Author Topic: CHILDRENS IRISH DANCING CLASSES IN BELFAST?  (Read 13043 times)

Lillikins

CHILDRENS IRISH DANCING CLASSES IN BELFAST?
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:49 PM »
Could anyone living in West Belfast tell me if there are any Irish Dancing schools for children - that DO NOT REQUIRE THEM to  look like Barbie dolls with these ridiculous wigs, fake tans and awful looking cardboard costumes?
What ever happened to the REAL dancing schools where children were allowed to be THEMSELVES,  and where parents were not put under pressure to provide them with extravagantly priced outfits?  It is nice to see a smartly turned out School of Dancing in costumes that do not cost the earth! But the present day costumes are 'over the top'.
Surely there must be at least one or two of these dancing classes left in Belfast or have they all been taken over by MONEY ORIENTATED dance teachers?

Christopher

Re: CHILDRENS IRISH DANCING CLASSES IN BELFAST?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
Someone at An Cultúrlann may be able to answer that one O0

Lillikins

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »
Thanks Christopher, will give that a try. O0

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
When you mention money orientated do you mean the teachers receive a commission for recommending a outfitters who sell Irish dance items?

The costumes and wigs must cost the parents a fortune. If they can't afford the items does that mean the children aren't permitted to go to classes and enter competitions?

Traditional Irish musicians don't have such problem O0

celine

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:45:44 AM »
Don't think your going to find another Leo Madden's Lillikins.  I see Irish Dancers over here in Oz., and their costumes are dreadful these days, gone are the embrodery and beautiful patterns, they now have ugly shinny materials that stick out like Tu-Tus. Do you think you and I could go back to the dancing of our childhood??

Shylock

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
I'm in Oz and there are 2 Irish dance schools near us. One lot enters all the competitions etc and the other lot doesn't. Some of the dresses are horrendously expensive, I know 'cos our oldest girl did it for a while. She took part in several Irish Dancing Tattoos and we had tp pay off her dress, a bit at a time, they also did fundraising to help reduce the cost. I always wanted to have a go at making an Irish dance dress and one of the other mums asked me to have a go. .it was a typical style with contrast flashes behind the pleats, made from black veleveteen with metallic braid appliaued in celtic knotwork. The time it took to complete and the labour involved was unbelievable, mainly 'cos I didn't know what I was doing and didn't have a pattern to work off! The long shot was the dress worked out fine tho prob not good enough to enter comps. The dancer didn't mind, she was delighted with it as it was and has worn it at many celtic festivals around the state, She wasn't entering comps so was quite happy with her dress. then I had to alter another dress for a dancer [actually it was more a remake than an alteration!] but had to salvage all the embroidery as the it alone was worth over $400! I never got to learn the Irish dancing, tho a friend of mine used to go when I lived in Belfast and she taught us just a wee bit. .. mainly the "back 2, 3's" and the sevens!

Lillikins

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
CELINE - If you still have your dancing pumps then I think there just might be a chance of you and me getting back to them days of our irish dancing!  ;D   That's a blast from the past - Leo Maddens - of all the steps we were taught, I never progressed much further than the 'Sevens' which, by the way, I still remember well and can  do every step of them!   
And so can my grandaughter.   

CHRISTOPHER - I don't know WHO exactly is making all the money from these expensive outfits but SOMEBODY is raking it in!  It must be very disheartening for any child who would love to participate in the irish dancing - enter competitions -  but can't due to their families on low incomes and unable to get kitted out in those VERY expensive and distasteful costumes! :(

SHYLOCK - You must be handy with the oul sewing machine - do you do the embroidery as well?  There used to be some really beautiful celtic designs on different dancing schools costumes. And I would certainly believe that a tremendous lot of work went into the embroidery,  let alone the rest of the dress. Good for you that you are gifted in this way! O0

Maybe Celine, yourself and I should start up our own wee dancing school on the forum - At least we all know our Sevens and that's a start.  And Christopher could provide the traditional irish dancing music.  ;)

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
Dance.net has a few tips on making Irish dancing costumes http://tinyurl.com/9jbf8a

Lillikins

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »
   :o ;D

Thanks for that info Christopher

DOFFER

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »
reading this post  brought two things to mind
ne when i was a kid i used to go to mrs kearneys dance school i was the only prod there that was late 40s early50s ,then i found rock &roll lol

two at weekend i had my 5 yr old grand daughter staying with me  she has never been to ireland her father my son only twice hes now 40 , the little one loves to play show biz with me she stand by kitchen door i introduce her ie ladies &gentlemen for your entertainment i give you taylor etc  on sunday  she rushed in nana nana quick introduce me right now so all stopped for the big show ,she put her dear little arms by her side and leapt in the air legs straggling everywhere shouting see nana irish jig my dad tought me ,
best irish jig iv ever seen bless her ,,,,re the outfits i was nevergood enough at the danceing to get an fancy dress but even back then i know they were expensive to have made,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Shylock

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »

Above is a link to the photo of Irish dance dress I made. . not sure if its gonna work 'cos this is my first time at trying to post fotos... The foto shows 4 dancers wearing different styles of dresses - I made the black one [2nd from left.]  The gorgeous blue one was imported from Ireland and [I believe would cost at least $1,000 if not more - this is an educated guess!] the pink one is a more modern design [and is quite popular among dancers now] and the black dress on the extreme right was also a home made dress [can't claim the credit for this one!] tho it has much more drape and none of the stiffness of the older style dresses
 I thought I did a reasonable job on Bridie's dress considering the pattern I started off with was for an American cheerleader's tunic, which had no sleeves or waistline seam! It took me about 70 hours or so to get this done. I don't have an embroidery machine[cost prohibitive] so had to use the metallic braid instead, I actually rather like the look of the knotwork. I'm a member of a newsgroup dedicated to Irish dance dressmakers and the info they have on their msg boards are just great, A lot of them use the feisdress pattern and the makers of the pattern are actually who organise the group and they're always willing to help out with detailed help. I've learnt heaps on this group but am still not game to try another. . very daunting and the dress had to be so stiff!! The skirt was so stiff it stood up all by itself! I will also add a photo of my daughter in her "school dress" taken on St. Pat's Day approx 2002/2003

Lillikins

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »
WOW Shylock!  They are beautiful photos you put on here. O0
That dress you made looks wonderful - your daughter and all the pretty young dancers look lovely in their colourful costumes. Isn't it nice to see young dancers WITHOUT those awful curly wigs!
Thanks for posting your pics. O0  My daughter went to the Eileen Depo school of irish dancing many years ago.  But she didn't stay at it for too long though.

Shylock

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »

Thought I'd post another foto , this shows my daughter's school dress from the front - gives a better impression of the whole dress. This dress cost $400 about 8 yrs ago and that was a subsidised price after the group had done fundraisers to help pay for them. These were beautifully embroidered and this dress has been loaned to several other dancers over the years and has even gone overseas when some of the girls did a tour over there. oh and the other one is the side view which I fiddled with to get special effects...first tiime doing this! but I love the effect, I called it Tracey in fairyland - cos it looks like she's just seen all the fairies sparkling around her!

Val

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »
Shylock, the dresses are beautiful and the pictures are great. Well done for tackling a big job like that.  They are very expensive here in Canada as well and the schools have different fund raisers to help with the costs. It is a very expensive hobby.

Val  O0

tboy

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
its amazing that after a few short years  a parent and child that have been "fanatical" about irish dancing can loose there enthusiasim. why is this ? GAA players and boxers for instance keep a lifelong affinity to there first love.