Author Topic: Oldpark road & walton street  (Read 13023 times)

galwayboy

Oldpark road & walton street
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »
Hi,

Anybody have photos of Oldpark Rd & Walton St c 1930's also where are these streets located within Belfast . Are they physically connected

Galwayboy

pentio

Re: Oldpark road & walton street
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:18:23 PM »
Galwayboy

Walton Street started at Crumlin Road, it led to Louisa Street which continued to the Oldpark Road. These Streets were in North Belfast, they were demolished in the 1980's. I have an old map of the area which I will post on the Forum.Give me twenty minutes and I will look it out for you.

pentio

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »
Galwayboy

Here is the map showing Walton Street and the surrounding area, it's from 1900 and didn't change much until the late 1980's, hope this helps.

glenb

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
remember that street, used to cut through it before the troubles from the Bone

DOFFER

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
Galwayboy

Here is the map showing Walton Street and the surrounding area, it's from 1900 and didn't change much until the late 1980's, hope this helps.

hi pentio iv just noticed on the map vistula st then says volga st  the st should have been harrison st as i used to live there perhaps a print error as if one started crumlin rd you then came to first vistula st second st harrison st third stdanube st    they have got mixed up with the river names they being volga and vistula ,lol
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

glenb

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
Any one remember the pubs up in and  around Louisa St (not pubs in the Bone)

Expat74

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:05:51 AM »
Hi , I used to live on Walton St in the 60's, went "Home" for a visit in 2005, first time in 33 years,  was sad to see it gone, there used to be a pub at the corner of Walton St & Hillview, another on Everton St, and on the corner of Geoffrey St, unfortunately I dont remember the names, but it sure is nice to see the map, it was a little different when I lived there, Ewarts street beacame Ewarts Row, blocked it off on the Crumlin side, but was still very similar to the map...Wouls love to see any old photos from th 60's & 70's if any exist..

headtheball

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
The pub in the middle of Loisa Street was called Hanrattiy's and the one in Everton Street was called the Counsellor
The person who never made a mistake has  never made anything

headtheball

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »
The pub at the corner of Byron Street was called the Admiral and the one on the corner of Hillview Street was called the Bush and woned by the McGoverns

barry

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:46:27 AM »
HI AGAIN  HEADTHEBALL  I  ALSO  LIVED  ON  LOUISA  ST when I    FIRST   got married ( 1967  THE  YEAR  THAT  IS )  NUM  17  ,I  COULD" NT  REMEMBER  THE  NAME  OF  THE  PUB  ON LOUISA ST  , the  admiral    byron st  / oldpark
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

waite

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
Hi headtheball my aunt lived on walton street ,ilived on everton street ,my granda lived on ewarts row and an uncle lived on hillveiw street 50s 60s 70s maybe longer.

headtheball

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
Hi guys there is an Oldpark and Crumlin Road thread on the history site

tboy

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
The pub in the middle of Loisa Street was called Hanrattiy's and the one in Everton Street was called the Counsellor
was there a honolulus in louisa street or was that a nickname for hanrattiys? :)

mrs mourinho

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »
Hi headtheball my aunt lived on walton street ,ilived on everton street ,my granda lived on ewarts row and an uncle lived on hillveiw street 50s 60s 70s maybe longer.

i lived in 115 ewarts row then moved to 27 everton street  :P
always look on the bright side of life

edmor

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 04:54:48 AM »
The pub at 45 Louisa st. was actually called Hanula's. The owner was a Polish refugee. Previously it was owned by Oweny something (owen), a wee man with a big white moustache, always wore a bowler hat and an apron. He always used to give me corks to play with. I lived in 37 Louisa St. from '45 to '69.   Wee Sammy and Annie Joseph lived above the pub. Sammy was Jewish and worked as a Postman. Annie was a Dublin native and constantly blattering Sammy for his infidelities.
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697