Author Topic: CHILDRENS IRISH DANCING CLASSES IN BELFAST?  (Read 13042 times)

cathy bell

Re: CHILDRENS IRISH DANCING CLASSES IN BELFAST?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »
Hi Shylock,
The dress you made is just beautiful, you must have the patience of a saint.
I like your dress best out of the four, your dress reminds me of what the dresses were like when I was growing up, and that was a long time ago  ;D
I grew up in Ligoniel in the 40s & 50s, the priest in our parrish decided we needed to learn Irish dance so he brought a guy from St Patricks to teach us. The first night the priest introduced him to us almost was the last. When the priest said let me introduce you all to ( Mr DUCKY MALLON ) we all lost it laughing, ofcourse we got a couple of thumps on the head from the priests prayer book. When we got over that, DUCKY got up on the stage and proceeded to dance, to this day I have never seen anyone with such bandy legs, his little legs were going hell for leather, the sparks were almost flying ;D needless to say we couldn't' stop laughing nor did we learn much that first night. Still remember a few steps after all these years.

Shylock

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 06:06:12 AM »
VAL,
Thanks for your post, I have an aunt and uncle also in Canada, in Etobicoke wondering if that's anywhere near you?
TBOY,
Yes I know a lot of kids get bored with it after a while. My daughter found she couldn't keep it going 'cos she was attending University and working part-time to keep a roof over her head while studying and so there was neither the time nor the money to keep on dancing. She still has her dress, tho it no longer fits her and she won't let me sell it either! I actually tried it on and it actually fits me tho I don't really see myslef learning an irish jig at my age - i have enough fitness activiities with doing home help, checkout chick and playing b grade badminton!
CATHY,
Thank you so much for your kind compliments, I always wanted to learn the Irish dance but time alas was my enemy - money wasn't available when we were kids and now the money is there but i don't think I'd have the stamina. Mind you in our daughter's group there were a couple of 60 yrolds and they did really well, of course it was all done for fun and doing little mini shows in community halls  for St. Patrick's Day etc

celine

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 03:57:41 AM »
I will if you will, Lillikins - I still remember the sevens and the Horn Pipe, but only if you promise to play the accordian at the same time!!!

rhiaine

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
Hi. I was searching for an Irish Dance School in Belfast and came upon this conversation.
The pictures of the girls dress was beautiful, to the woman who made the dress you are very skilled.
I'm only 14 years of age. I have been to a dance school before, the teacher gained 3.50 every lesson and the people who make the Irish dancing dresses make so much money because of the cost of materials and the labour involved.
I also gave up my dance school because the teacher was too busy concentrating on the already brilliant, experienced dancers and not on the people who actually needed the lessons.
If you do find a dance school could you please contact me?

Dancer

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
rhiane,  What area do llive?  What type of Irish Dancing do you dance.  ie. Festival, Folk. Fies etc.  I know all about the prices of Fies Irish Dancing dresses as my daughter was a Champion dancer.  It won't matter which school you go to, there are always those who will be pushed by the teachers, it is a rat race in which school can achieve the most first and second places. If you have been to Feis coimision and find it difficult an too competitive, then your best bet would be Festival.  regards  Dancer

buttercup

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
           Two of my Daughters were champion Irish dancers, But I agree with everyone the price of costumes are rediculous and don,t get me started on the Wigs , how awful are they , unfortunately the children are judged on their appearence, some of these costumes cost in their thousands over here in Canada  and the cost of going to a Feis forget it, it,s a pity as I,m sure there are lots of talented little boys and girls who would love to be Irish dancers , but the parents can,t afford it .

