,

Jim, and Anne are both dead, they died quite young...Maureen lives in Bangor Now, I was talking to her on the phone Xmas day, we still keep in touch. If you send me your name in a PM I will tell her I was chatting to you on line....Montrose O0
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

Foundry

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »
Moores and stanfields next door to the sally ann
Them that made no mistakes,never made anything!

jonjoe

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:30 AM »
foundry st. became the bottom of the sydenham bypass along with middlepath st. you can still see a bit of the old streets brickwork left embedded in the support wall of the bypass.quinns & kearney families lived in foundry st.my dad was born in keenan st. down the side of the pop. my cousin owned the paragon bookies at the bridgend.o,kanes lane ran parallel to foundry st. most of the people in these streets became among the first tenents to move into ballymurphy & turf lodge when the bypass was built. my dad was very friendly with old joe george sn. who had a waste ground across from foundry st. on the newtownards rd. where he fixed & sold old cars & lorries. happy memories of that area i will take to the grave with me.

temp

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »
i lived in fraser st and i rember the grays
seaweed

shamrock249

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:25 AM »
foundry st. became the bottom of the sydenham bypass along with middlepath st. you can still see a bit of the old streets brickwork left embedded in the support wall of the bypass.quinns & kearney families lived in foundry st.my dad was born in keenan st. down the side of the pop. my cousin owned the paragon bookies at the bridgend.o,kanes lane ran parallel to foundry st. most of the people in these streets became among the first tenents to move into ballymurphy & turf lodge when the bypass was built. my dad was very friendly with old joe george sn. who had a waste ground across from foundry st. on the newtownards rd. where he fixed & sold old cars & lorries. happy memories of that area i will take to the grave with me.
Was it not Joe Judge that fixed and sold cars? His brother had a little store around the corner in the Bridge End where he made wicker baskets etc.   My uncle Harry's family came from around that area as well. Their family name was Dalton. Mom & Dad Dalton, Harry and his sister Margaret. Harry worked for a time around there for a guy named Ernie Crawford where they did car upholstery.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

carolw

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »

carolw

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »

shamrock249

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
Nice pics carolw and welcome to the forum.

carolw

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
Thank you  :)

jonjoe

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »
shamrock, i think joe judge preceeded joe george,but i,m not sure. my dads pal at school was one of the judges and they got into all sorts of mischief together. my grannys friend was ginny dalton &mrs mc court wife of john mc court sexton of st.matthews back then.

shamrock249

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
Tha Daltons moved up to Andersonstown back in the late 50s and it was around that time that their daughter Margaret passed away ... she actually died in the dentists chair.  I can't remember if she had any underlying problems to cause this.  Their son Harry Dalton passed away last year or the year before.

jonjoe

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
shamrock, you just struck a wee cord there, was margaret dalton r.i.p. married to micky flanagan from vulcan st.?

bridge ender

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
Hi All
 Carlow the shop in the photo in Frazer St was ownd by Norman Black. He had a shop on Bridge End before that was knocked down.
jonjoe I lived on Bridge End next door to Judges the basket makers.There was also Judges further around Bridge End who dealt in cars and used parts.I have a picture of Bridge End showing it between Grahams Place and The gateway bar.I'll try and uplift it to this post.

Bridge Ender
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

shamrock249

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Your exacty right jonjoe. I had forgotten that detail myself. The last time I remember seeing Micky Flanagan was when a bunch of us from 'Shorts' went over to Blackpool for the weekend. We got the ferry over and then a train. As I was sitting on the train waiting to leave the station I saw him on the platform and that was the last I saw of him. That would have been in the early sixties.