Author Topic: Idiotic and Interfering Officialdom Stories.  (Read 13204 times)

Christopher

Re: Idiotic and Interfering Officialdom Stories.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 03:30:07 AM »
It's surprising in this day and age, when so many things can be controlled from a distance, that the fault could not be repaired from Galway without the necessity of a guy travelling all the way to Belfast and home again.   

Charles W

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »
The building that I work in is contracted for repairs to a British company.  Nothing unusual about that.  I am certain that some Belfast company's are contracted to do work in other countries.  It's the world that we now live in.  I agree that is not what we would expect or see as ideal. 

giannineo

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 04:16:31 AM »
Banks.....jeez, week 5 of a dispute. .mistake made  which was 50% mine,50% the bank.12 miles to the bank for negotiations,endless phone calls and they want to charge me for rectifying the mistake.Yesterday my debit card was showing "payment not authorised.Fortunately had another card and paid up . Then the flaming Bank machine in the village was down and I had to make a trip of 22 miles to go to another one to find my account in balance very healthily.
       They make money out of you ,it's your money and it is a  pay and beg system.I had to wait for 45 mins. in the bank last week to speak to somebody. Hold up was an American who wanted to open an account.Poor guy,how he managed to keep his patience.And it was he who was wanting to give them his money.
     What happened to the time when  the Banks were helpful and courteous and your custom was valued?
       But for one girl in the Bank who is trying her best to sort the mess, out I would be up and off to another Bank....aaaaaagh !

Charles W

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »
The most common mistaken opinion that the public have about banks is the opinion that they are there to help you - not so, they are there to make money!
It's a case of always reading the small print on letters from banks.

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
The most common mistaken opinion that the public have about banks is the opinion that they are there to help you - not so, they are there to make money!
It's a case of always reading the small print on letters from banks.

It is a well known fact that banks are there to make money ... it's the way that they go about making that money that gets people extremely annoyed. There are a great many businesses that are there to make money and do not go about things in the ruthless way that most banks go about theirs. Civility, consideration and courteousness are somewhat important in most people's eyes.

giannineo

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
Aye Christopher, the banks are there to skin you. But at least they used to have manners and a wee bit of flexibility.Now you almost have to pay to walk in the door.
     Matter settled hopefully ,but now have the address of their big shot boss and I am after the 45 quid interest accrued.Banking Ombudsman if no joy.....grrrrrrr.

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
g, you may be OK if you can persuade the bank's computer to understand your problems. However the computer is emotionless ... once it has counted your hard earned money in its system it thinks it belongs to the bank and should not be returned to you.

Bull-ant

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 11:51:51 AM »
Christopher,

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, maybe you can tell me.  The other thing is I don't know how old this image is.  If it is old then maybe you can tell me what they are or have built here. ???
Don't think I'd like to live on the northern end rim especially with kids, looks like a fair old drop :o

Merv

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Hiya Merv,

It's a long time since I've been in that part of Belfast. Colette or Pentio might know.

Chris 

Mooncoin

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »
A pompous Health Development Officer for Nutrition (where do they get some of these fine titles?) attempted
to blame the obesity of the nation on Burger King and opined that they be more responsible by making smaller burgers. For crying out loud if people wish to stuff themselves full with burgers it has absolutely nothing to do with the burger makers. What on earth happened to freedom of choice?

Couldn't agree more, nowadays it mostly a case of "mammy, lift me away form the the fire, I'm burning".  Surely common sense has to make a comeback!

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »
The Health officials are now going utterly insane. Still on the subject of obesity they are considering putting obese children into care. Now I'm sure most people with a titter of wit know that it costs a lot less to allow parents to rear their children at home rather than put them into a care home. If the Health people feel they must interfere how about compulsory parenting courses including a course on "Healthy Eating for Your Children" and maybe another one on "How to Discipline Unruly Children." Not only that the parents could pay to attend the courses and if they did not attend then they would be prosecuted and fined. Result ... no cost to the state.

Christopher

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 01:30:15 AM »
I've just looked at the Links board of a website for a place in Co. Armagh. The following link is shown.

SCOTTISH BAGIPER FOR HIRE
Scottish bagpiper available to play at all events. Having a piper playing the Highland Bagpipes can add
a sense of occasion for all type of events.

