Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 24165 times)

Mitcher

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
Brother Canton took over when Brother Bo moved on to St MARYS.  He stayed until St Malachys Oxford Street closed and moved to the upstairs in St Marys in Barrack St.  I think around 1971.  He then went to Pim Stret school.

Mitcher

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:17:36 PM »
There are two photos of Oxford Classes on the ' Who do you know from the Market' thread

johnnyjet

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
I remember the youth club in seymore street and a family called leathem,s who lived there,What is your name? I might know you .  p,s do you remember silvertops comunity centre in Hamilton st

Mitcher

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 09:50:29 PM »
Johnnyjet, I lived two doors from the Leathems and my mother was the cleaner and held the keys to the youth club, Joe hanretty was the leader.  My name is Murray

Aidan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »
My God you fella have brought back some memories for me, Mrs Clark when we were in babies and then on to Mr Shields and after that up the stairs to, I cant remember his name but he was an old bald guy and he had a twin brother who taught at St Matthews, The into next door to Brother Cantons Class, there was also Brother Harning who used to beat the [censored] outa you if you didnt know your work and then into old Baues class, I must admit, looking back on it all none of it really did us any harm and probably made us better men for it.  Do you remember Mr McAdam at the baths used to teach swimming and how to drown respectfully.  Paul McHugh was in my class as was Ken Lennon and Micky O Neil, I often wonder where they are now and how they are doing.  I went back to Belfast in March/April this year, my first trip back from Australia in 41 years. Went to see the old school which is now a Solicitors Office.   Thank you so much for the memories fellas, the pies at the bus station, the wee sweety shop, do you remember the shop in Ann st where we used to get cheap lunches and across the road was Elliottes who sold great fireworks and up on the rise to the Queens bridge, the big old white horse that was kept there to help Harkness carts up and over the bridge? Now from my memory they were the good old days.

Mitcher

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
Aiden, Paul is now a singer in Chicargo.  I was a few years below you as I left in 1969.  I actually learnt to swim in the Baths and I alsoloved those Pies in the Bus Station.  The class before Canton's/beausangs was a Mister Irvine, but that was when I was there

Mooney

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »
make sure to also check the postings under "Are you looking for old school friends"
That is where I posted my attendance at Oxford Street from 1942-1946.Yes i am till alive at 73 in California, Santa Barbara
Tony Mooney

MICKSTUPP

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »
It was Brother Lynch who took over at "The Upstairs" at Barrack Street. I was in the first group there. I have a class photo somewhere with Mr Shields in attandance. Some names in our class. Pat Lannigan, junior Fitzpatrick, Wilson Henry, Seamus Boyle, Stephen Brown  etc. WIll try to find and post it.

McNamee

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 08:13:58 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Mick

MICKSTUPP

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »

Brother Beausang or Wee Bo as we called him must have mellowed a lot by the mid seventies.  He was teaching at Park Lodge then and was a gentle old soul.  He was very popular with the lads.  He died about eight years ago.  He was retired and living in Dublin.

He made a public apology in the Irish News for all the boys he had "leathered" over the years.

Mitcher

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
There are a few photos of classes in Oxford Street on the " who do you know from the Market " thread

Sean Connolly

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »
New to the site how do I find the class photos from oxford street that you mentioned. I was at Oxford Street and Barrack Street before moving to Hardinge street

Mitcher

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
Sean did you originally live in Joy street, the fruit shop as I think you were a class or two below me.

The photos are on the Market thread but I am not sure what page number.  I have two but I do not know how to put them on here

citybloke

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »
I attended Oxford Street School [1954- 1960]. I remember being in Mr. Shield's class and then in Brother Finn's for the 11 plus. Does anyone remember Br. Finn and where he went after Oxford Street?

Mitcher

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
I remember Mr Shields in Primary 3/4 and I think he went to St Aidans on the Whiterock Road.  The only two Brothers I remember are Br Beausang and Br Canton.  The first went to St Marys and the latter to Edmund Rice in Pim Street.  I left Oxford Street in 1969 after my 11+