Author Topic: Sprinters from Belfast  (Read 4377 times)

giannineo

Re: Sprinters from Belfast
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 08:48:48 PM »
excellent photo of B.B. Ganaway Wendl.I couldn't help notice the camp bed in the tent....sheer luxury-we had 'pallyasses'(no,not referring to our rearmost parts) which were jute sacks filled with straw to sleep on,and army blankets which would have peeled the skin off a rhino.

Wendl

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:19:07 PM »
Thanks Giannineo...

It is definitely a highlight for me when I get new information and wee tidbits of what life was like back then....helps to add personality to the big picture!!! 
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
No problems Wendy; I used to do a wee bita runnin m'self.  ;D ::)

Try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/willowfieldharriers/

That photo is brilliant Wendy. That website is under construction EE. I may have missed a contact on the site but have another site. It's the  NIAF site which lists the local athletic clubs and gives the name of a person to contact. I'll phone the Willowfield Harriers guy this evening to see if he can tell me something about James Watson. If he can't he may put me in touch with the club historian.

The guy I phoned told me that there is a book about 50 years of the Willowfield Harriers and if James' name is mentioned they will get a copy of the book. There was a centenary dinner in 1998 and from what I understand the book covers the second 50 years .. work is now being done on a book covering the first fifty years.

Wendl

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »
Ach Christopher your Brilliant...

Thanks for taking the time out of yur day to make the phone call...I sincerely appreciate it!!! 

Ahh, I wonder if he would be in the first book ???... he was born in 1918, I'm betting he will probably be in the book of the first 50 years, considering the club was started in 1898 I believe.

Once again, thank you soooooooo much!!!!

All the Best

Wendy

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

giannineo

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 11:00:03 PM »
Wendl,just for your info. .B.B. Camps. .you could be lodged in tents(under canvass as it was called ) or in a Hall of some sort,or in a mixture of both.Cooking was often carried out by an ex Army cook,and I remember having to wash dishes as  part of a rota.Great galvanised porridge pots were the worst to clean.Naughty boys got put on fatigues which usually meant extra dish cleaning,sweeping up or something you would rather not be doing.Inspections were carried out daily and there were prescribed ways of folding your bedding and laying out your kit.A Church Parade was mandatory,and evening prayers too.
     There would be inter squad tent prizes for best kept tent or sports contests.Free time may have been granted to senior boys( a chance to chase the local talent).I remember fancyng the solitary choir girl at a Camp at Baronscourt on the Duke of Abercorn's Estate.I sneaked out one night and knocked on every cottage door in the area until I found her(yes,it was worth my efforts).
      Depending on which Company of B.B you were in;the activities varied but would have football and other outdoor sports.
       Of course we resented the discipline,but anyone who didn't enjoy the B.B.Camp experience was probably in the minority.
      A nasty experience for boys at Camp for the first time was to be "blackened" .aye,smeared in black boot polish.Brown polish was much worse as it could really sting the skin.
          I was in two Companies and the second was by far the best.We had canoeing,archery,golf,folk music evenings,swimming, and always something different to do each day.If it was wet,there would be indoor table tennis and games.
            I got put on fatigues once as it was somewhat 'macho' to get into trouble and acquire a 'hero' status.Some hero,I got put on tree/bracken clearing-hellish !

eastender

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 11:43:56 PM »
Wendl,

Hopefully I can get this to you without being corrected or chastised by our resident patron saint of travel.  ;D  ;)

My uncle was at Ganaway many times and taught me this wee rhyme, sung to a hymn tune I believe:

There is a BB camp down at Ganaway
Where we get ham and eggs three times a day
Bread and butter we never see
W'don't get sugar in our tea
That's the way they're treatin me
Down at Ganaway

BTW, the angelfire site I sent you was only to show that WTH meant Willowfield Temperance Harriers. I could have posted a 70s photo of the runners that included a future MP for West Belfast named Bobby Sands, but figured some people might have viewed it as sectarian.  ;D :o
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Wendl

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:34:25 PM »
Hi giannineo

Thanks so much for filling me in on all the details...hee hee hee....sounds like you may have been a wee bit of a terror in your day!!! ;) ;) good on ya....James Watson was in the 24th BB from Belmont Presbyterian....definitely appreciate the insight....

Hi Eastender...

Yes, I printed off the info  on the Angelfire site...as well, saw that Bobby Sands was a Runner with the WTH....and you don't have to worry about offending me...I have family on both sides :D  That's partly why my family came to Canada.  My Grt Granda was Protestant and my Grt Granny was Catholic.

Wee bit of a comical note....I was born and raised in Canada, when I first met one of my cousin's, he told me he was of a mixed marriage...believe it or not, I assumed he meant his wife was not white!!!!  We squealed for hours when I found out what he actually meant!!!   

Thank you again for all your insight and information.....you've made my week!

All the Best
Wendy
Lao-Tzu

eastender

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
wendl,

I remembered the tune to the rhyme. Not a hymn. It was 'There is a Happy Land Far Far Away.'

I was just havin a go at the self appointed censors when I mentioned about sectarian. I knew it wouldn't fizz you one bit.

Glad to be of help.  ;)

Did you say you're on the Island? Victoria, or where?

Wendl

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 01:51:38 PM »
Hi Eastender...

I'm in Ontario..about 55 min west of Toronto.....the family settled here when they came in 1928, there was a large Irish population in the City at the time.  Seems my Grt Granda had friends who came to Guelph, and he must have decided to follow.

Ach I know....being from Canada I must admit, somtimes I just can't get my head around the whole Irish thing...hahahhahaha

All the Best
Wendy
Lao-Tzu

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »
Eastender, do you know in what part of the city the Sands family lived before they moved to Twinbrook?

He left school in June 1969 and worked as an apprentice coach-builder for the next three years. Bobby never expressed any sectarian attitudes, in fact, he ran for a well-known Protestant club the Willowfield Temperance Harriers, and lived in a Protestant estate. But at work he came under increasing intimidation and by 1972 the family were forced out of their home by threats and attacks.

Bobby is probably mentioned in the book about the Willowfield Harriers .. it's the one already published.
I wonder if he won many races.

Wendl

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
Christopher...

at one point the Sands family lived in Rathcoole....if I'm not mistaken they lived here prior to moving to Twinbrook. 
Lao-Tzu

eastender

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2006, 05:53:26 AM »
Sorry, the only sands I know/knew about were the dunes at Castlerock, Portstewart and Ballyferris. Great fun with m'bucket n'spade.  :)

From what I can gather the subject person won a famous race against one Harry West on April 9th 1981.  ;)

Christopher

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2006, 06:13:22 AM »
What the heck has that to do with Willowfield Harriers  ??? >:(

eastender

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2006, 06:21:09 AM »
As much as the majority of your threads have to do with Belfast.  8) ::)