Author Topic: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street  (Read 23872 times)

Mitcher

Re: saint malachys christian bros. oxford street
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
Mitcher, I have just twigged to who you are, did your da work in Millfield tech and yes we did have the fruit shop in Joy Street on the corner of Little May Street, I remember those games of football in the back enty and walking through the law courts on the way home.

Yes Sean you are right about my Dad teaching the Painting and Decorating in Millfield Tech.  How are you keeping?  The last I heard you were in Austrailia or somewhere.  Oxford St seems a long time ago now.

Sean Connolly

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
Still living in Melbourne, was back in Belfast for a couple of weeks earlier on this year. Yes in some ways oxford st seems like a million years ago and then someone mentions something you forgot and it jogs the memory and some of it seems like yesterday. When I was in Belfast I took a walk round Joy street and needless to say my old house was gone, ah well thats progress.

Paddy Go Go

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
Hi I know two people who went to christian bros. oxford st. Patrick King ( junior king) and his brother Jim they lived in East Street.
LIFE'S FOR LIVING. PATRICIA.

Mitcher

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
Hi I know two people who went to christian bros. oxford st. Patrick King ( junior king) and his brother Jim they lived in East Street.

Was their Father Paddy, and Mother Rosie Watson as I only knew them

Mitcher

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2010, 08:35:06 PM »
Still living in Melbourne, was back in Belfast for a couple of weeks earlier on this year. Yes in some ways oxford st seems like a million years ago and then someone mentions something you forgot and it jogs the memory and some of it seems like yesterday. When I was in Belfast I took a walk round Joy street and needless to say my old house was gone, ah well thats progress.
Yes Sean Progress?  When I am down that way and often walk around Seymour St and around there, mostly everything gone.  At least the convent is still there as a building.  I often have a drink with one of the Donnellys from down the street from you also one of the Hobans from Little May St.

cossie5252

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
was asked to post this photo on this page also....

Mitcher

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »
was asked to post this photo on this page also....

Brother Beausang

Mitcher

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
Has anybody any class photos of Oxford Street School?

maggiemay

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
My two brothers ,Brian and Jim went to St Malachys.We lived in Bangor at the time.Quite a few of the pupils from Bangor travelled up to Belfast,as thier parents tpupils moved on to the nexthought they would get a better education.There was a teacher called Mr Kerr in St Comgalls.He was a great teacher,but when the pupils
went on to the next master,that was a different matter!!!
Maggiemay

Margana

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »
Haven't been here in a while but saw this thread and couldn't resist replying.
I went to Oxford Street from 59 to 65.
Classes were P1, P2 and P3 Mrs Clarke who lived in Carryduff and drove a Ford Anglia car. I have met and spoken with her son Bernard who was in my class.
P4 was Mr Shields, nice man.
Up the iron fire escape was P5 Brother Finn who went to the Missions in Africa before I left.
Next door in the big room was P6 Bradley who had a brother in St Matthew's Short Strand.
P7 was Br Beausang or wee Bo. I know that he went to Hardinge Street when it moved to the Hightown Road? in Glengormley as my nephew went there. He then moved to the Abbey Grammar School in Newry.
I also remember a Brother Sullivan at one stage.
When I was in P7, there were "big boys" in the class who were about 14 or 15. I think it was something to do with Secondary Schools not being available at the time.
I remember the shop and the garage and going to the baths in Ormeau Avenue on a Monday afternoon.
The building is still there but it's now an art gallery.
I failed the 11+ first time round so I was in two P7 classes.
People I remember - Michael Cosgrove (I have met him a few times in the Civil Service), Roy Bates, The Craig twins, Paul Bell (deceased), Desmond Barfoot who lived at the Bridge End and went on to Hardinge Street, like me, Hugh (Huggy) McComb, Jim Daly, the Gardiner brothers who went on to the grammar school on the Antrim Road, Linus McCloskey (how could I forget the name?), Jim? Brown who went on to St Mary's.
Bernard Clarke told me that Dr Eamonn Phonenix who is a historian at Queens and regularly features in the press and on TV was in our class but I don't remember him.
My brothers and I were sent to Oxford Street because my mother believed that the Christian Brothers were great on discipline and education. She was right!
Sorry to ramble but I hope that this has jogged a few memories.