I expected that the piper, as I'm sure most people would, would be based in Northern Ireland. Not a bit of it.
He's based in the Wisconsin/Illinois state line area. Ach well, it's only a link so maybe people in his area spot
him on the board of the place in Armagh.

TheShakyShamrock

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 01:56:52 AM »
Back to the toilets issue...

I find that if you are refused access to the toilet on the grounds that it's for staff only, that threatening to pee right there and then on the floor usually provokes the response you were after in the first place.

As for people abusing this privilege and making a god awful mess of a toilet nomatter whos is just downright gross.  What's wrong with people?????

Many years working in nightclubs doing first aid meant I had to pull many a punter out of the toilet, never mind other blockages.  Those were the ones that actually made it to the toilet before nature took its course....

:o
No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar

Christopher

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 02:21:54 AM »
I work in Boucher Retail Park and although the store that I work in has toilets for anyone who wishes to use them they are also our work toilets.  The standard of hygiene among many of the users is of the very lowest standard.  This includes customers as well as visitors who are not customers.  A lot of them suffer from right arm problems as they are not able to flush the toilets after they use them.  This includes female customers.  I think that many of them regard the toilet flush handles and toilet brushes as offensive weapons.  I find it very sickening that when I or other staff want to use the toilets that we have to clean other peoples dirt.  I can understand why some shops limit the number of people using their toilets and I believe that they are right in doing so.  Some of the conditions left by the toilet users requires cleaning staff to clean up the mess left.  This mess includes people going to the toilet and forgeting to use the urinals or the toilet chambers.  Blocking the toilets with paper, sanitary towels and other articles, including articles of clothing, is a very common situation.  Most cleaning staff used in the shops are part time and when this happens outside their working hours who has to clean it up?  Would you like their job when this situation happens?  Or our job when they are not on duty?  It is a health and safety requirement that this offensive mess is removed.  There is also the fact that some people would use this mess as a means of  compensation setting in, ie. they, slipping on it, if you get my point.  Yes! it has happened before.  Our shop spends thousands of pounds a year bringing outside company's in to repair the toilet blockages.  This is also the reason that animals are not allowed in the stores, yet some people ignore this point and are offended when they are asked to remove their animals from the store.  Boucher Retail Park, was a bad planning situation and it should never of had been given planning permission without the proper provision of public toilet facilities.  This is also the case, as to the lack of proper bus facilities to the area.  As regards the timetable in the Europa Bus Station, sending to Galway to have it repaired.  In our store they come over from Britain to do most repairs.  This is nothing unusual.

I've been in many establishments where the Health and Hygiene Regulations are observed to the letter. There's a chart on the toilet wall showing the times that the toilets are checked. I think they are meant to be checked on an hourly basis. They are meant to be signed by the person who checked them and a new chart is placed on the wall each day. Customers are invited to complain to the management if they're not clean or there's no soap or paper when they use the facilities. That means that there tends to be a more regular check than that required by the Regulations. The toilets in those places are spotless as they should be in every establishment that is open to the public. There are people with certain ailments who need to use the toilet on a regular basis and they also have to shop. By the way Charles W, you mention animals, what do you do with blind people and their guide dogs in your store? I listen to the BBC programme "In Touch" and a month or so ago a person on that programme said that a member of staff at a branch of a national chain had refused them admission with their dog. The "In Touch" programme contacted the Head Office of that particular store as well as a large number of other national chains and all of them said it was company policy to allow admission to blind people and their guide dogs although they did admit they sometimes did get complaints that their staff had refused such people. I also heard some time ago of an upmarket furniture store, at the Boucher Road complex, who refused access to their store to a couple with a child in a wheelchair. That couple did not want to use the toilet ... they wanted to spend a large amount of money in the store. Your message reads as though some stores are becoming anti customer and it would serve such stores right if customers decided en masse to take their custom elsewhere. Oh BTW like every other shop I've no doubt that your shop gets thousands of pounds a year from paying customers.

Charles W

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
We give 100% assistance and care to disabled persons.  There are two types of dogs allowed into the store.  The first, is dogs accompanying blind or visually impaired persons.  The second is 'hearing dogs'.  We also go out of our way by asking does the customer need assistance around the store.  If so, we provide the assistance.  As with all customers, we respect them and appreciate their custom.

On an earlier posting a map was shown of an area on the Springfield Road Belfast. This area is the course of the Forth River which is now culverted in. The area you are inquiring about is known as the 'Flush' and I have not heard of any future use for the land.