Author Topic: O'Hara's Bakery  (Read 26244 times)

eddiep

Re: O'Hara's Bakery
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
You can probably get old photo's of some of the O'Hara's shops from The Belfast Telegraph in Royal Avenue, Alilj50.

scotland

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 10:45:07 PM »
Hi I worked in O,Haras bakery in Sandy Row early to mid 60s and on a Thursday worked in the Done gall Pass branch I remember a girl from the Shan kill Road  branch called Ena Coker also 1 of the delivery guys name of Jimmy Beggs I also worked in Rieds little bakery and cafe at the end of the Done gall Rd and their shop in Agnes St  Happy Days M

May Donnelly

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2015, 11:25:13 AM »
Not a bit of wonder it closed down the last I ventured into one was 1997 in Andersonstown! Thought then that I would have to take out a morgage for my bread and buns if I ever came back to live in Belfast !

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 12:09:17 AM »
I realise this thread was from 2009 but wondered if anyone at all would have an old photo of O'haras bakery at 255 shankill road or maybe know where to find one?

Google o'haras shankill road photos there is a nice pic on there. Hope this helps
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

LB

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
There was an O'Haras bakery on the upper Crumlin Road in Belfast where we bought almost all our bread. An O'Haras heal was a rare treat. you don't know what love got till its gone. What I am interested in is their muffins. These appear to be  a simple semi sweet bread, browned in an frying pan  on the stove top, instead of in an oven. Am I right? I would love to try to recreate them....
If you can't buy it, start making it from scratch. If anyone has any tips that would be fantastic!
LB
Miami

JDavies

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »
There was an O'Hara's bakery on the Lower Oldpark just below my Uncle John's shop. Does any one remember him?
Home is where the heart is. Northern Ireland for ever.

Creaky

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
There is still one of the O'Hara family living up on Ballysillan Road. I had a yarn with him about 10 or so years ago. He told me that the factory in Cambrai St cost something like 3 million pounds to set up. But once Tesco got a good grip here they couldn't compete and the bakery folded.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

Caveman

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:37 PM »
Wasn't there an O'Haras bakery on Ardoyne Road.  I seem to remember a bakery next to Tony McKenna's first shop before he built the big one further up the road which he eventually sold to Tom Roycroft from Cork.

My mother worked in O’Haras shop at the Ardoyne shops. She the was then made manageress of a new shop on Oldpark Road when it opened. opened

danso

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
Loved oharas  in the pass great baps

derdrei

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2018, 02:04:48 AM »
Loved oharas  in the pass great baps
love a oharas bab toasted and plenty of butter on it now.

Dub

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
Barney Hughes was a prod, he was a friend of  the Rev Henry Cooke ( The Black Man statue is of Rev Cooke) Barney married a Presbyterian and Rev Henry Cooke performed the cermoney.

Barney Hughes was a Catholic. He came to Belfast from Armagh, worked as a manager in a central bakery in Belfast and was sacked because of his nationalist views. He set up his own Bakery and became very successful with the famous "Barney Hughes Bap" now known as the "Belfast Bap"  The Rev Cooke was not his friend, indeed he saw him as  the enemy because he met up with Daniel O'Connell,  because of his nationalist views and because he did so much for the catholic working class people of Belfast.
He  became very rich, became a City counsellor and was a benefactor for St. Peters in the Falls area. His first wife was catholic but after she died, he remarried. His second wife was Presbyterian.
His family plot is in Friers Bush cemetery.
                                                          All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)

Noel P

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
I give in you both ladies are quite right, I just had a senior moment.

another piece of info, a grand daughter of W.J.o'Hara, Kathleen Stubberfield had a shop on the Shankill opp Moscow St (in the old police station premises)

Mrs Stubberfield (Kathleen) lived in Braehill. I got a lift to school with her son, Michael. I remember spending the weeks before Hallowe'en (mid 1960s?) with pals, including Michael wrapping up hundreds 'gold' rings with paper mottos for O'Hara's apple tarts, in Mrs Stubberfield's kitchen. Wonder where Michael is now? He owes me  :D .He'd a big sister - Colleen. I'm sure the ring thing wouldn't be allowed now …. health & safety ….. in case someone choked.

Natalie_doc_xo

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2019, 01:47:00 AM »
My Grandad use to work for O'Hara's  bakery it closed in January 1998