Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 24344 times)

GerryBrown

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »
I was in Brother Beausang's class for two years. Left in 1964 to go to Barrack Street. I remember Bernard Clarke and his mother. Eamonn Phoenix was there and Terry George who wrote film scripts (he may have won an Oscar). Three Gardner brothers. McAleer (or McAteer) who is a TV actor (went on to Hardinge Street). Gerry O'Keefe from Castlereagh Road. Joe Herron ? A Carson whose family had a shop in Joy Street

semathi

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
Hello all, here are some photos from 2014 and some history:

http://www.dia.ie/works/view/46116/building/CO.+ANTRIM,+BELFAST,+OXFORD+STREET,+NO.+021,+ST+MALACHY%27S+SCHOOL

https://theroamingmind.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/st-malachys-christian-brothers-school-oxford-street-belfast/

Hello Market Friends,

I was in Belfast a few weeks back and took a walk to the old St. Malachy's School on Oxford Street.  In case you need a tattoo, the Skinworks staff can fix you up.

S

irishcolum

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »

Hello,[/b]
Just saw this in the Irish News...I'm wondering if this is the Gerry Hunt who attended Christian Bros primary school, Oxford St in the 1960s ? If it is, he was a good football player. May he rest in peace[/b]

DEATH NOTICE[/color] 11th Aug 2015[/color]
HUNT Gerard, died August 7, 2015, peacefully at hospital. Deeply regretted by Peter, Joanne and staff at the Parador.[/color][/font][/size]

[/font][/size]
DEATH NOTICE 7th Aug 2015[/color]
HUNT Gerard (Gerry) (Ormeau Road) died August 7, 2015 peacefully after a short illness. Will be sadly missed by family and friends. Funeral arrangements to follow. St Gerard Majella pray for him.

[/color][/font][/size]

bjay

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »
The same man, I believe.  Lived Ailesbury area , up from the Parador , although the family lived in Fernwood Street off the Ormeau Rd.when he was at Oxford Street school.

Mitcher

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
Yeah really sad to hear about him.  I was good friends with him at school. RIP

bjay

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Gerard worked in the NIHE for some years, in the technical end, an architect I think. A very nice guy I don't recall him doing anyone a bad turn.

irishcolum

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »

Standing (L to R) Damian McCloskey, Adrian McAuley, Philip Gardner, Colm Coney, Declan Mulvenna, John Magill, Francis Lannigan, Eugene Keegan, Paul Hopley, John O'Hare

Kneeling (L to R) Nigel Duffy, Eddie McSorley, Eddie Savage, Malachy Conlon, Sean Ashe, Gerry Hunt, Bobby Brown, Damien Watson, Gerard Murray, Sean Cassidy.
Teacher: Brother Canton

bjay

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »
A few Ormeau Road boys in that photo - Philip Gardner, Declan Mulvenna, Sean Ashe, Gerry Hunt, Damien ( Winker) Watson. and Sean Cassidy. Stephen McRandal from Ava St. was also in that year at Oxford Street.

hungry homer

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
A few Ormeau Road boys in that photo - Philip Gardner, Declan Mulvenna, Sean Ashe, Gerry Hunt, Damien ( Winker) Watson. and Sean Cassidy. Stephen McRandal from Ava St. was also in that year at Oxford Street.

You missed a few others - Paul Hopley was from Delhi Street, John O'Hare was from South Parade, Nigel Duffy from St. Jude's Avenue, Eddie McSorley and Bobby Brown both lived on the front of the Ormeau Road; Eddie lived in one of the detached houses opposite Knockbreda Park and Bobby lived facing Whitehall.

Margana

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »
I was in Brother Beausang's class for two years. Left in 1964 to go to Barrack Street. I remember Bernard Clarke and his mother. Eamonn Phoenix was there and Terry George who wrote film scripts (he may have won an Oscar). Three Gardner brothers. McAleer (or McAteer) who is a TV actor (went on to Hardinge Street). Gerry O'Keefe from Castlereagh Road. Joe Herron ? A Carson whose family had a shop in Joy Street

I'm Robert Monaghan and I was in your class. I remember you as tall and thin from the Ormeau Road? I failed the 11+ first time round and stayed back a year to re-sit it. After passing it, I went on to Hardinge St, Millfield, Jordanstown and Dundee University for Civil Engineering. Eventually I worked for 35 years with Roads Service in Downpatrick where I live.
As part of my work, I had meetings with Translink and met Bernard Clarke a few years ago who seemed to be fairly high up in the organisation. He mentioned Eamon Phoenix but I don't remember him. I do remember Terry George, the Gardner brothers and Gerry (Christopher?) O'Keefe. I also met John Cosgrove at Jordanstown and later in the Civil Service. He used to live in Fitzroy Avenue.
Others were the Craig twins from South Parade, Desmond Barfoot (went to Hardinge St), Roy Bates and Jim Daly both from the Short Strand, Francie? Rainey from Rainey St behind the Ormeau Baths, David Acheson from River Terrace and a guy called Glover.
I also remember that in 1964, there were some older boys (around 14/15 years old) in the class who should have been at Secondary School but for some reason, weren't.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0313623/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Terry George was born on December 20, 1952 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He is a writer and producer, known for Hotel Rwanda (2004), In the Name of the Father (1993) and Hart's War (2002). He has been married to Margaret Higgins since 1978. They have two children.

Terry George has done really well.

trish

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
I have just seen photo of boys from Oxford st Christian brothers. John Magill in the back row is my brother. Sadly he died March 15 2014 in South Africa. He lived there for over 30 years and was married with two daughters. I must try and get them to see this photo.

irishcolum

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
Hello Trish,
So sorry about your brother's death. My brother, John O'Hare was in your brother's class and, as you can see they played on the football team together. My brother died in 1992 in England. So now the two of them are probably up there having a good laugh about old times !
Colum

trish

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Hi Colin
Thanks for your response. It's a pity I can't tell John to have a look at this site. He loved all these old memories.
They both died too young but your brother was very young. John lived life to the full. He had retired at 42 after working in computers before anyone even knew what they were. After Oxford street he went on to St. Malachy's college. He then went to jordanstown.

trish

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
Colum
How can I send this photo to my niece by email. I tried to save it to iPad but then can't find it there. Any suggestions.