Author Topic: Shoukri Found Dead  (Read 13252 times)

Headline boat man

Shoukri Found Dead
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
Ihab Shoukri has been found dead,not suspicious according to police

Belle Fast

Re: Shoukri Found Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
When thieves fall out. ::) ::)

jimmyv

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
The house he was found in is a couple of streets away from me. Wonder what he was doing there as that part of the estate is UVF territory?  :-\

Eleanor

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »
Ihab Shoukri has been found dead,not suspicious according to police

Who is Ihab Shoukri?
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Belle Fast

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
The house he was found in is a couple of streets away from me. Wonder what he was doing there as that part of the estate is UVF territory?  :-\
His name grabbed my attention when he was first up on the charges, He's had alot of financial backings for himself  & his bro to rise in the ranks. It s a quick assention and a hard fall.

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »
Who is Ihab Shoukri?

From Google:

Why UDA expelled 'unlikely loyalists'

For two months there has been speculation that Andre and Ihab Shoukri, widely believed to be UDA leaders in north Belfast, were to be ousted. Now, the organisation's leadership has spoken. BBC Northern Ireland home affairs correspondent Vincent Kearney reports.

The Shoukri brothers are unlikely loyalists. The sons of an Egyptian father who married a local woman, they were far from the typical recruits for the UDA, an organisation with links to the racist group Combat 18.

Andre Shoukri, 28, is alleged to have risen through the ranks to take over the leadership of the organisation in north Belfast shortly after Johnny Adair was expelled from the organisation.

In 2004, he was one of the UDA's so-called "brigadiers" who met the then Secretary of State Paul Murphy. In July 2003, he was given a two-year prison sentence for possession of a gun.

Ihab, 31, has denied being a member of the UDA, and earlier this month charges of UDA and UFF membership were dropped when a judge ruled that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him.

But senior loyalist and security sources have consistently said that both brothers are senior members of the organisation.

That is no longer the case. In their statement, the UDA's ruling body, its inner council', said it had expelled a number of members in north Belfast.

The statement did not name any individuals, but senior loyalist sources say they are the two Shoukri brothers and another close associate.

The statement also called on the other UDA members in the area to "begin a process of selection and election to replace the individuals expelled."

It took a short time to write, but many weeks to agree. While the statement suggests that the UDA leadership is speaking with one voice, it has taken them a long time to reach that position.

The UDA is divided into six areas and the leaders of each call themselves "brigadiers".

Four of the brigadiers, Jackie McDonald in south Belfast, Matt Kinkaid who runs the organisation in west Belfast, Billy McFarland, its leader in north Antrim and Londonderry and the leader in east Belfast, have wanted to move against the north Belfast leadership for some time.

But the position of the organisation's leader in south-east Antrim has been ambiguous.

He initially backed the Shoukris and refused to endorse any move against them.

There have been many meetings of the 'inner council' to discuss the issue in recent weeks, but on a number of occasions he refused to attend, sending representatives instead.

It is believed his position changed in recent days when he made clear that he wants to remain with the rest of the 'inner council', rather than stand alongside the Shoukri brothers.

So what is it all about? Why have two of the UDA's most high profile members been expelled?

It is highly ironic that they stand accused by the rest of the UDA leadership of widespread criminality, of running a drugs empire, extorting tens of thousands of pounds from local businesses, and siphoning off money from funds for UDA prisoners.

In court earlier this year, police said Andre Shoukri had gambled 863,000 in a Belfast bookmakers.

Criminality within the UDA is nothing new.

The organisation has long been associated with drugs, extortion and racketeering. Indeed, the last report by the International Monitoring Commission stated that the level of crime within the organisation was endemic.

The problem for the Shoukri brothers was that the allegations about their activities became public knowledge, and at a time when the rest of the UDA leadership is talking about transformation and insisting that it is committed to moving away from crime.

It was a bad time to be washing very dirty linen in public.

There have also been allegations of threats from the north Belfast UDA against at least two of the other leaders, and claims that Shoukri supporters were planning to act independently, effectively creating their own autonomous unit.

History shows that UDA fall-outs often end in bloodshed
In the past, it would have been handled differently. Men would have arrived armed and would have told Ihab Shoukri and his closest associates to leave the country, if not worse.

But today, because the organisation is talking about transformation, of leaving the past behind, those tactics could not be deployed.

So what happens now?

Andre Shoukri is in prison, on remand charged with blackmail, intimidation and money laundering. The movements of Ihab will be watched closely by the UDA leadership in the coming days.

History shows that UDA fall-outs often end in bloodshed. There was a bitter feud when Johnny Adair was expelled from the organisation four years ago, resulting in a number of deaths including John Gregg, a "brigadier" killed by Adair supporters.

Another UDA leader, Jim Gray, was shot dead by former associates in east Belfast last October in another internal dispute over allegations of criminal activity including drug dealing.

The so-called north Belfast brigade appears to be isolated. It is said to have up to 800 members, but the vast majority are inactive.

There is a hard core of a few dozen seasoned terrorists and their decision will determine how this latest chapter in the history of the UDA ends.

The UDA statement makes it clear that it wants what it calls its "valued" members in north Belfast to select a new leadership.

They now have a clear choice - agree or stand by the Shoukri brothers and risk confrontation with the rest of the organisation.

And even if the rank and file UDA membership in north Belfast agrees to support the decision by the leadership, there is no guarantee that the Shoukri faction will accept it.

If they don't, the UDA could be embroiled in yet another bloody dispute.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/northern_ireland/5101420.stm

Published: 2006/06/21 09:59:57 GMT

BBC MMVIII
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Belle Fast

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
Les why aren't you using wikepedia??? ???

DOFFER

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 02:01:19 PM »
thanks for info les i was just about to ask who he was now i know ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
Got a text message this morning from a friend back in Belfast telling me this news, so looked up the UTV website. It's saying that police think it was a drug overdose.
Jimmyv, do you have any "local" news? I know that back on the Shankill we all knew a lot more about things than what anyone could read online or in the papers.

Andre Shoukri once told someone close to me that being bullied whilst at secondary school left them no option but to join an organisation to keep away the bullies.

Having children of mixed race and seeing how my boys were bullied I'm glad I took them out of that situation before they reached an age were they could have been lead the same down the same route.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
Thanks, Les. No suspicious circumstances, eh? :idiot2:
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »

wikepedia isn't that reliable....it can be changed by anyone.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »

No particular reason. 

However, it can be unreliable as entries can be edited.  In this case, the BBC is good enough and was at the top of the Google page.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

teap

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »

EllCee

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
Thanks, Les. No suspicious circumstances, eh? :idiot2:

Don't know. Do you have any more details than we have been given so far?

Belle Fast

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 02:19:22 PM »
Got a text message this morning from a friend back in Belfast telling me this news, so looked up the UTV website. It's saying that police think it was a drug overdose.
Jimmyv, do you have any "local" news? I know that back on the Shankill we all knew a lot more about things than what anyone could read online or in the papers.

Andre Shoukri once told someone close to me that being bullied whilst at secondary school left them no option but to join an organisation to keep away the bullies.

Having children of mixed race and seeing how my boys were bullied I'm glad I took them out of that situation before they reached an age were they could have been lead the same down the same route.
terrorists/drug dealers  choose their profession and get rewarded kindly for every act. I'll tell you a story as Max Bygraves used to say.  I have been on the
receiving end of the behaviour of a UVF drug lord  he served 2 years in prison for his behaviour towards me  an absolute vicious [censored] and an added bonus 5 yrs later his druggy mates topped him in a carpark in Bangor, You can run but you can't hide