Author Topic: Boomer / McMaster Belfast  (Read 3867 times)

misha231

Boomer / McMaster Belfast
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
I am looking for information about John Boomer and Agnes McMaster.
I am trying to find their birth dates, parents names and or marriage information.
I know that they had the following children:
James Hawthorne Boomer b 1870
Ellen Jane Boomer b 1872
Robert Stanfield Boomer b. 1875
George Boomer b.1877
David William Boomer b. 1883 (my great grandfather)
There mayhave been a few more children Agnes and Thomas but I can not find their details.
The family lived at Faulkner Street, Belfast and later were living at 24 Taylor St, Belfast.
John Boomer was a noted as a Paper Cutter and Printer and may have worked at Blackie and Sons ,97 Donegall St, Belfast.
I am trying to link my family to the huguenot Boomer family from around Lisburn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Michelle

giannineo

Re: Boomer / McMaster Belfast
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
misha, I am  not knowlegeable with genealogy...but the name Boomer rang a bell.... circa 1965 there was a Barbara Boomer at Methodist College Belfast and I am sure she was from about Magheralave Road , Lisburn.The Methody website ..Methody.org.uk may give you some help with that... a looker was Barbara.

doe

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:52 AM »
Hi misha,
The Boomer family from Derryaghy/Magheralave area was my ancestors. There is a  link to the Huguenots for the Boomers (Bulmer) it is just trying to find anything,  the way the records are. I have some information but will have to look it up. I have been looking for so long and haven't met anyone yet who is informed about the connection.

misha231

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
Hi misha,
The Boomer family from Derryaghy/Magheralave area was my ancestors. There is a  link to the Huguenots for the Boomers (Bulmer) it is just trying to find anything,  the way the records are. I have some information but will have to look it up. I have been looking for so long and haven't met anyone yet who is informed about the connection.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have found a lot of information about the earlier generations of the family which seem to originate with George and Rainey Bullmer who were blacksmiths and were in the Lisburn area by 1690. They were Huguenots who had fleed Northern France. It is said that Rainey Boomer and his wife meet King William of Orange on his way to the Battle of the Boyne.

My problem is trying to find information about my John Boomer and his wife Agnes McMaster. Concidering they were having children in 1870, I presume they were married around 1868/ 9 and that they were born sometime around the late 1840's early 1850s.

I have a hunch that John Boomer may have had links to Knockbreda as my Great Grandfather David William Boomer was married at WILLOWFIELD Church of Ireland in Knockbreda in 1905.

Many of my Boomer family left Belfast before and just after the Great War to move to Detroit US, although some lines of the family are still around Northen Ireland. Especially the family of Robert Stanfield Boomer. One of his grandsons was the late Cormac J Boomer (R.I.P) of the SDLP.

Hopefully I will be able to find information on John's parents so I can get a step closer to our Huguenot heretiage.

sadowds

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
Entry Details
Record Type   Civil Birth
Date of Birth   29 May 1870
Name   James Hawthorne BOOMER
Gender   M
Fathers Name   John BOOMER
Mothers Forenames   Agnes
Mothers Maiden Name   MCMASTER
Civil District    Belfast
Sub District   Belfast No 4
County   Antrim

family names:Dowds, Linton, Stewart

sadowds

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »
Date of Birth   17 Sep 1872
Name   Ellen Jane BOOMER
Gender   F
County   Antrim

sadowds

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »
Date of Birth   30 Apr 1875
Name   Robert BOOMER
Gender   M
County   Antrim

misha231

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
Date of Birth   30 Apr 1875
Name   Robert BOOMER
Gender   M
County   Antrim

Thank you very much for these details.  I presume this information came from Emerald Ancestors?

I was wondering if you have access to this site if you might be able to look at a few more records for me. If so I can send you the details...

Thank you once again 
Regards
Michelle
Amsterdam , The Netherlands

P.S.
Would anyone have any idea how I can go about finding information for John Boomber and Agnes McMaster married around 1870 and possibly born around the 1850's ?? I can not find them on any online resources. As I do not live in Ireland it is proving difficult to find any information. 
Any tips would be greatly appericated.

sadowds

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:34:40 AM »
pm me with details, will see what I can do. I did try to find their marriage, but wasn't listed.

damienb

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »
Misha,
I'd be interested in any info you have on the Lisburn Boomers. I have Boomers in Portaferry from the early/mid 1800s but nothing before that.

I have James Boomer m Eliza(beth) Sullivan and Philip m Eliza(beth) McDade. On Philip's marriage certificate his father is listed as Rainey Boomer, blacksmith which made me think there may be a link to the Lisburn clan.

I have a lot of info on them from that time (James was my g-g-grandfather) but nothing on how/when/why they came to Portaferry.

Damien

damienb

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
Lots of names seem to repeat across the Boomers I've come across (no connection found so far!)

James, Elizabeth, Catherine, Jane - also have a Rebecca, Roseann and Birgid!

damienb

Snuggs

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 05:21:37 PM »
Hi Mischa,

It's a long time since I have been on here so you may not need this now.  I have a John Boomer living in Belfast around 1864 when my great grandmother Eliza Boomer married.  Unfortunately I don't have anything else on the Boomers.  I hope this may help.

Lorraine

misha231

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
Hi Mischa,

It's a long time since I have been on here so you may not need this now.  I have a John Boomer living in Belfast around 1864 when my great grandmother Eliza Boomer married.  Unfortunately I don't have anything else on the Boomers.  I hope this may help.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, 
I have not logged in here for some years but just picking up my Boomer research again. Do you have any other details on the John and Eliza Boomer mentioned above.
Regards
Michelle