Author Topic: Bellevue  (Read 19439 times)

Ballymurphygirl

Re: Bellevue
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »
Aye my wife came in 2nd the winner was a pig. :-* :dance1: :dance1: :party: :punish:

:D
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

The Lounge Lizard

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »

Thats a great photo of the steps, they are a very sad sight today. I remember going up them with my parents and the experience always added to what was a great day out at the zoo. On a side issue, I have always admired the house that sits beside the zoo...Tree Tops...fabulous house...great location
Memories they can't be bought,they cant be won at carnivals for free,it took me years to get those souvenirs and I don't know how they slipped away fr

stickyra

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
That was your man, the dentist's house. I think Gilleece was his name. He had a surgery on the cavehill Road
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Mrs Mageean

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 01:47:28 PM »
What are your memories of Bellevue?

I grew up in Glengormley and the M2 passes close to my mother's house. When it was being built in the 1960s my sisters and I walked along it from our house to Bellevue. There was an amusement arcade with machines that you put an old penny into and you could see one of two scenes: there was a graveyard with skeletons popping up out of the graves and a burning house with men going up and down ladders.
After that we went to the playground, where there were swingboats. Two people sat in the boats and each had a rope to pull. You pulled on alternate ropes to make the boat swing one way and then the other. The playground was so high up on the side of the Cave Hill that you could see all the way across to the other side of Belfast Lough.
We went up to the lake - was it a boating lake? - and I rolled down the hill. Sadly I lost the sixpence I had in my pocket; it must have fallen out while I was rolling. We didn't go to the zoo because you had to pay. My older sisters would go to dances in the Floral Hall. I even remember climbing all those steps before they were fenced off, probably by Health and Safety. :)
I remember the boating lake well. Also remember we used to save some of our Easter eggs to give the elephant on Easter Monday. I'm sure the USPCA wouldn't approve. :P

tboy

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
one would need to have good memory pentio, them photoes were taken in 1938 ;)

tboy

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
or even photos :-*

old wallion

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
Pentio,Tboy. Eleanor.

The fairground was owned then by a Japanese family who then
                   sold it on to the Barry family. I worked on the dodgems in the 60s
                   during school holidays and rollerskated on a Monday and Tuesday
                   night in the Floral hall.  Great days.   

Eleanor

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »
Pentio,Tboy. Eleanor.

The fairground was owned then by a Japanese family who then
                   sold it on to the Barry family. I worked on the dodgems in the 60s
                   during school holidays and rollerskated on a Monday and Tuesday
                   night in the Floral hall.  Great days.   

They sound great! :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
one would need to have good memory pentio, them photoes were taken in 1938 ;)
:haha: :haha: :girl_crazy:

old wallion

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »

old wallion

Im just trying to post photos :)

old wallion

Re: Bellevueroller%20skating.jpg
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
Sorry BF i think i need help from someone how to post photos :)

McNamee

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »
HANG ON  I will be round.

I am such a whizz on the computer. (and modest) ;) ;)

old wallion

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »

This is Old Wallion in 1969 roller skateing at The Floral Hall. I am at the front with the girl wearing Hotpants, i think her name was Jean and she came from Rathcoole. The other girl in the photo may have been her sister. Does anyone know ??   

McNamee

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 07:48:49 PM »
What picture?