Author Topic: Curry?  (Read 10068 times)

EllCee

Re: Curry?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 08:55:02 PM »
Les
Why dont we write up our curry recipes and see how similar or the oppisite they may be

Here you are M.  Two to be getting on with:

Lesís Meat Curry

Spices:
2 Bay Leaves
1 x 1" Cinnamon stick
8 Peppercorns
8 Cloves
4 Small Cardamoms
2 Large Cardamoms
4 Garlic cloves (or 5 ml Garlic powder)
1 x 5 ml Ground Ginger
1 x 5 ml Chilli powder
1 x 2.5 ml Ground Turmeric
1 x 5 ml Ground Cumin
1 x 5 ml Ground Coriander
150ml Plain Yoghurt
Coconut Milk/ Cream or finely chopped fresh coconut flesh

Other:
25gms Ghee/oil
1 medium Onion, coarsely chopped
450gms/1lb Meat (cubed)
200 ml water
salt

Instructions:
Make up the spices as follows...
A)  Bay leaves, cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves, small and large cardamoms.
B)  Garlic, ginger, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, salt, coriander.

Heat the Ghee/oil and fry the chopped onion until golden brown.
Add ĎAí and fry for 30 seconds.
Add  the cubed meat and "B" and fry, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned.
Stir In the yoghurt and gently fry or "bubble" to remove most of the moisture.
Add the water and gently cook for 40 - 45 mins or until the meat Is tender
10 mins. before the end of cooking add coconut milk/ cream
Notes:
1) This recipe will probably work OK with any meat or chicken.
2) If coconut milk/cream is not available, a reasonable substitute can be made from proprietary products available in supermarkets
3) This recipe will make quite a HOT curry. Chilli should be added according to taste!

Lesís Vegetable Curry

Spices:

1 x 5 ml Chilli powder (adjust to taste)
2 x 5 ml Ground Coriander
1 x 2.5ml Turmeric

Other:

Mixed vegetables, e.g. cubed carrot:, potato, cauliflower, turnip, peas, or any other you can think of.  A good idea is to get a balance of red, white/yellow and green colouring
1 x Medium onion
2 - 3 Chopped tomatoes
Lemon juice
Salt

Instructions:

Fry the onion In the Ghee until golden brown.
Add the mixed vegetables
Stir In the spices and fry for 2 - 3 minutes stirring continuously
Add 2-3 chopped tomatoes and a "squirt* of Lemon juice
Add up to 200 ml of water and bring to the boll
Cook until the potatoes etc. are tender
Serve immediately
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »
Les,....Pataks.  they have a factory in Dundee and a care assistant where my wife works has a part time job there.For£2.50 we get a massive box of curries,breads and Indian trimmings from her-humma,humma.
         Les,a great recipe book is 50 great curries of India by Camellia Panjabi published by Kyle Cathie LTD.
   No curry tonight due to diet starting.So it was low fat Feta,aubergine and zucchini antipasto,beef tomatoes,scallions,cucumber,celery ,roasted red peppers and tossed in balsamic vinegar,extra virgin olive oil and basil.The Californian Zinfandel was just to break down the oil.Oh aye,and a big tuna steak grilled .
                      The curry is still calling.

EllCee

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
Are you fat, by any chance?  Or in current parlance, obese?   :P
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »
Moi of PORTLY DEMEANOUR OR CARRIAGE? 5'7" AND 12 STONE. ...IF YOU WOULD LIKE THE 50 GREAT CURRIES OF INDIA BOOK,PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO MY COPY.....am unlikely to use it again

EllCee

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »
Ah well, you aren't that bad then.  The BMI will be raised a bit, but nothing that 40 days in the desert won't fix.   :P

I'm 5'10" at 12 stone.  I was less than 10 st for decades until I stopped smoking 3.5 years ago.  Now I look pregnant!   :'( :'(

I wouldn't want to deprive you of a valuable resource.  Is the book not available perhaps on ebay?  I'll have a look.  Thank you for the offer.

