Author Topic: Hot Rod / Stock Car Racing  (Read 9152 times)

ardieB

Re: Hot Rod / Stock Car Racing
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »
Aye,and Sammy Mellon is still selling cars in Bangor. Hyundai.
There was also Mellon and Thompson's garage near the football grounds.(I think) ???
Ardie

CJC

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »
Jackie Mellon died recently, within the last 6 months. Floods garage at the football ground was connected with the Mellons,  they were one of the sponsors of the stock car racing if I remember correctly

Bogeyman

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »
I recognise one or 2 names on that list. Have you been cleaning out the attic. Valuable stuff. Great ardie.
If it was'nt for venetian blinds it would be curtains for everybody!

ardieB

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 12:25:43 AM »
was cleaning out my drawers actually. Have about ten of those programmes and will certainly keep them in good nick. The photos in them arent great quality but still very useful.
Ardie

stow

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »
Formula 2 Hot Road Racing has been taking place at Nutts Corner raceway since 1989. Following the closure of Dunmore, at the end of 1987, there was no racing in the Belfast area throughout 1988, until Ian Thompson opened  the Nutt's Corner track in 1989. There's another Co. Antrim Hot Rod track at Ballymena Raceway which has been running since 1977.
Hi Christopher would you have information about stock car racing
              in the early 60's mid 60's my daddy & grandfather raced & im near
              sure it was in dunmore stadium their surname was stow
                         thank you kate.

Christopher

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »
Hi Christopher would you have information about stock car racing
              in the early 60's mid 60's my daddy & grandfather raced & im near
              sure it was in dunmore stadium their surname was stow
                         thank you kate.

Hello Kate,

I'm sorry I've nothing on Stock car drivers of that period.

There were three members who knew a little about the subject but they've left the Forum.

I'm not certain if the Newsletter and Tele reported on Stock Car racing. Local papers carried photos and reports on the sport. If you're in the Newspaper Library sometime it might be worth while having a look through Cityweek as it covered a wide variety of local items.

Christopher   

outlaw

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
Hi Christopher

I to recognise some of the names on that list from Bangor.  Have you got any info on Dunmore Stadium in the late sixties

Davidmills

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »
I lived in Northern Ireland until 1987 and was a mad stock car racing fan, starting off at Ballyskeagh outside Newtownards, then moving to a track in a Carrowdore quarry, followed by Portadown, Dunmore Stadium, Ballymena and Aghadowey. Great memories and I have loads of photos from most of those tracks. You can still see the Ballyskeagh track on Google Earth!

David

Bigali

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 12:31:09 PM »
I lived in Northern Ireland until 1987 and was a mad stock car racing fan, starting off at Ballyskeagh outside Newtownards, then moving to a track in a Carrowdore quarry, followed by Portadown, Dunmore Stadium, Ballymena and Aghadowey. Great memories and I have loads of photos from most of those tracks. You can still see the Ballyskeagh track on Google Earth!

David

I was a regular attender at Aghadowey and Ballymena myself to watch the likes of the late Davy Evans , Ormond Christie , Norman Woolsey, Sticky Torrens and the Robinson brothers and the late Leslie Dallas who was murdered outside his garage business in Coagh along with two friends .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .