Author Topic: Pubs on Newtownards road,belfast  (Read 7982 times)

mealey

Pubs on Newtownards road,belfast
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:44 PM »
would anyone have old photos of pubs  along Newtownards road that they would like to share, such as the Brittania bar, Electiic Bar, White Star, the Old Judge [Lynches] McMahons, Scotch Row, Vulcan Bar etc.  would be most grateful,
                             Sammy
Sammy Mealey

Montrose

• Account Closed
Re: Pubs on Newtownards road,belfast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:40:22 AM »

I have not any photos of those bars Sammy, If I had. I would share them Gladly. I worked for Hastings in the early 50s working in some of those Bars including ..The Scotch Row House,  Avenue Bar, and The Albert Bar ( Ben L Firths) also The Great Eastern...facing The Vulcan Bar...the Vulcan and the Scotch Row House were lovely old pubs, the decor was amazing...I may have some in little book I have on East Belfast...I will look...and if I have I will post them on this thread?...ok.. O0
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

teragram

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
I remember a bloke who managed the Stormont Inn telling me that one day when the bar was packed, everyone had to speak in a loud voice to be heard. Two oul boys standing at the bar, and one of them shouted to the other. "Nobody'll ever find my money where I have it hidden, under the oilcloth at the side of the bed".  Needless to say, he spoke too loud :idiot2:
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

tboy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:16 PM »
people who drank in the stormont inn did not have oiled cloth, unless you are 110 years old, tearup ::)

Jon B

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:51:28 PM »

We had oil cloth on some of our floors into the early 70s.
 I thought nit was just another name for Linoleum or Lino.

teragram

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
We had oil cloth on some of our floors into the early 70s.
 I thought nit was just another name for Linoleum or Lino.

You're right Jon B it was O0

tboy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:35:02 PM »
i never heard of lino being called nit, the stuff bought in rolls from the local hardware was definatly not linolium, it was oiled cloth  ie vinyl. lino is a very expensive material made from linseed oil.

teragram

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »
In the 50s and 60s the stuff we had on our stairs was called oil cloth, and it couldn't have been all that expensive 'cause we didn't have a lot.

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
People get mixed up with oil cloth and lino - oil cloth was more popular then because it was inexpensive. My mum always tells me that Grans house had beautiful thick terracotta tiles on the floors (which are really sought after now AND very pricey) and they hated them so they put down oil cloth on top instead - how weird is that?  :idiot2:  \ :D :)

teragram

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »
People get mixed up with oil cloth and lino - oil cloth was more popular then because it was inexpensive. My mum always tells me that Grans house had beautiful thick terracotta tiles on the floors (which are really sought after now AND very pricey) and they hated them so they put down oil cloth on top instead - how weird is that?  :idiot2:  \ :D :)

As weird as this Pussy,   I saw a house the other day getting a new solid oak front door fitted.  Passed the house this morning and the door is painted white :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:48:50 AM »

Oil cloth was used a lot in the 40s and 50s in the houses in Belfast and other places. It all depended how thick it was, as regards the cost, some was not a lot thicker than newspaper, this was cheap and favoured by the working classes,there was different designs for different places in the Small Houses..small black and white squares like checker boards, was popular for the small scullery, one disadvantage of this was killing The Cockroaches in the morning when you got up for work. When you lit the gas mantle on a cold winter morning the Roaches ran about in all directions, they where mostly congregated around the old black lead fire grates, hundreds of them as a young boy I had heavy boots with shods on the heels and toes...I wont go into details of what we done with the Roaches, but it was not pleasant, and really they were only doing what we were doing trying to do survive. Not one of the better memories I had of those days.

As regards lino or oil cloth, whatever you want to call it.  As a teenager I worked in 4 pubs on the Newtownards Road and none of them had Oil Cloth on the floor, it was always Tiled, for the very good reason almost every man smoked in those days, Between dropping the Cigarette Butts on the floor and and stomping them out with Hob Nailed Boots of workers, mostly Shipyard Workers the Oil Cloth would have had a short life span...The time I am talking about women where not allowed in the Bars only in Boxes 3 or four along the wall...depending on the size of the Pub. There was always a  small very heavy course Rope Material Mat at the enterences to the Pubs for wiping the Boots before entering...

Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
As weird as this Pussy,   I saw a house the other day getting a new solid oak front door fitted.  Passed the house this morning and the door is painted white :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

:o OUTRAGEOUS!!  :tickedoff:

mealey

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
Hi Montrose. loved your comments on the pubs, I used to work in the Vulcan bar whem Jim McNally managed it, and I also did a few stints in other McCann & Braithwaite houses such as the Belvoir bar . The Vulcan and the Scotch Row could have rivaled the Crown bar for their original decor and as you said not a trace of Lino or oilcloth in sight. .Sammy
Sammy Mealey