Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 26289 times)

irishcolum

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »
Nice fellow. May he RIP...here he is 1n 1968

rokat1888

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2020, 01:09:41 AM »
Haven't been here in a while but saw this thread and couldn't resist replying.
I went to Oxford Street from 59 to 65.
Classes were P1, P2 and P3 Mrs Clarke who lived in Carryduff and drove a Ford Anglia car. I have met and spoken with her son Bernard who was in my class.
P4 was Mr Shields, nice man.
Up the iron fire escape was P5 Brother Finn who went to the Missions in Africa before I left.
Next door in the big room was P6 Bradley who had a brother in St Matthew's Short Strand.
P7 was Br Beausang or wee Bo. I know that he went to Hardinge Street when it moved to the Hightown Road? in Glengormley as my nephew went there. He then moved to the Abbey Grammar School in Newry.
I also remember a Brother Sullivan at one stage.
When I was in P7, there were "big boys" in the class who were about 14 or 15. I think it was something to do with Secondary Schools not being available at the time.
I remember the shop and the garage and going to the baths in Ormeau Avenue on a Monday afternoon.
The building is still there but it's now an art gallery.
I failed the 11+ first time round so I was in two P7 classes.
People I remember - Michael Cosgrove (I have met him a few times in the Civil Service), Roy Bates, The Craig twins, Paul Bell (deceased), Desmond Barfoot who lived at the Bridge End and went on to Hardinge Street, like me, Hugh (Huggy) McComb, Jim Daly, the Gardiner brothers who went on to the grammar school on the Antrim Road, Linus McCloskey (how could I forget the name?), Jim? Brown who went on to St Mary's.
Bernard Clarke told me that Dr Eamonn Phonenix who is a historian at Queens and regularly features in the press and on TV was in our class but I don't remember him.
My brothers and I were sent to Oxford Street because my mother believed that the Christian Brothers were great on discipline and education. She was right!
Sorry to ramble but I hope that this has jogged a few memories.

rokat1888

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2020, 01:24:11 AM »
hi my name is Roy bates what you wrote I remember it well brother Sulvain  left when i stared all the teachers I remember them only that Bosin was a little pervert . when look up some one was on his knee. I remember turning up for the 11 plus and was sent home because I put St Augustine's as my first choice. the only thing in my favour was  i played Football. You could not believe the change   

irishcolum

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2020, 08:48:01 PM »

Published April 5, 2019 in the Vancouver Sun, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Philip Gardner May 12, 1957 - March 25, 2019

It is with great sadness to announce the sudden passing of Philip Gardner, at his home, on Monday, March 25, 2019, at the age of 61 years. Philip will be forever and lovingly remembered by his wife of 42 years, Ann, and also by his sons Niall (Ashley) and Ryan (Katie), and his four grandchildren, Maisie (Liam), Rowan, Hudson and Brayden.

Margana

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:19 PM »
hi my name is Roy bates what you wrote I remember it well brother Sulvain  left when i stared all the teachers I remember them only that Bosin was a little pervert . when look up some one was on his knee. I remember turning up for the 11 plus and was sent home because I put St Augustine's as my first choice. the only thing in my favour was  i played Football. You could not believe the change

Roy, I remember you. You lived in Moira Street and played goalkeeper for the team. I remember one match, where the ball landed in a big puddle in front of the goal, and you dived right in. I was friendly with Jim Daly who lived further up the street from you, but I left the Strand in 1975 to get married and lost touch with a lot of people. The death notice for Philip Gardner, I remember him and his brother, John, who was in our class. They went on to St. Malachy's. I stayed back a year and was able to do the 11+ the second time round and eventually went to Hardinge Street on the New Lodge.