Author Topic: PEVERIL STREET  (Read 7655 times)

ULSTERMIST45

PEVERIL STREET
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY RESIDENTS OFF PEVERIL STREET ON THE ORMEAU RD PRIOR TO 71. WOULD LOVE TO CONTACT THE GLENDINNINGS, FINLAYS OR ENGLANDS :D

von

Re: PEVERIL STREET
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
I lived in Peveril St from 1951 -1967 roughly.  I remember the Glendinnings and Granny England.
Do you remember Louis McCormicks shop?
Von

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:02:51 AM »
MY GRANDMOTHER AND GRANDFATHER, SAMMY AND SADIE LOWRY LIVED IN NO.5.
MY FATHER WAS BOBBY LOWRY.
YES I REMEMBER THE MCCORMICKS SHOP GETTING A PENNY MIX OUT OF IT AND FINLAYS COAL SHOP ON THE BEND IN PEVERIL ST.
AND REF THE GLENDINNINGS, THE MOST VIVID MEMORY IS ME AND MY COUSIN LARRY MCCALL PUTTING YOUNG DAVID GLENDINNING IN A JCB TYRE AND ROLLING HIM FROM THE TOP OF THE STREET.
IT WOULD'NT BE SO BAD, BUT HE WAS ONLY OUT OF HOSPITAL AFTER GETTING THE HOLE IN HIS HEART REPAIRED.
THERE WAS BLUE MURDER THAT DAY. LOL :idiot2:

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
VAGUELY.
BUT I DO REMEMBER GRANNY ENGLANDS SHOP AT THE CORNER AND OLD DAVEY FINLAYS COAL SHOP ACROSS THE STREET.
MY FATHER ALWAYS BROUGHT OLD DAVEY A SMALL BOTTLE OF MUNDIES EVERY NOW AND AGAIN.
I'VE STILL GOT PHOTOS FROM THOSE DAYS

aussietrekker

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:32 AM »
My Grandad had a cousin in Peveril Street, the old girl's name was Maud Maltman. Apparently she was an eccentric old spinster, and kept a confectionery shop. I believe her place is now an Indian restaurant. Any reminiscences or snippets of info would be welcome.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

wavey davey

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »
I have a photo of my brother Brian outside Louis McCormick's shop.   Does anyone remenber the Rutherfords ?

Lady Ireland

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:45 AM »
 ??? I remember the Morgans who lived in peveril St,....Gearad Morgan was engaged to one of my sisters, he had a sister called Christine, i think she had a hole in her heart, god bless her.
Also went about with a girl called Greta Tempelton who lived there, would love to know where she is now... I  recall  the shops, especailly the coal shop, the man and woman used to scare the wits out of lol.

noseyparker

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:38:25 PM »
Yes I remember McCormick's shop he had four sons and lived across the road in Abbot Street (convienient for after hours)Does anyone remember Tilly and Jokey Taylor real characters. Remember a Margaret Lowry and the Adams family.

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
Margaret Lowry or mccall as she is now is my aunt.
She's now living on the donegall rd ???

iusedtobe16

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 12:09:30 PM »
 :)
??? I remember the Morgans who lived in peveril St,....Gearad Morgan was engaged to one of my sisters, he had a sister called Christine, i think she had a hole in her heart, god bless her.
Also went about with a girl called Greta Tempelton who lived there, would love to know where she is now... I  recall  the shops, especailly the coal shop, the man and woman used to scare the wits out of lol.

IM one of the morgans i never lived in peveril st .my sister was the wee girl that died from a hole in the heart my brother gearld die in accident in the ormeau bakery 07.I rember the girl he was engaged to shame he did not marry her instead of the drinker sheila.    

flynnman

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Hello my name is alexander magill my sister Sandra and i were fostered by a woman called McDonald and we lived at 16 peveril street i remember granny englands shop with great fondness she helped me before i was taken to england leaving all behind.
I went to the local infant school up to the ormeau road and opposite peveril street.
The polo cinema where i saw my first film " The King and I "
My first girl friend was a girl called Helen blair she had a  brother cxalled Noel
My sister and i where know as Sandra and Alex McDonald.
My mother died at my birth in 1952 and Madge McDonald fostered my sister and i on her own. She suffered from very severe epilepsy and was frequently hospitalised.

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
Ref granny england, i found an old photo of her holding my father Bobby Lowry when he was about 4yrs old.
That would put it about 1940.
Strange to think she used to do the same with me in the 1960.s.
After she died her son Rossie England and his wife Fran i think moved in.
After that Billy Moore snr mved in and ran fruit business round the markets from there with his son Billy Moore jnr and my father working for him.
My father was the only one that had a driving licence cos the other two had lost theres for life. lol :D

kazbest21

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
Does anyone know anything about a Best family living in Peveril St upto 1965  neighbours possibly Moffet

Viv1

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
Yes I remember McCormick's shop he had four sons and lived across the road in Abbot Street (convienient for after hours)Does anyone remember Tilly and Jokey Taylor real characters. Remember a Margaret Lowry and the Adams family.
[/quo Tilly and Jokey where my great aunt and uncle I was born in Peveril Street no 24]

Birchwood

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a Best family living in Peveril St upto 1965  neighbours possibly Moffet
 My grandfather and grandmother Best lived at this house.  I remember visiting them in the early sixties although I was rather young.  My father George was their son.  Unfortunately dad died in 1979.. Reply back to me if you are looking any more info.