Author Topic: Curry?  (Read 10200 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Curry?
« on: November 23, 2005, 10:17:58 PM »
Whats the best curry house in Belfast?

Mageeka

Re: Curry?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:08:14 AM »
It used to ne my Dad,s house Chris
However i do need to hear of a fine one, for my next visit.

belfastred

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:54:44 PM »

THE MANDARIN

Addy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:13 AM »
Belfastred,don't bust yourself with eloquence !!! Where the Hell is it ???
Cheer up !! It could be better  !!!

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:39:17 AM »
Belfastred,don't bust yourself with eloquence !!! Where the Hell is it ???

In Belfast Addy :D Where did you think it might be ??? It is a fair question though. I have looked in the 2005/6 Northern Ireland Yellow Pages. Restaurants - Chinese Page 1378 - 1379. There is not a Restaurant - Chinese called The Mandarin. There is a Mandarin City on the Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast, a Mandarin House in Scotch Street, Armagh and a Mandarin on the Waterfront in Derry/Londonderry.

Where in tootintarnation is The Mandarin, Belfastred ??? Addy, The Mandarin sounds like a Chinese Restaurant.
Does an Indian Restaurant not serve a better curry than a Chinese Restaurant ???

Chris, are you sure you want a curry ??? We are having serious problems finding the place   I've found one The Jharna Indian Tandoori Restaurant on the Lisburn Road. Loads of people have posted reviews about this place and a guy called Derek says "As for the food, the Jharna has by far the best curry in Belfast and is better that any curry house I have been to anywhere else. If you love curry but havent been to the Jharna yet then you really are missing out."

teap

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »
The Mandarin was on the Lisburn road.

Colette

EllCee

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:18:03 PM »
"Does an Indian Restaurant not serve a better curry than a Chinese Restaurant "

Of course.

I have heard the "Bengal Brasserie" at the old Ormeau Bakery, is highly reccomended.   There is one off Botanic Avenue called the "Maharajah", but I can't remember the name of the street.  It's round the corner from Eason's.

I usually make my own, so can't comment on many of the commercial establishments.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 06:06:58 AM »
It's Cromwell Road, Les.

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 11:28:19 AM »
That's it, Chris.

I see they are not in either of the phone books, so perhaps they have closed. 

There was another Indian restaurant further along Botanic Avenue that I have been to.  It closed a couple of years ago.  Was it called the "Taj Mahal"?  It was quite good, but became very scruffy.  The last time I was there was with Simon and Andrew McDaniel. While we were at the bar, Immigration Dept officials removed a number of staff from the kitchen!
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »
I presume that meant the service was somewhat slower than usual, Les :D

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 10:55:41 PM »
Whilst a student in Glasgow I learned the delights of the curry.When I returned to Belfast in 1972 the only Indian Restaurant I could find was around the Methodist Centre across the road and down a bit from the Club Bar.I didn't like it and in any case my mates went to the Swan Chinese Restaurant on the Lisburn Road for the apres Pub nosh.
      One of the first Chinese Restaurants in Belfast served bird's nest soup back in the 60's and the stories you heard as to what the soup was made of were amazing.No offence to the Chinese community whatsoever;but one of the rumours was that the soup was made from crushed Shredded Wheat and Kitekat....laughable.

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 11:14:18 PM »
"one of the rumours was that the soup was made from crushed Shredded Wheat and Kitekat....laughable."

Whereas everyone knew it was really made from Belfast Pigeon or Portavogie Seagull.

Goodness, some people are really thick  .. :P ;)

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 12:35:22 AM »
So was the Pigeon and Seagull Soup Les. You had to chew it :D

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 01:48:33 AM »
Les
Why dont we write up our curry recipes and see how similar or the oppisite they may be are
I love the stuff
I  curry everything. I curry Heinz baked beans with added olives , boiled raisins, onions and chopped tomatoes
Served  with toasted garlic- buttered, pita bread.
Excellent.

EllCee

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 09:45:56 AM »
Les
Why dont we write up our curry recipes and see how similar or the oppisite they may be are
I love the stuff
I  curry everything. I curry Heinz baked beans with added olives , boiled raisins, onions and chopped tomatoes
Served  with toasted garlic- buttered, pita bread.
Excellent.

We could start with any one of the labels on Patak's Curry Paste jars.  Or I have a book entitled "Classic 1000 Indian Recipes", as well as a couple of others.

I'm not that fond of a curry to go to your extreme lengths tho'.   :o