Mitcher

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
Haven't been here in a while but saw this thread and couldn't resist replying.
I went to Oxford Street from 59 to 65.
Classes were P1, P2 and P3 Mrs Clarke who lived in Carryduff and drove a Ford Anglia car. I have met and spoken with her son Bernard who was in my class.
P4 was Mr Shields, nice man.
Up the iron fire escape was P5 Brother Finn who went to the Missions in Africa before I left.
Next door in the big room was P6 Bradley who had a brother in St Matthew's Short Strand.
P7 was Br Beausang or wee Bo. I know that he went to Hardinge Street when it moved to the Hightown Road? in Glengormley as my nephew went there. He then moved to the Abbey Grammar School in Newry.
I also remember a Brother Sullivan at one stage.
When I was in P7, there were "big boys" in the class who were about 14 or 15. I think it was something to do with Secondary Schools not being available at the time.
I remember the shop and the garage and going to the baths in Ormeau Avenue on a Monday afternoon.
The building is still there but it's now an art gallery.
I failed the 11+ first time round so I was in two P7 classes.
People I remember - Michael Cosgrove (I have met him a few times in the Civil Service), Roy Bates, The Craig twins, Paul Bell (deceased), Desmond Barfoot who lived at the Bridge End and went on to Hardinge Street, like me, Hugh (Huggy) McComb, Jim Daly, the Gardiner brothers who went on to the grammar school on the Antrim Road, Linus McCloskey (how could I forget the name?), Jim? Brown who went on to St Mary's.
Bernard Clarke told me that Dr Eamonn Phonenix who is a historian at Queens and regularly features in the press and on TV was in our class but I don't remember him.
My brothers and I were sent to Oxford Street because my mother believed that the Christian Brothers were great on discipline and education. She was right!
Sorry to ramble but I hope that this has jogged a few memories.
I remember Mrs Clark and Mr Shields along with wee Bo as I left in 69.  There was a Phillip Gardener from the Ormeau Road who was a class or two above me.  I too learned to swim in the Ormeau Baths

OLD ST.MALS GAL

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
To Sean Connolly.
Just saw your postings and obviously you are son of Sean & Josie.  Knew your family well when I was younger.
I am one of the Boyle family from Andersonstown, family originally from Markets.
Hope you are well....have you been on the Markets Forum, its very interesting even though I wasn't born there but know of  lots of the names mentioned.

OSMG

citybloke

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 02:56:24 PM »

St. Malachy’s [Oxford Street] School – First Holy Communion Class [circa 1953]

Back Row,

----------, ---------, V.McKeown, T.Birch, --------, T. Morrow, -------- ,---------, H. McCallum

Third Row,   ?

Second Row,

E. Hannratty, G. Hadley, -----------, R. Dalziel?   P.Fallon, ---------, ---------, F. Kelly   

Front Row,

T. Murray, ----------, -----------, ? McCann, ---------, G.Dalton,----------, ? McCann

Any help in identifying the missing names from this photo would br appreciated.

GurnyGub

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »

St. Malachy’s [Oxford Street] School – First Holy Communion Class [circa 1953]

Back Row,

----------, ---------, V.McKeown, T.Birch, --------, T. Morrow, -------- ,---------, H. McCallum

Third Row,   ?

Second Row,

E. Hannratty, G. Hadley, -----------, R. Dalziel?   P.Fallon, ---------, ---------, F. Kelly   

Front Row,

T. Murray, ----------, -----------, ? McCann, ---------, G.Dalton,----------, ? McCann

Any help in identifying the missing names from this photo would br appreciated.

Fourth from the right, front row, is possibly Micky McNamee, had a brother somewhere too. It's very easy to misremember after so long! Third from the right in the second row is, I believe Bernard Kearns, and third row, second from the left might be Cush. Sorry for being so vague, but in mitigation, I'm not even in the photo!!

johnnypipes

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
I know he wrote a Irish song, dont know the correct spelling but (Is glanting Glass Gweedore ) wee BO