Author Topic: foundry street  (Read 26057 times)

bridge ender

Re: foundry street
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
Hi All
 anymore photos of this end of N'Ards road

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
Hi All

shamrock  I meant hand carts.In the photo you can see one of John Harkness horse and carts. This photo was taken in March 1963.As you state Nabneys fruit shop which was 2 single story buildings and next door was a newsagents.As you say Georges car yard is partially in the photoThis is where we played in the shells of dismantled cars.

BE
That could be my dad's horse & cart as he worked for John Harkness at that time.

bridge ender

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
Hi All

eastbelfastbabe I remember the horses and carts going up the Mountpottinger Road to the stables .traffic was a lot lighter in those days.my kids laugh when I tell them that horses and carts were still very common up to the middle 60's

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »
My kids were the same when they were young. No photos to prove it, although they loved the stories I told them about my dad taking us to Templemore Avenue school on the cart. Then a few other people from the 4h's proved my point by saying, my dad also took them to school on the cart.  He also drove the Mayor at the Lord Mayor Show. The photo brought back good memories, Thank You.

carolw

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »

carolw

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »

freddie

« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2014, 02:42:24 AM »
Hi Shamrock 249

Just looking at some old posts as I have just joined the forum

I,m Peter Lawlor you are talking about and now live in New Zealand where did we work together I had an uncle Terry who lived in the same street.

I hope you get this as yours was an old post

shamrock249

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:55 AM »
Hiya Peter, Yes we did work together for a little while. I remember you telling me at the time that you had lived in Canada for a short while. We worked together for my uncle Harry Dalton and his partner Jimmy Osbourne. Harry did the auto upholstery and Jimmy did the sheet metal work. I was an apprentice at the time to the upholstery end of things and we worked in a yard at the end of the Queens bridge right beside the Aeroarms bar. Harry and Jimmy closed their business back in '62 and I got hired on in Shorts where I worked until I came to Canada in 1970. Been here ever since. I worked here for a major airline (upholstery of course)  and retired from there nine years ago. I still have use of the airline passes and have been lucky enough to be able to visit home quite a bit.

Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

freddie

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
Hi there shamrock yes I remember you now that sure was a long time ago it was the USA I lived not Canada I have been in new Zealand since 1977 I have worked in the steel industry all my life
I done a spell in western Aussie in the nickel mines

The Daltons where family friends in fact I think Harry stood for me at my confirmation

My cousin Roisins husband worked for air Canada for a long time they live in Hamilton Ont.

I get home every couple of years nice to hear from you

fred g

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
Carol W the photo of foundry st  looks to be from the bottom of wolff st heading towards fraser st

carolw

« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
I think you're right Fred g. Copied this picture from another site :)

shamrock249

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 08:15:47 PM »
Hi there shamrock yes I remember you now that sure was a long time ago it was the USA I lived not Canada I have been in new Zealand since 1977 I have worked in the steel industry all my life
I done a spell in western Aussie in the nickel mines

The Daltons where family friends in fact I think Harry stood for me at my confirmation

My cousin Roisins husband worked for air Canada for a long time they live in Hamilton Ont.

I get home every couple of years nice to hear from you

Hi Peter, What is your cousins hubbys name. Air Canada is a huge company and you never know, I might know him.  As I mentioned before I was in the upholstery end of things and a Category 13 Mechanic. I worked in Toronto, Pearson Airport.

freddie

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
Hi there my cousins husband was called Bobby Nelson

shamrock249

« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2014, 02:23:49 AM »
Nope, don't recall that name.

BernadetteCarson

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
Hi all you bridge Enders. I lived at bridge end, at the corner. I think our house was 94 bridge end. My mum was madge Evans and my dad was patrick.  we had a hairdresser shop which we lived in the back of. We were next door to luzia graham, I think. I played with Josephine scullion under their shop counter. There where 7 girls in our house. We moved to west belfast as well, when the new bridge was built. Our name was Evans. Would love to hear from anyone that remembers us,  we have lots of happy memories from that time.