Author Topic: Belfast Comedians  (Read 15120 times)

wheelnutter

Re: Belfast Comedians
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Jerry Miller was a brilliant comedian and better than Frank Carson but wanted to stay at home so didn't hit the big time.

I think  Rachel Kelly, a contestant in the Andrew Loyd Webber show  "I'd do anything" competition,  was Tommy tucker Kelly's daughter. She was a finalist for Nancy.

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »
Jimmy Cricket (Muldoon) came from Cookstown.
Gerry Miller.  ..."Spanish Onions"
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

rathlin

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »
Jerry Miller by a mile.  ;)
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

Seaviewite

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 02:50:27 PM »
Tom Raymond use to lead the community singing at International Matches at Windsor Park in the 1950's & 60's. Margory Rea, who lived in Gainsborough Drive, close to Alexander Park, was his sister and was a leading female comedian of the time, through the 1960's. Another brother was George Reynolds, who compered many local variety shows in Church Halls and Orange Halls.
When at Thy call my weary feet I turn
The gates of paradise are opened wide
At Goodison I know a man can learn
Rapture more rich than Anfield can pr

stickyra

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
Gerry Millar was brilliant
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

McGurggle

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
Sammy Mackie was alright in his day. "Im yer man, Im yer man, Im yer man.  :D
McG

Erincyprus

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
Was there a really funny guy called Jackie Geddis in Belfast years ago?

Erin
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

McGurggle

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
There sure was a Jackie Geddis. King of the 'one liners'. Also Connie Stewart mime artist. (A man). He always phoned the 'gig' to see which group were playing & then phone the group to ask them for a lift to the gig. He always got a lift home again too. :D These people entertained all through the troubles in all areas & were always treated with respect from all sides. Even when the jokes were a wee bit near the 'knuckle'
McG

jemmy hope

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:24 AM »
Sammy McClure was a good comedian. He appeared regularly around town up to the late 70's. He was a mate of Frank Carson.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

crankles

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
I always remember Gerry Millar telling about taking his boots to the shoemaker,
   "can ye do anything with these?"       "Aye, I`ll burn them for ya'"

harry chivers

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
Remember most of the guys you talk about here, lads. Jackie Wright was the one who got his head slapped by Benny Hill. I saw Gene Fitzpatrick at a golf do one night and he told the story about his son saying to him that he had his eye on a new bike for Xmas. Gene told him to keep his eye on it for he would'nt be getting his a--- on it!!! Brilliant!!

REP1

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
There sure was a Jackie Geddis. King of the 'one liners'. Also Connie Stewart mime artist. (A man). He always phoned the 'gig' to see which group were playing & then phone the group to ask them for a lift to the gig. He always got a lift home again too. :D These people entertained all through the troubles in all areas & were always treated with respect from all sides. Even when the jokes were a wee bit near the 'knuckle'
McG
You are spot on about Connie Stewart, I brought him home on countless occasions. He lived at the top of the Clifftonville road.
One night in mid seventies we were stopped by the paras on the Clifftoville rd. You can guess their reaction when they searched the boot of the car, and discovered Connie's case full of wigs moustache's and props for his act. But Connie saved the day by doing his act out on the road, to prove the props were not for any illegal purpose. he was hilarious and us and the army falling apart laughing. What a great Character.

Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

McGurggle

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »
Thats right. Connie lived in Joanmount Gardens or thereabouts.
Another mime act was George Carroll. He was the cabaret act at a gig we played one Friday night in Lisburn. He did his usual act which we'd all seen many times before including miming to "Please Release Me" with his 'corsets' wrapped around his waist. He threw the corsets over his shoulder & they landed behind the stage. Usually the 'Cabarets' had four or five gigs in a night but this was Georges last one that evening so he had a wee chat with us at the bar. I told him we were in the "Talk of the North" (Cloughfern Arms) the next night & he wished us the best & left. I found the corsets when we were packing up our gear & chucked them into our bag of cables & leads hoping to return them to him sometime.
I got to the Cloughfern early the next night to get our groups gear in but could'nt get up the stairs till a meeting finished so I sat at the bar & had a beer. I caught a glimpse of a familiar face at my side & and out of breath George Carroll gasped out loud "HAVE YOUS GOT MY FEKIN' CORSETS??".   :smile: Six or seven LARGE para/punks at the bar could'nt help but hear it & turned around & studied me & George till' one said, "Oh well, each to his own".
George went off to his own gig but the 'gorilla's' sat in the front row in the cabaret & "ripped the shxt out of me for 2 hours"
I could'nt listen to "Please Release Me" ever again.  ;)

McG

REP1

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
An other mime act was the Fantastics from Newtownards, Brilliant
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

Sally Ann

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
You are spot on about Connie Stewart, I brought him home on countless occasions. He lived at the top of the Clifftonville road.
One night in mid seventies we were stopped by the paras on the Clifftoville rd. You can guess their reaction when they searched the boot of the car, and discovered Connie's case full of wigs moustache's and props for his act. But Connie saved the day by doing his act out on the road, to prove the props were not for any illegal purpose. he was hilarious and us and the army falling apart laughing. What a great Character.

RIP Connie, passed away a few years ago now.

Could be seen in the Europa, Saturday afternoon, when Gerry Rice & his Jazz band played. On the rare occasion sure he even gave a wee song!  One true Gentleman for sure!
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!