Author Topic: Bellevue  (Read 19354 times)

Eleanor

Bellevue
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
What are your memories of Bellevue?

I grew up in Glengormley and the M2 passes close to my mother's house. When it was being built in the 1960s my sisters and I walked along it from our house to Bellevue. There was an amusement arcade with machines that you put an old penny into and you could see one of two scenes: there was a graveyard with skeletons popping up out of the graves and a burning house with men going up and down ladders.
After that we went to the playground, where there were swingboats. Two people sat in the boats and each had a rope to pull. You pulled on alternate ropes to make the boat swing one way and then the other. The playground was so high up on the side of the Cave Hill that you could see all the way across to the other side of Belfast Lough.
We went up to the lake - was it a boating lake? - and I rolled down the hill. Sadly I lost the sixpence I had in my pocket; it must have fallen out while I was rolling. We didn't go to the zoo because you had to pay. My older sisters would go to dances in the Floral Hall. I even remember climbing all those steps before they were fenced off, probably by Health and Safety. :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Jeannie

Re: Bellevue
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
My friends and I would make up a picnic (few sarnies and a drink)and take off over the fields from Rathcoole to Bellevue, you could do that in those days.  Remember we would have a race up the steps  ::) oh... the very thought of it now would bring on a heart attack  ::)play on the swing boats and ramble up the Cavehill.  Yes there was a boating lake there. Remember the fairground too.  Loved running thro all the bluebells and bringing a bunch home for my mum.  We would spend hours there. :) Loved it. Fantastic views over the lough. O0

Went roller skating in the Floral Hall. O0

pentio

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
Eleanor, Jeannie

Two old photographs for you, The Amusement Park and the Children's Playground at Bellvue, I hope they bring back happy memories. O0

boxer1949

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:36:07 PM »

joes

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
Remember walking from the market to the zoo,there was a wee stream running alongside the fence which we crossed then climbed the fence into the zoo.had a great time
joes

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »
Jeannie,I might have bumped into you in the floral hall,or even the diamond. ::) ;D
Should you go first and I remain,one thing Ill have you do . Walk slowly down that lonesome path ,for soon Ill follow you.

Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
Thank you, Pentio and Boxer. The playgroud was a little different in my day (1960s) but I can see the swingboats in Pentio's photo. :)

DOFFER

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:51:47 PM »
jam sandwiches  bottles tea all taken at bellevue then up again at easter to roll our boiled dyed eggs down the hill ,was home around 1980 went to bellevue but failed to recapter the same had a good walk round then  sat and had a good cry ,seems the book titled
YOU CANT GO HOME AGAIN BY THOMAS WOLFE IS CORRECT ,because all has changed not always for the better ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Liz51

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
 JEZZZZZZZ REMEMBER WALKING UP ALL THEM STEPS WENT THERE EVERY WHITSON FIRST TIME I EVERY SEEN A GORRILLA WAS THERE IT FRIT THE S... OUT OF ME HAPPY MEMORIE'S

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »
How many of you remember Jean (first known as The Bug and then, for a short while as Sir Crawford)?
www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/topics/transport/railway_journeys2.shtml Listen to John Bennett's programme about Jean on the YP&M site.

I wonder how many young couples fell in love with this little railway engine while it was at Bellevue and named their daughters Jean?

Jean, once more known as The Bug, is now working at The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway and has her own Fan Club.

Headline boat man

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:23:54 AM »
Jeannie,I might have bumped into you in the floral hall,or even the diamond. ::) ;D
Bobby maybe behind the Diamond. HBM

sammy a

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »
does anyone remember a ladies beauty competition in the floral hall in the sixties,i remember going out with a girl who came 3rd.

Headline boat man

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:05 AM »
Aye my wife came in 2nd the winner was a pig. :-* :dance1: :dance1: :party: :punish:

Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
Aye my wife came in 2nd the winner was a pig. :-* :dance1: :dance1: :party: :punish:

Not funny! >:(

Headline boat man

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »
My wife said the same thing,Eleanor where you in the same competition?. :( :haha: :haha: :party: