Author Topic: O'Hara's Bakery  (Read 26874 times)

DOFFER

Re: O'Hara's Bakery
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
yes Doffer, it would be like all our xmas's  come as one. :D :-* :-*

INDEED KATE ,IV HAD A HANKERING FOR WEEKS NOW FOR ALL THE ABOVE LOL, I CAN ALMOST TASTE THEM BUT JUST CANT GET THEM ,,,,,,,,,,,THINK I NEED TO COME HOME SOON , :-*
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Beardysgirl

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
there sausage rolls are the best of all time never had a roll like it and never will
The times I have said that, I have tasted sausage rolls from all over. What I wouldn't give for a O'Haras sausage roll and a bap. Have never understood why the recipe was not sold on. Am sure there would be money it.

mescott

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
I worked in Woolies and every morning we would have a bun run to the O Hara,a on North street l loved their fresh cream custard's, and a well done Bap, and their coconut scones My mouth is watering just thinking about them   Mescott

CMcG

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »

I miss O'Hara's for sure, I got my lunch every day from them for a period in the early 1980s, their hot sausage rolls were to die for, also their pork pasty (in pastry, not the chipshop type!). 

They also used to do a corned beef paste sandwich that I have never since come close to replicating. Hmmm.

Shame the recipes disappeared.

Dommo

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
Does anyone have information about O'Hara's Bakery? When did the business open and when did it close? Did it close around 1998 or earlier? The information below came from street directories. I presume it was a long established family business but was the original O'Hara a Belfast man or someone who had started a business elsewhere and came to Belfast around the time many of the large manufacturing businesses were being established in the city? 

In 1960 the business was a Limited company at 41-45, Shankill Road and had a number of branches. In 1987 under the Limited Liability section there's the following information   O'Hara's Bakeries, Ltd., 182-188, Cambrai Street, Belfast. Directors: Albert O'Hara (he was also the company secretary), Victor O'Hara and William A. O'Hara
Wasn't there one in Queen Street?
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Bread Basket

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
Wasn't there one in Queen Street?
Do not remember 1 in Q Street. .but there was 1 in York Street

crossybelfast

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
Yes there was one in queen st a couple of doors down from the now bingo hall, I think it's a picture framing shop now.

Dommo

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »
Yes there was one in queen st a couple of doors down from the now bingo hall, I think it's a picture framing shop now.
no, I do remember one there, but it was doors away from the "picture gallery" which has been ownedc by friends of mine since the 70's.

jamie

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
Wasn't there an O'Haras bakery on Ardoyne Road.  I seem to remember a bakery next to Tony McKenna's first shop before he built the big one further up the road which he eventually sold to Tom Roycroft from Cork. 

Bruce Wayne

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:59 PM »
There was one in Sandy Row between McAdam Street and Hurst Street. My granny bought their baps regularly, they were the best I ever tasted!
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE

Dommo

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
There was one in Sandy Row between McAdam Street and Hurst Street. My granny bought their baps regularly, they were the best I ever tasted!
hughes bap!!

Bruce Wayne

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »
hughes bap!!

Dommo, I can't comment as I never tried them, only remember O'Hara's   her indoors agrees with me, for once!
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE

Dommo

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »

Dommo, I can't comment as I never tried them, only remember O'Hara's   her indoors agrees with me, for once!
I had O'Hara's queen street. And Hughes . Truth is they were the same , but as I was a van helper for Kennedy-Hughes I have to pretend they were better... :D

walshman

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »
Does anyone have information about O'Hara's Bakery? When did the business open and when did it close? Did it close around 1998 or earlier? The information below came from street directories. I presume it was a long established family business but was the original O'Hara a Belfast man or someone who had started a business elsewhere and came to Belfast around the time many of the large manufacturing businesses were being established in the city? 

In 1960 the business was a Limited company at 41-45, Shankill Road and had a number of branches. In 1987 under the Limited Liability section there's the following information   O'Hara's Bakeries, Ltd., 182-188, Cambrai Street, Belfast. Directors: Albert O'Hara (he was also the company secretary), Victor O'Hara and William A. O'Hara
I remember O'Hara bakers in York street just across from the linen mill.
Remember the bread strikes,O hara's the savior.

Alilj50

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
I realise this thread was from 2009 but wondered if anyone at all would have an old photo of O'haras bakery at 255 shankill road or maybe know where to find one?