Author Topic: Belfast Comedians  (Read 14489 times)

gerrymac

Re: Belfast Comedians
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 06:14:47 AM »
Does anyone remember Paddy Leonard
Gerry Mac

REP1

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:05 AM »
Does anyone remember Paddy Leonard
Gerry Mac

Paddy was one of best and wrote material for many of the bigger names on TV.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

gerrymac

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
Sadly Paddy has passed as has both of his sons Patrick and Paul May they rest in peace.
Gerry Mac

waterwillow

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Hi folks, thanks for the kind memories of my Dad Connie Stewart.
He certainly was a "character" once met never forgotten. LOL
The number of charity gigs he did was phoenomenal, he lived for the stage thats for sure.  From childhood shows to playing a small part in The Lion in Winter.
Personally I can remember going to gigs and coming home in the back of a "PIG" Connie a little worse for wear.  I also know that he would head out to do a show on one side of the peace line, to be taken by "The Boys" to meeting place and transferring to a car from the "Other Side".  He never cared.  He just felt The Show Must Go On.
Connie knew Marjory Rea etc from Gainsborough all his life as he grew up in Gainsborough Drive himself.
Used to tell me about an incident as a youth where he and his mates were getting grief from the Park warden in Alexandra Park (think thats the name) so he and his comrades peeed in an tin and poured it through the corrigated roof of his hut soaking him.  So he had this sometimes warped sence of humour from an early age.
Thanks again for the memories
David

REP1

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »
Hi folks, thanks for the kind memories of my Dad Connie Stewart.
He certainly was a "character" once met never forgotten. LOL
The number of charity gigs he did was phoenomenal, he lived for the stage thats for sure.  From childhood shows to playing a small part in The Lion in Winter.
Personally I can remember going to gigs and coming home in the back of a "PIG" Connie a little worse for wear.  I also know that he would head out to do a show on one side of the peace line, to be taken by "The Boys" to meeting place and transferring to a car from the "Other Side".  He never cared.  He just felt The Show Must Go On.
Connie knew Marjory Rea etc from Gainsborough all his life as he grew up in Gainsborough Drive himself.
Used to tell me about an incident as a youth where he and his mates were getting grief from the Park warden in Alexandra Park (think thats the name) so he and his comrades peeed in an tin and poured it through the corrigated roof of his hut soaking him.  So he had this sometimes warped sence of humour from an early age.
Thanks again for the memories
David
[/quote)

David, your dad was brilliant and sadly missed by all who got to know him; he was one of a kind.
One of the best parts of his act was when the tape would break in the middle of the show, and he would just carry joking on until he got it going again. It didnít fizz on him one little bit.
Pity there isnít anyone around these days with his talent.

[font=][/font]

Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

waterwillow

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »
Thanks. Many a sleepless night I had as a kid as he tapped his foot on the floor to learn the timing so he could walk out into the audiance and return to the mike just at the right second.
Cheers

canada now

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »
frank carson in my opinion was the best remember it was never the jokes it was the way he told them

lairdy

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »
Tom Raymond use to lead the community singing at International Matches at Windsor Park in the 1950's & 60's. Margory Rea, who lived in Gainsborough Drive, close to Alexander Park, was his sister and was a leading female comedian of the time, through the 1960's. Another brother was George Reynolds, who compered many local variety shows in Church Halls and Orange Halls.

Used to work with George Reynolds ,a very comical character .Does anybody recall Barry Brent from the 1980's -excellent club comedian ? 

Len0767

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »
Sadly Paddy has passed as has both of his sons Patrick and Paul May they rest in peace.
Gerry Mac

Good to find this online Paddy was my granda and Paul my father.

Remember my granda doing stand up in the PD when I was little

misssmyth1

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
James young was the master of comedy i never failed to laugh til I cried . I loved him because he took the mickey out of everyone but never in a nasty way .. He was great as the 'oul doll' head scarf and rollers

Dot/dash

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
Frank Carson is the only one I knew               through British TV              loved his humour
love me       love my gelding    

stickleback

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 06:43:46 PM »

Frank Carson, or 'Snowball' as I believe he was known as a young man, at Cane Hill Psychiatric Hospital in Surrey where I worked, I said WORKED, for a year after leaving Belfast. Eight years after this show was recorded.

Like most stand-ups back in the day, Frank had a jokes-writer.

But no-one could tell em like he could

The Cane Hill gig 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO26Z6khm7I

jjmack

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
I think the best ones are up at Stormont these days.  ::)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 05:47:07 AM »
James young was the master of comedy i never failed to laugh til I cried . I loved him because he took the mickey out of everyone but never in a nasty way .. He was great as the 'oul doll' head scarf and rollers

James Young was the master of Ulster comedy.   :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Lost Login

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »

I saw Majorie Rea once, way back in the late 80's. She did her stand-up comedy in Joanmount Methodist church hall. 

Sammy Mackie, If I recall correctly, he had something of hit single entitled "Sambo". He wasn't being racist. It was in fact Sammy rapping in a take-off of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo".
Not available in Northern Ireland.