Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 23630 times)

johnnyjet

saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« on: December 16, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
Does anyone remember the Christian brothers in oxford street, I went there in 1959 the head master was brother boesang (spelling was,nt my best subject_} he was a hard nut and did,nt take pity on anyone then there was brother finn a nice quiet man with a big leather strap and cane , many a sore hand or back of legs i got from them.  When I was 4 I went to this school and was introduced to Mrs, clarke primary 1 teacher I can still smell her perfume white musk aaaaahhhh, but what a targe she was my first lesson =   LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING. I always remember walking home on a Friday cutting through the cattle marker into the fruit market for some leftover fruit and then into the fish market and asking for some winkles to take home  mmmm,. We did.nt have much in those days but we made the most of what we had

Mitcher

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:06:53 PM »
Johnnyjet, I went to OxfordStreet as well.  I remember Br Beausang but not Br Finn as it was Br Canton who took over from Beau.  I also remember Mrs Clarke and Mr Shields

johnnyjet

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:40:19 PM »
mr shields was a good teacher I liked him/. when were you there and what age are you now mitch

Mitcher

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »
I left in 1969 and went to St Marys in Barrack Street where St Malachys finished up.  Do you remember the caps "skull caps" that were part of the uniform.  I always used to go in and out of the school by the back door, up thr entry at the back of the mill.  I too went to the different Markets on Fridays and enjoyed dropping into Allams to try and help the drovers.  I always came out of it covered.  There was another teacher called Irvine who was there as well.  He taught P6

johnnyjet

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:56:12 PM »
I had a friend James devine  and once when we went into alams cattle market he fell of the wall into the manure heap and wedged up to his waist the drovers pulled him out minus a shoe and had to hose him down it was so funny at the time but his dad nearly killed him,. As for going to school we too went in the back way past the r,u,c station and the mill and a garage right at the top end of the entry I think it was called Thompson's do you remember going to the wee shop about 5 doors up from the school I used to bring 3 small bottles of milk to the shop and get a small mix up lol. I also remember once a week going to oxford street bus station and getting a plate of veg soup with 2 rounds of bread yum yum it was heaven then

Mitcher

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
I remember having to go all the way around to the front of the Peeler station to retrieve the ball after it was kicked over the wall.  Is that wall really high or was it just my imagination because we wereyoung.  Was Paul Mc Hugh from Catherne St in your year.  I also remember the pies in the bus station, tasty.  I think that mill was called Mc Aleaveys.  I think your right about the name of the garage.

johnnyjet

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »
I remember paul many a fight i had with him lol

Mitcher

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
Paul is a singer in the States now.  I think he is coming home for Xmas.  Who else from around there was in your year, Damien Watson? Francis Lannigan from the Elecrical shop in Cromac St?

Mitcher

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 12:04:54 PM »
Johnnyjet, can you remember walking once a week from school to the Ormeau baths.  I think the route was out the back door, Musgrave St, Victoria St, May St, Joy St Sussex Place, Alfred St and across Ormeau Ave.  We always visited the pet shop at the top of Cromac St on the way home.

johnnyjet

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »
yeah i remember the walk and the way back the pet shop was called Eddie Murphy's and was on the corner beside Edgar Lowe's ,.I learned to swim at 5 years old , they told you to hold onto the bar and swim with one hand and then let go , lol, you learned or you drowned.  It was in the old pool I also remember going to the baths for a bath on a Saturday so I was nice and clean for 10 o clock mass on sunday we all had to be there and sat on the right side an you face the alter at the front , anyone late or not there needed a mighty good excuse

Mitcher

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:03 PM »
Johnnyjet do you remember school concerts in the King George the Fifth hall at the corner of Joy Street.

johnnyjet

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »
nah can,t remember them but do remember singing a song in school at least once a week called green grow the rushes so. I hated music in oxford st school the teachers watched and if you did,nt know the words or sing you got beat with the cane or strap. Do you remember the tiny toilet in the yard with one urinal and one toilet bowl , they used to get us to clean it after lunch time.and in the winter we had to break the ice in the bowl.  I lived at the top end of Joy street and can tell you it was a long walk each day both to and from school

Mitcher

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
I remember the toilets well also having to walk down those steel stairs on freezing winter days, it is a wonder no one was killed on them.  I lived in Seymour Street so my walk was not as long as yours.  Those Christian Brothers always had a thing about getting people to sing especially as none of them could ever sing a note.

artibell

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

Oxford Street School   Jan. 2009

stickyra

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
Does anyone remember the Christian brothers in oxford street, I went there in 1959 the head master was brother boesang (spelling was,nt my best subject_} he was a hard nut and did,nt take pity on anyone then there was brother finn a nice quiet man with a big leather strap and cane , many a sore hand or back of legs i got from them.  When I was 4 I went to this school and was introduced to Mrs, clarke primary 1 teacher I can still smell her perfume white musk aaaaahhhh, but what a targe she was my first lesson =   LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING. I always remember walking home on a Friday cutting through the cattle marker into the fruit market for some leftover fruit and then into the fish market and asking for some winkles to take home  mmmm,. We did.nt have much in those days but we made the most of what we had

Brother Beausang or Wee Bo as we called him must have mellowed a lot by the mid seventies.  He was teaching at Park Lodge then and was a gentle old soul.  He was very popular with the lads.  He died about eight years ago.  He was retired and living in Dublin.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann