Author Topic: PEVERIL STREET  (Read 7654 times)

CMcG

Re: PEVERIL STREET
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:46 AM »
Does anyone know anything about a Best family living in Peveril St upto 1965  neighbours possibly Moffet
 My grandfather and grandmother Best lived at this house.  I remember visiting them in the early sixties although I was rather young.  My father George was their son.  Unfortunately dad died in 1979.. Reply back to me if you are looking any more info.

The 1943 Street Directory for Peveril Street, courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, shows:

36. Taylor, John, fireman
 38. Best, J., smith's helper
 40. McBride, James, labourer
 42. Henry, James, labourer
 44. Moffett, J., labourer

Full listing for everil Street here:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/nopcomplete1943.htm

I wonder if it is the same Best?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

[email protected]

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
  I was born in Peveril  Street in 1937 and lived there until 1949 except a year or so during the war when the family moved to Carnalea. I remember Coal Black Joe, Mrs England and Louie McCormack, at the bottom of the street, just before Louies there was an old man called Granda McKibbin who, when the weather was nice would sit outside his house smoking his pipe, that was until they built a great big air raid shelter outside his house. A few other names come to mind, Harry, Elsie and Edith Mooney and the Gibson family.

[email protected]

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
ulstermist45,  having read some of your posts it occurred to me that you quite possibly might remember my name as I have already mentioned I was born in peveril st. in 1939.it would be interesting to know if you lived in peveril st.

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
My grandparents lived in no.5.
you would know my father bobby lowry who lived there until about 1962

[email protected]

Re: PEVERIL STREET ulstermist45
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
hi ulstermist45,  I remember the name lowry but cant put faces to any of them and as with the exception of one older sister all my older siblings are passed on,five brothers and one sister so I am now the oldest male still standing.the family moved to carnalea around about 1941 or 1942 and returned around 1946 or so.among the names I remember are mcalisters,coal black joe,taylors,granda mckibbin who lived in the last house before you came to louie mccormacks shop

Glenys1

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
hi Ulstermist45
I am researching Englands, Bests, Pollys & Hamiltons. Interested in your post on Granny Englands shop on Peveril Street. The England connection I have is William James England (Great grandfather)who married Ada Sarah Polly. William was originally born in Armagh , but my granny, when born, was brought up near Apsley Street, and later when she herself was married the family lived in Ebor Street. Am just trying to place all these areas together and when I saw your post about Mrs England was wondering if she was one of my Englands. Oh ,my granny was born in 1915 by the way....

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
Give me a week or so glenys and i'll put up a picture of  Mrs england holding up my father outside her shop.
The photo is probably circa 1939/40.
It might help you.
Also she had a son called Rozzie England who moved in after she passed away in 1968/69 [i vaguely remember being at the funeral, as i was only about 6 or so].
 [/i]

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
The coal black joe your referring to is i think, Davey Finlay who owned the coal shop just at the bend in the street as you were heading up towards Sheechans pub at the top.
My grandfather used to paper and paint their upstairs rooms every year.
He once told me the neighbors used to ask how dirty it was upstairs cos davey and his wife were always covered in coaldust.
But he told them it was spotless, i can back that up as i was upstairs when i was young and actually seen it myself. ;)

Glenys1

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »
HI Ulstermist45
Looking to see if you ever came across that photo of Granny England.

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 02:07:12 AM »
SORRY GLENYS
I FORGOT ALL ABOUT YOU.
WILL GET THAT DONE IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS.
HAVE BEEN IN GREECE AND UKRAINE FORE THE LAST 3 WEEKS

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
Ref peveril st

sonnyboy

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
Do any of you remember the Nesbitt s in Lavinia St   John  Bobby    Barney Lawrence?

davylad

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 08:11:56 PM »
I lived in Peveril St from 1951 -1967 roughly.  I remember the Glendinnings and Granny England.
Do you remember Louis McCormicks shop?
Von
[
/quote]my grandparents lived at 10 peveril street my grandfather was davy millar he was a painter and decorator for brands and norman in belfast my grandmother was called gertie as was my mother my brother and i used to get the school bus at the top of the street to take us to botanic primary school

JK Dee

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
Tilly and Jokey Taylor were my grandmother's brother and sister in law, she was Mary Bingham and lived at 41 Lavinia Street until the 60s.

Okim

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 08:43:41 PM »
Hi
Would anyone know the Ellen Lavery who lived at Peveril Street? I'm not sure of the date she would of moved there, but i know my mum (Ellen's daughter) lived with there in 1950/1951. She also had other daughters Edie and Neill and a son Bobby.