Author Topic: foundry street  (Read 24732 times)

shamrock249

Re: foundry street
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Bridge Ender,  Judges' basket shop had a gateway beside the shop. The gateway had a loft where my uncle and I (I was his apprentice at the time) conducted his business. He was a Coach Trimmer (car upholsterer) and did work for a lot of the car dealers around there, George Aston, Wilson & Leeper, Judges etc.
It would be nice to get that pic uploaded if you can.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

bridge ender

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
 Hi All

Shamrock 249  the loft you speak about over looked our back yard.I lived above Lizzie Grahams shop. 96 Bridge End Judges were 98 Bridge End.We moved to Turf Lodge in early 1961 before the demolition of the area.The people from Middlepath St Khartoum St. and the bottom end of Foundry St. moved later.

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

shamrock249

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
I'm not sure how long we worked from that loft. I remember there was a door in the loft that overlooked the gateway and possible your back yard as well. I don't remember the basket makers first name but I know he was Joe Judges brother and he had at least one daughter. 
We moved at some time after that and rented space from Wilson & leepers and then we moved to a yard which was right at the end of the Queens Bridge right beside the Aeroarms bar.

bridge ender

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
Hi All
  shamrock 249 the basket makers name was Jimmy Judge   he had 3 daughters and 2 sons one of whom was murdered n the Sringfield Rd. area.I'm attempting to upload the photo of Bridge End which has a clear view of the gateway.It was also used in the book Belfast Trolley buses.

BE

carolw

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
Thanks bridge ender. Remember passing that wee shop when I went to visit my Aunt Peggy in Foundry St. They were good days.

shamrock249

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »
Hi All
  shamrock 249 the basket makers name was Jimmy Judge   he had 3 daughters and 2 sons one of whom was murdered n the Sringfield Rd. area.I'm attempting to upload the photo of Bridge End which has a clear view of the gateway.It was also used in the book Belfast Trolley buses.

BE
I know he had at least one daughter because she used to come up to the loft and we would chat. I can't remember her name. It was a long time ago.
The basket shop gateway was situated beside a little street. I forget the name of the street but on the corner there used to be a little cafe where you could get a dipped soda with eggs and sausage.  Great with a big mug of tea boiled on the primus stove. They were the best dipped sodas in Northern Ireland. At least I thought they were.

jonjoe

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
shamrock, i knew micky all my life & we worked in the same place for 30 yrs.(ford motor co.) although i knew about his tragic loss at the time i never knew his wife was a dalton from st. matthews i assumed she always came from west belfast.

shamrock249

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
Hi jonjoe, I remember Harry Dalton showing me where they lived although I forget the name of the street. I know it was around the corner from Joe Judges. The senior Daltons moved up to Andersonstown in the late fifties and Harry married my aunt Rita around that time as well. Harry and Rita lived for awhile in my grandparents home in Cape Street and then bought, I believe, their first home in Glengormley.  I met Harry and Margarets parents a few times and actually met with Harrys dad where he worked. As I remember his dad worked for the city something to do with the waterworks. Harry and I were working over in the Bridge End in Jimmy Judges gateway when he got word of his sister Margaret passing.

jonjoe

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
bridge-ender, back in the day where you lived was there a shop called mammy woodhouses who mostly sold pigs feet.? also was there a family called scullion lived in a shop about there.?

bridge ender

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »

Hi All  shamrock249 hope this has worked hopefully there will be a photo in this post

BE

bridge ender

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »
Hi All
 Jonjoe The Scullions lived in a shop that was their Granda's barber shop.I still see Jim and Gerry Scullion around .Shamrock  the cafe was an ITL cafe and was on the corner of Graham's Place. a small street with only 6 housea in it.Thats where my Granny lived and an aunt lived next to her.
                                BE

shamrock249

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
I remember the houses BE. There was also an abattoir down the street as well. You could also enter the back of George Astons off that street as well

shamrock249

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:41 PM »

Hi All  shamrock249 hope this has worked hopefully there will be a photo in this post

BE
Great pic BE. Brings back a lot of memories. Also shows a little bit of Joe Judges yard as well.  What you can't see in the pic is the big fruit shop hidden by the bus.

bridge ender

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Hi All
 shamrock  the "gut Yard" was down Grahams Place it was actually a sausage skin prcessing firm.There was also a rag store which also hired "hard carts" to the rag and bone men

BE

bridge ender

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »
Hi All

shamrock  I meant hand carts.In the photo you can see one of John Harkness horse and carts. This photo was taken in March 1963.As you state Nabneys fruit shop which was 2 single story buildings and next door was a newsagents.As you say Georges car yard is partially in the photoThis is where we played in the shells of dismantled cars.

BE