Dancer

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 05:47:12 PM »
Yeh Buttercup, tell me about it.  It cost me a fortune on dresses, wigs, Latest heavy shoes etc.  My daughter went to Bredan Gillen, top of Ravenhill Road.  They won the Dance Drama at the worlds, I think it was 6 or 7 times.  This was the section I loved the best, my daughter was in 4 of the drama's, it is good fun but extremely competitive.  I always like going to competitions down South and over to Scotland.  Brendan's school was taken over by the Kennedy's  a very compeditive school, no two ways about that.  I always enjoyed the craic.
Dancer

eastmum1

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:16 PM »
Hi Lillikins,
I know its a long time since you posted the question about Irish Dancing Classes in Belfast. I'm sure my answer comes too late, but I want to answer to let others know what I do. In the 1960's a woman called Bernadette Mulholland broke off from the normal feis circuit and set up "Festival Irish Dance" in order to bring Irish Dancing to both sides of the community. It continues today throughout Northern Ireland at various school (several in Belfast!!) and the teachers belong to a group known as the FDTA (Festival Dance Teachers Association). My daughter attends the Kathy O'Connor school of Irish Dance and is just after getting a place at the U7 Ulster Chamionship. The beauty of Festival Irish Dance is that it hold on to the traditional values and hasn't got carried away like feis has. The dresses are simple, old style, and the girls and boys simply wear their school costume - NO INDIVIDUAL COSTUMES!!! Hair is worn down with the school headband (no tiaras!!) and no fake tan or make-up allowed on girls under 16. The older girls wear black tights, so fake tan is out!!
Honestly, if you want to drop out of the feis madness, turn to festival. Believe me, the quality of dancing and competitiveness is still second to none, without all the nonsence!
Hope this is of help.
Oh.... and the style of dance is much more beautiful. Less of the  mad, fast, jiggy, jumpy dancing that has come of World Championships. festival dancing is much more flowing and balletic.

eastmum1

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
OH.  and NO ridiculous wigs!!

kraftcheese

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Hi Lillikins,
I know its a long time since you posted the question about Irish Dancing Classes in Belfast. I'm sure my answer comes too late, but I want to answer to let others know what I do. In the 1960's a woman called Bernadette Mulholland broke off from the normal feis circuit and set up "Festival Irish Dance" in order to bring Irish Dancing to both sides of the community. It continues today throughout Northern Ireland at various school (several in Belfast!!) and the teachers belong to a group known as the FDTA (Festival Dance Teachers Association). My daughter attends the Kathy O'Connor school of Irish Dance and is just after getting a place at the U7 Ulster Chamionship. The beauty of Festival Irish Dance is that it hold on to the traditional values and hasn't got carried away like feis has. The dresses are simple, old style, and the girls and boys simply wear their school costume - NO INDIVIDUAL COSTUMES!!! Hair is worn down with the school headband (no tiaras!!) and no fake tan or make-up allowed on girls under 16. The older girls wear black tights, so fake tan is out!!
Honestly, if you want to drop out of the feis madness, turn to festival. Believe me, the quality of dancing and competitiveness is still second to none, without all the nonsence!
Hope this is of help.
Oh.... and the style of dance is much more beautiful. Less of the  mad, fast, jiggy, jumpy dancing that has come of World Championships. festival dancing is much more flowing and balletic.
I've enjoyed reading about this and I hope Lillikins sees it.   :)
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

arkie

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
    mar. 2012

arkie

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

Lillikins

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
Hello eastmum1 and everyone interested in this topic. I haven't been back on the forum much this while back - I had a wee stroke  over the past year or so (well on the mend now)  but I have enjoyed reading some of the forums postings.  I am glad to read your input regarding the Irish Dancing. So refreshing to read this.  Apart from all the outrageous tans, wigs etc the kids themselves put in SO MUCH HARD WORK AND PRACTICE without  having to worry about all the decorations. Good luck to them all in their future dancing.

Arkie - those are beautiful photos of the little dancers at a wedding. ;)

cyprus girl

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 04:47:56 AM »
Hi Lillikins hope you're well on the way to recovering, that can be a very scary thing to have happened to you.
    Lilli did you come from Cyprus st? or know anyone from there?
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

kraftcheese

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
Hello Lillikins. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well.  Great that you're on the mend.  Take care.  :-*
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.