PS:  I've had to replace amost my entire wardrobe, especially trousers, and don't, despite all everyone says, feel any better for not smoking.   Except financially.  I could afford the clothes!   ;D

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 02:28:24 AM »
LES

Lesís Meat Curry

Do you wear a frilly apron when you cook  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm 5'10"

Yea , wearing 2 inch heels.  ;) ;)

Have you ckecked your height lately, you've most likely shrunk with age , like the rest of us. :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think you are just a wee fat† puddin'

Most fat people claim thay they are taller than they actually are, so that their BMI does not tell them that they are FAT

BUT, I thought it was mainly a woman's trait ;) ;) :-* :-*
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Mageeka

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 03:23:48 AM »
Hey Les
It really seems that you start from scratch
I CHEAT with Pataks tandoori   (AKA,Ghandi's Revenge  :)) + a mixture of herbs which I get from an Indian lady in D.C
The only thing that I insist upon is a good "Stock" usually boiled chicken.lamb or Turkey bones
I add my herbal bouquets , pureed veg. to this and let  the stock simmers for 3 hours
I serve with rice ,Nan bread, popadoms raw onion, unsweetened coconut and riati.
I have found that  a Shiraz wine is great with this
However next time I will use your recipe
Thank you

EllCee

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »
M, I also use Patak's paste, Rogan Josh, Korma and Bhuna.  I haven't made the other one since discovering those colourful jars in the local Asian Supermarket.   :D

I wouldn't drink any wine with a curry.  They just don't mix, IMVHO.  Cold lager or cold water, preferably the beer, and preferably a strong one.  There's a good "Indian" lager, brewed in England, called 'Cobra' which at 5% is ideal, but others are just as suitable.

giannineo

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 05:40:33 PM »
Have you tried Tiger beer Les?-just the ticket with a curry.The Cobra is certainly grand with a curry.
         I have heard of sprout curry but wouldn't dare try it.
    I had a pal from Mauritius when I was a student.He made the most fabulous curries.He would appear with little paper bags of dried herbs and spices and all manner of ingredients.3 hours later the masterpiece was ready.His mother would make a curry on a Monday,and it was topped up as the week progressed...humma,humma.

EllCee

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 09:05:12 PM »
Have you tried Tiger beer Les?-just the ticket with a curry.The Cobra is certainly grand with a curry.
    I had a pal from Mauritius when I was a student.He made the most fabulous curries.He would appear with little paper bags of dried herbs and spices and all manner of ingredients.3 hours later the masterpiece was ready.His mother would make a curry on a Monday,and it was topped up as the week progressed...humma,humma.                 

Mageeka

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »
Les
 Years ago  there used to be a curry paste which I always purchased, but I haven't seen it in years.
It was "Fearns Curry paste!"

EllCee

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »

Yes, I've tried Tiger, and Bangla.  Any strong light lagers are ideal, but if it is "oriental" all the better for adding to the atmosphere.

I had an Indian friend in Libya who brought round a plastic bag full of "stuff" and produced a glorious meal in exchange for some home made beers.

As a matter of expediency, I used to buy 2 kilos of mince beef and make a large pot of bolognase meat sauce for my flat-mate and I to have with spaghettti one night.  The next night, I'd add Chilli con carne "mix" to the pan, and that is what we would have on the second evening.   To finish off, on the third evening I'd add "curry" mix.  So, one cooking, 6 good, and different, meals.

Have you ever tried to make chips from frozen "Smash"?

Mageeka

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 09:44:53 PM »
 Ah a great idea
The bolognase is going on to-night

EllCee

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 10:05:13 PM »
Ah a great idea
The bolognase is going on to-night

Eh, we lived in the desert and only made "meals" that we could eat.  Don't follow my example and entertain friends with the same food 3 nights on the trot!  I had a VERY good and tolerant flatmate.   :o

giannineo

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2006, 11:30:59 PM »
Chips from frozen Smash?Hmmmm,potato ice lollies could be on the cards after a meal of soup sandwiches.