Author Topic: Park Lodge  (Read 6388 times)

Sailortown Man

Park Lodge
« on: December 10, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
Anyone here go to Park Lodge Primary School (Our Lady of Lourdes)??

old wallion

Re: Park Lodge
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
Hi,
    I went to Park Lodge from 1959 til 1966 and the school is 50 years old on
    the 27th march 2009 so there is a reunion on the night at St Gerards community
    centre Antrim road. Anyone remember Conal the caretaker who lived in the attic.  

SeanP

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
I went to it, must have been about '61 until '63 or '64,  My main memory is being picked out as the stone thrower that nearly put a bullies eye out, and getting 6 of the best from Brother Leonard(I think that was his name), I would have been 6 then.

old wallion

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »
Brother Leonard and Brother Mc Grade spend all there time beating kids
but Br Holihan was a saint. I met him on Friday and he was as pleasant as ever.
He is well over 80 now and in good health and still has his memory.  

stickyra

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:22:32 PM »
Amazed to hear Brother Holian is still alive, old wallion.  He taught my son at the school in the eighties and my daughter in the nineties.  i went to the secondary school after I left St Malachy's in the mid seventies.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Sailortown Man

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:20:28 PM »
Hi,
    I went to Park Lodge from 1959 til 1966 and the school is 50 years old on
    the 27th march 2009 so there is a reunion on the night at St Gerards community
    centre Antrim road. Anyone remember Conal the caretaker who lived in the attic.  

I still have nightmares :o  He and Mrs Marnell were enough to put the fear of God into anyone!!

Funny I thought Brother Holian had died recently.  Obviously not. :)  I went from 66-73.  Remember Br. McGrade well particularly his cry of "Watch the hop!!" as a bouncing ball approached you on the gaelic pitch.  Mrs Brennan's attempts to teach us drama were worth experiencing.

old wallion

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I had Mrs Marnell in p3 and those missing fingers was enough to frighten the wits out of any child. I met her  20years ago retired in a nursing home and she was a really
nice lady. Probably mellowed a bit as she got older.
She died there a couple of weeks later and wore a Dominican Order habit in her
coffin for some unknown reason ??? ??? ??? ???

Sailortown Man

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »
wallion, was it true that she had lost the fingers when a window dropped shut on them in the old school??  Or was this just a Park Lodge legend??  I also met Barney Colahan many years after leaving the school and he was a perfect gent although I remembered him as being very handy with the strap when I was there.

old wallion

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
mrs Marnell told our class the same window story but her fingers were well healed so she must have lost them years earlier. Mr Colihans son Peter was in my class in Park Lodge and he is now in the Hong Kong beat.
Another son lectures in St Marys training college. :) :)

student84

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Anyone remember that headmaster brother Kenny that took over when brother Hollian stepped down as head?

Padraig Mc

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 12:20:24 AM »
I know this is an old tread  but my god the memories !!!  Mrs Marnell and her missing fingers i had forgotten them! 

I was at the primary in the old house and then moved to the new school , then back to the old house when Hardinge Street moved into it !  Would have been at the primary from approx '66 and left the secondary in '74.  Miss Morgan & i think Mr Skelton were my primary teachers, Bros Holian was the head cant beleive he was still alive a few years back, any news on him since??

Mr Savage, Mr.Montgomery, Mr.Black at the secondary?

apalachie

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:31 AM »
Padraig, there's a Hardinge st thread as well, couple of pic's of teachers on it but nobody uses it anymore, good luck.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

student 85

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Anyone remember that headmaster brother Kenny that took over when brother Hollian stepped down as head?

Aye, I remember him. He was a bit of a perv I believe.

memories80s

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Aye, I remember him. He was a bit of a perv I believe.

I heard this too, any details of what happened to him?

student84

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
I feel devastated sickened and to be honest disillusioned when something so evil is allowed to go unpunished!!

This evil wasn't stopped then and isn't being stopped now!