Author Topic: The old Ulster Hospital  (Read 12094 times)

naumai

Re: The old Ulster Hospital
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 02:02:49 AM »
Hi Hendy, I remember taking my young brother to hydebank in the early 50s I think, memory says it had trees down one side of the street and green nissan huts.of the ormeau rd  would you believe he had stuck a pea up his nose. [his wife says they must have left the pea and took out his brain]

giannineo

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 02:17:44 AM »
Right,I have to jump in here re Haypark Hospital.Yes,the Hospital in Whitehall Parade was indeed Haypark Hospital.There were two childrens' wards in the Nissen Huts on the right as you entered the Hospital.X-ray and operating theatres were in the older grey stone building on the left.Casualty was in the Nissen Huts.
           I was an inpatient there twice and a regular for Casualty.Nurse Whitlaw was the pin up,Nurse Frizzell the ginger caring Nurse,and Sister Quinn was the kind lady in charge.Mr.Glover was the broken arm surgeon.The Hospital owned a house for the doctors on Whitehall Parade.
             The Hospital was still in use in 1972.

Hendy

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 08:35:55 AM »

Many thanks Les, I think that's my question answered, now if anyone has a photo that would be fantastic.
Chris having memories burnt into your memory is painful, it even hurts this morning or could that be the effects of last nights grouse, think I need to visit the Ulster.

giannineo

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
Christopher,Whitehall Parade runs in an "L" shape from Ormeau Road up the South side of Ballynafeigh Methodist Church,and takes a right angle turn at the red brick wall of Haypark Hospital-it continues to Sunnyside Street.
     It was the home of local legend "Barney Rip The Balls".

Hendy

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 11:57:23 AM »
Bet it was handy to have the hospital there if you lived near Barney rip the balls ???

giannineo

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 12:07:29 PM »
Indeed Hendy.When my parents moved from Whitehall Gardens, one neighbour asked if it was wise as there was no Hospital near our next house for me to visit.

EllCee

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 01:47:08 PM »

Haypark Hospital, nr Whitehall Gdns.  The Sun was directly behind the building.

As Hydebank, at Belvoir, is a young offenders centre and a TA base, I do not intend taking a photograph.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

EllCee

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 06:07:32 PM »
Further to the above, I fired up the balloon and took these photographs  :D:

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »
Excellent Les,I can see the last two Belfast houses I lived in from your balloon pictures.Did you use the stirrup pump to inflate the balloon before the hot air bit?

EllCee

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »
Excellent Les,I can see the last two Belfast houses I lived in from your balloon pictures.Did you use the stirrup pump to inflate the balloon before the hot air bit?

What else?   ;D

giannineo

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 10:59:13 PM »
Good stuff Les,never throw anything out !

Christopher

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »

Haypark Hospital, nr Whitehall Gdns.  The Sun was directly behind the building.

As Hydebank, at Belvoir, is a young offenders centre and a TA base, I do not intend taking a photograph.

The hospital, at 36, Whitehall Parade, was known as Haypark Geriatric Hospital in 1987.
The matron was Ms J. Stanley, S. R. N. What's the building's function today?

weemurph24

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
Haypark hospital is now haypark residential home as I am a care assistant here :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy