Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 23631 times)

irishcolum

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
Trish,

You should be able to drag the image on to your desktop, or in to an e-mail...
But I'd be happy to send it to you directly in an e-mail if you give me your e-mail address

Colum

Astor

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »
Colum
How can I send this photo to my niece by email. I tried to save it to iPad but then can't find it there. Any suggestions.

Right click with your mouse on the picture, then click on "Save As", call it whatever you like eg. St Malachy's photo then go into where your pictures are stored and it should be there, I just did it as a trial and it worked.   I think I vaguely remember John Magill from Fruithill and his brother Pat, if its the same guy.
Que Sera Sera

trish

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2015, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi Astor
Problem is I'm using an iPad. It doesn't have a mouse. We are from Fitzroy ave Ormeau rd. my mum and dad has shop in Lagan St in markets. I've another brother called martin. John was the eldest

trish

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »
Hi Astor
Just played about a bit and have been able to save photo. I've emailed it to my niece. I think she will be delighted with it. Many thanks

bjay

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
I remember Willie Magill's shop when it was in Verner Street, before it moved  around the corner to Lagan Street.

trish

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
Hi bjay
I posted an old photo of dad on "who do you know from the markets" thread page 62. I have been looking for a photo of dads shop when he owned it but to no avail. There's a photo on page 57 of the shop in the early 1900s. I vaguely remember the shop in Berber street. It was on the cor we with Kagan st. Dad has late stage Alzheimer's and isn't aware of anything at all. It's hard now to imagine him as the person he was then. I always think of him as a successful Delboy.

Franco58

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
Just found this many years too late, I was in Oxford Street and one of the last to leave it when it closed. Our P7 class together with P6 & P5 then went to the upstairs in St Mary's in Barrack St, where I then went from 1970 - 1973 and then up to the Glen Road until 1977. Remember all the teachers and the experiences you all mention, seems like yesterday. Remember the class photo with Mr Shields in it, where could I get a copy, been years since I last saw it. Remeber always having to go over to the bus station to buy his cigarettes which no doubt he smoked in class !

kptz

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »
Does anyone know if school records from the 1930s are available? I have relatives who attended. 

Thanks, kptz
kptz

Margana

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2016, 08:43:22 PM »
If the records were available, I would say that they are in the Public Records Office. I found records there relating to the Convent School in Catherine Street where my mother attended in the 1920's.

mikey

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2016, 07:05:23 PM »
Hi all I went to Oxford st school,left in 71 when I went to st Augustine's, I was from the Lisburn road but I stayed with my grandfather in little may street, to Sean Connolly do remember me Michael Kelly lived with the Carey's little may street. Can't remember any classmates have a bit of blank remember the teachers

keewelly

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
My late father, James Kerr, taught at St. Malachy's, Oxford St., from 1932 to 1942. He then he moved to St. Comgall's PS in Bangor. He became principal in 1954, and retired in 1975. I still have quite a few photos that were taken in Oxford St. from '32 to '42.
I attended St. Mary's, Barrack St. from '65 to '68, then the new school on the Glen Rd., from '68 to '72. I remember Bro. Beausang well, although he never taught me.

Margana

« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »
My late father, James Kerr, taught at St. Malachy's, Oxford St., from 1932 to 1942. He then he moved to St. Comgall's PS in Bangor. He became principal in 1954, and retired in 1975. I still have quite a few photos that were taken in Oxford St. from '32 to '42.
I attended St. Mary's, Barrack St. from '65 to '68, then the new school on the Glen Rd., from '68 to '72. I remember Bro. Beausang well, although he never taught me.

If you left Oxford St in '65, you must have been in the same class as me as I left that year also. Can you remember a few names from your class? I remember Jim Daly, Steven Gardiner, Roy Bates. I think that Bro Finn taught us that last year and I think that he was also going abroad.

keewelly

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
Sorry, I didn't go to Oxford St, I was at St. Comgall's Primary School in Bangor, before going to St. Mary's.

hungry homer

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
I met an old friend today who gave me the sad news that Philip Gardner who was in my year at Oxford Street, died a couple of weeks ago. He had emigrated to Canada after he got married over 40 years ago.
R.I.P. Philip.

Margana

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »
I met an old friend today who gave me the sad news that Philip Gardner who was in my year at Oxford Street, died a couple of weeks ago. He had emigrated to Canada after he got married over 40 years ago.
R.I.P. Philip.

Sad to hear this. I remember him as a nice person. I was originally in a class with his brother Bill but I failed the 11+ first time round and stayed back a year to do it again and I ended up in the same class as him. Unfortunately, we are all at that age when some of us start to check out.